states that looking to maybe legal pot in 2019

ASH

Even CO bans firearm carry to those that use pot both Medical and Recreational. 

I wonder how many pot smokers in CO, know this? 

If Pot is "legal" in CO, why would they jump to "Illegal" as far as firearms and permit to carry is concerned and use the federal Statute as a guide.

Edited by steve4102
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

I get what you're saying. Not legal on the Fed level, but as far as the State of Alaska is concerned...…..LEGAL.

OK, if it is "legal" can a user legally purchase or possess a firearm and/or ammunition in the State of Alaska?

15 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Might depend on what they are using. CBD shouldn't be a problem. 

I am not for recreational marijuana legalization for a long list of reasons.

However, i have a Dr. friend with a grand son who suffered hundreds of seizures a day.  Charlot's Web...changed his life forever.   He's now down to one or two and can actually learn something in school.

I can clearly see it's uses medically.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve4102 said:

if it’s a felony you should be able to show me the long list of Alaskans being arrested and convicted. 

However, the reality is they’ve turned a blind eye to it in states where they’ve legalized it. So despite your protests, it’s not a felony. 

fel·o·ny

Dictionary result for felony

/ˈfelənē/
noun

1. a crime, typically one involving violence, regarded as more serious than a misdemeanor, and usually punishable by imprisonment for more than one year or by death.

It is a felony to lie on your Federal Form 4473
    If anything proves you are a "User of", you are a prohibited person and if you are in possession of any firearm or ammunition, that would be felony #2.

Having the two together transforms into at least one felony and the LEO may decide whether it is worthwhile or not.

Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g),
    It shall be unlawful for any person (...) who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. § 802) (...) to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

Maple Valley medical marijuana grower charged in self-defense shooting

A Maple Valley man accused of shooting two people during a home-invasion robbery at his home and marijuana grow now faces federal charges, as do his alleged assailants.

Investigators contend Justin Loken was growing and selling marijuana from his suburban house in August when he shot a robber and an unwitting accomplice after a home-invasion robbery. Loken, a 38-year-old medical marijuana supplier, now faces years in federal prison if convicted and could lose his house.

The charges against Loken come at a time when state and federal marijuana laws are entirely out of sync, and federal authorities’ aims regarding pot remain unclear.

Washington state law allows marijuana possession for personal use and marijuana cultivation for medical purposes, but pot is still absolutely banned under federal law. While they appear disinterested in doing so, federal authorities can prosecute medical marijuana growers.

Speaking Friday, Loken’s defense attorney Keith Hall said it appears federal prosecutors have drawn a line and will prosecute marijuana growers who use guns to protect themselves.

“People just don’t know this,” said Hall of Newton & Hall Attorneys at Law. “If you are going to have a marijuana grow and you’re going to have guns around, you’re going to get in trouble. …

“The law is clear, and how (federal prosecutors) apply the law can sometimes change, but it appears to me that they’re going to go after these people.

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Maple-Valley-medical-marijuana-grower-charged-in-4965683.php

Williams’ case stems from his involvement in Montana Cannabis, a large medical marijuana grow operation with a greenhouse in Helena and operations around the state.

It was one of scores of medical marijuana businesses around Montana that sprang up after voters legalized the medical use of cannabis in 2004. But marijuana remains illegal under federal law, and federal agents raided many of those businesses in March 2011.

All the other people charged in connection with those raids made plea agreements with the government; Williams was the only one to insist upon a trial.

The judge pointed out, partly for the benefit of about 30 people who crowded the courtroom in support of Williams, that the severe sentences originally facing Williams stemmed almost solely from the gun charges, with penalties increasing for each additional weapons charge.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/montana-medical-marijuana-grower-gets-years-in-federal-prison/article_89211f90-6ca5-11e2-aa17-001a4bcf887a.html

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, ASH said:

that is true , BUT  when you got a loved one  with major health issues   you might see it different ,   people and kids are helped by hemp based meds  and etc  where traditional meds do not work .. it is all case by case basis .  seeing a loved one suffer  one would make different choices.

I'll settle for a perkaset.  Right now it is hydrocodone, that just takes the edge off.