Tough Season on the S End of the MS Flyway but....

Will Beararms

The rice fields around Stuttgart, AR were great. A supplier took my plant Supt.  And me up there a few times.  Made our limit on ducks each time, but almost gave me a heart attack slugging through the muck to get to the blind out in the middle of the rice field.

Ducks sure must like rice.

• Like 2

They like to go to the flooded timber in the morning after feeding in the rice all night. When the rice freezes, it gets crazy.    

They eat the invertebrate protein sources, nematodes, etc., in the timber to prepare for the trip back to the Pratie Pothole Region up North. They also pair bond, breed, hide and loaf in the woods. 

The Sportsman’s Drive Inn in Stuttgart  has a great burger FWIW. 

3 hours ago, willie-pete said:

The rice fields around Stuttgart, AR were great. A supplier took my plant Supt.  And me up there a few times.  Made our limit on ducks each time, but almost gave me a heart attack slugging through the muck to get to the blind out in the middle of the rice field.

Ducks sure must like rice.

Last time I hunted Stuttgart we limited out every AM by 8. Pretty expensive hour and a half but worth every penny. 

• Like 2

I was the Plant Manager at a plant in spring hill, LA, my Plant Supt, Lewis, Was a former Marine. We bought a lot of drums from Florida Drum Corp., so each year they would invite us to go hunt ducks in Stuttgart. The first time we went there were other FDC customers with us.  We had to walk through the marsh muck to get to the blind. That damn muck would try to suck you down and it took effort to pull each step out of the mud. Almost killed me.

There were five of use customers, the guide and his dog. At the blind, the guide was in first then three others, then Me, Lewis and the dog next to Lewis and the blind door.  The guide told us to be quite so as not to scare the ducks off, of course.  As daylight approached, Lewis was getting more excited and whispering how good this was and of course the dog was getting more excited too, keying off Lewis.

As it got closer to daylight, Lewis and the dog were getting worse and worse. Finally the guide looked down the row and in a loud whisper said “ sit down and shut up”.

Lewis sat ramrod straight up in his best Marine Corps brace looking straight ahead.  The guide looked down the row at him and said with a bit of discust in his voice,

“ I was talking to the dog “

:anim_rofl2:

When we were finished, they took our ducks and gave us cleaned ducks from the prior group that had already been cleaned and dressed and frozen,

To this day I have not been able to convince my wife that we weren’t catin’ around somewhere and stopped by Kroger’s on the way home to get frozen ducks.

Edited by willie-pete
  • Haha 1