Term limits

Dric902

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz and Republican Rep. Francis Rooney proposed a Constitutional amendment on Thursday that would impose term limits on members of both houses of Congress.

The amendment, co-sponsored by Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Mike Lee (R-Utah), and David Perdue (R-Ga.), would restrict senators to two six-year terms and House members to three two-year terms. A similar amendment was proposed by Cruz in January of 2017.

“For too long, members of Congress have abused their power and ignored the will of the American people,” Cruz said. “Term limits on members of Congress offer a solution to the brokenness we see in Washington, D.C. It is long past time for Congress to hold itself accountable. I urge my colleagues to submit this constitutional amendment to the states for speedy ratification.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As in other cases, this is an admirable cause but due to failure, when asking the newly rich to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

I can't envision any future to this, other than another grandstand play by the authors.

I would dearly like to see this come to pass, but I have no faith in our representatives caring, or even considering, what is actually good for this nation and its people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Oh, this is a no-brainer. Wait, what is the process to amend the Constitution? Oh yeah, the Constitution provides that an amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures. Only need 2/3 of both houses of Congress. We're talking about people whose only priority is to keep themselves in office, voting to legislate themselves OUT of office. Sure, that's going to happen. Of course we could get 2/3 of state legislatures to call for a Constitutional Convention. When is the last time that happened? I think never.

This is about as useful as calling for Trump's impeachment. Or Medicare for all. New House votes for it, McConnell and the Senate say, uh, nope. The House will be a train wreck for 2 years. The Senate will do virtually nothing. And in two years we will ridicule all the idiots running for office in other states, and reelect our own. Sometimes it does seem we get the government we deserve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

This would be outstanding if only it were real.

People like John ******* Conyers whom I was stuck with as my congress critter until he was FORCED to resign are why this is a great idea. It would be nice to actually take out the trash occasionally.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only reason there aren't term limits is because those in power don't want them.  Even if they were enacted today, I don't see them as doing any good.

I'm highly skeptical that the US can survive the next democratic takeover.  They have swung so far to the left, that I can honestly imagine democratic attempts to criminalize all conservative thought and discourse.  The political process has become so corrupt and bastardized the last few years that we are quickly approaching the 2nd amendment failsafe option.

• Like 1

We already have comprehensive term limits. We call them "elections".

Elections have consequences. They matter.

Getting rid of bad politicians is one thing, but law like this would get rid of good politicians, too. I want the option to keep the good ones and get rid of the bad ones.

Vote!

Problem with term limits is that politicians have to steal, embezzle and graft as much as they can as quickly as they can.  Also, knowing they are limited, they will pass whatever legislation puts the most cash in their pockets.  They will not represent their districts or citizens, only cash.  What'cha gonna do, fire them?

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:17 PM, Dric902 said:

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz and Republican Rep. Francis Rooney proposed a Constitutional amendment on Thursday that would impose term limits on members of both houses of Congress.

The amendment, co-sponsored by Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Mike Lee (R-Utah), and David Perdue (R-Ga.), would restrict senators to two six-year terms and House members to three two-year terms. A similar amendment was proposed by Cruz in January of 2017.

“For too long, members of Congress have abused their power and ignored the will of the American people,” Cruz said. “Term limits on members of Congress offer a solution to the brokenness we see in Washington, D.C. It is long past time for Congress to hold itself accountable. I urge my colleagues to submit this constitutional amendment to the states for speedy ratification.”

I like it.  If it should work for the Executive the same needs to be applied to the legislative.  It would end a lot of logger heads, and people actually looking to be Representatives to constituents rather than politics, and self aggrandizement.  It will never happen, because the retirements are great.  The fastest retirements with full benefits (not a FERS program them) in a very short time.  But, when the foxes are guarding the hen house, I don't expect much.

Edited by Moshe