I Caught Her

Moshe

My wife professes to hate dogs, always has.  I heard her letting out my GSD out of his night crate, "It's time for you to go outside you cute adorable-"

I come around the corner and she stops midsentence, "-er, that I hate, time for you go outside."

Busted she likes my dog after all.  Now my daughter's 2.5 Rat Terrier puppy she will dote on, because he is a "baby".  Both have interesting personalities.  My GSD would rather play outside most of the day, but loves to come in and get his chest scratched.  He'll come sit by me to get petted and loved on.  He is only noisy outside.  Inside, unless someone comes to the door he is very calm.

Not the rat terrier he is pretty smart too.  I always talk to my dogs with either/or questions, which they let me know.  Do you want to go outside and eat and drink, or would you like to lay down.  If my big boy lays down on the big carpet in the Living room, he is telling me he wants to chill.  If he goes to the back door and does jumping circles, he is telling me his other preference.

The rat terrier puppy that get's dotted on hates the flue, that both my wife and daughter play.  I swear he howls "Noooooooo!"  I took him to the other side of the house to keep him from being in pain.  I swear one day he howled, "I hate yoouuuuu!"  But, when the kids are away I am his main care giver.  So, in huge pen inside where I started my GSD as a puppy.  Mainly for his safety, as he is bite sized for the GSD, who wants to play with him like he is a big dog.

I will feed and water him, and ask him if he wants "Out."  So, like my GSD he learns words.  Where he got "I hate you," I am not sure unless it was sibling rivalry.  Anyway, I will go in there, and ask him if he wants out, and if he wants he will repeat "Ouuut."  So, I let him out to romp all over the house and do what Rat Terriers do, go into tight spaces and pretending to kill rodents.  I have to watch him as he often puts weird things in his mouth, just like my GSD did as a puppy.  They get past that phase of having to sniff and taste things eventually, much like human toddlers.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moshe said:

My wife professes to hate dogs, always has.  I heard her letting out my GSD out of his night crate, "It's time for you to go outside you cute adorable-"

I come around the corner and she stops midsentence, "-er, that I hate, time for you go outside."

Busted she likes my dog after all.  Now my daughter's 2.5 Rat Terrier puppy she will dote on, because he is a "baby".  Both have interesting personalities.  My GSD would rather play outside most of the day, but loves to come in and get his chest scratched.  He'll come sit by me to get petted and loved on.  He is only noisy outside.  Inside, unless someone comes to the door he is very calm.

Now the rat terrier he is pretty smart too.  I always talk to my dogs with either/or questions, which they let me know.  Do you want to go outside and eat and drink, or would you like to lay down.  If my big boy lays down on the big carpet in the Living room, he is telling me he wants to chill.  If he goes to the back door and does jumping circles, he is telling me his other preference.

The rat terrier puppy that get's dotted on hates the flute, that both my wife and daughter play.  I swear he howls "Noooooooo!"  I took him to the other side of the house to keep him from being in pain.  I swear one day he howled, "I hate yoouuuuu!"  But, when the kids are away I am his main care giver.  So, in huge pen inside where I started my GSD as a puppy.  Mainly for his safety, as he is bite sized for the GSD, who wants to play with him like he is a big dog.

I will feed and water him, and ask him if he wants "Out."  So, like my GSD he learns words.  Where he got "I hate you," I am not sure unless it was sibling rivalry.  Anyway, I will go in there, and ask him if he wants out, and if he wants he will repeat "Ouuut."  So, I let him out to romp all over the house and do what Rat Terriers do, go into tight spaces and pretending to kill rodents.  I have to watch him as he often puts weird things in his mouth, just like my GSD did as a puppy.  They get past that phase of having to sniff and taste things eventually, much like human toddlers.

3 hours ago, Moshe said:

Not the rat terrier he is pretty smart too.  I always talk to my dogs with either/or questions, which they let me know.  Do you want to go outside and eat and drink, or would you like to lay down.  If my big boy lays down on the big carpet in the Living room, he is telling me he wants to chill.  If he goes to the back door and does jumping circles, he is telling me his other preference.

The rat terrier puppy that get's dotted on hates the flue, that both my wife and daughter play.  I swear he howls "Noooooooo!"  I took him to the other side of the house to keep him from being in pain.  I swear one day he howled, "I hate yoouuuuu!"  But, when the kids are away I am his main care giver.  So, in huge pen inside where I started my GSD as a puppy.  Mainly for his safety, as he is bite sized for the GSD, who wants to play with him like he is a big dog.

Good for you! 

I talk to my dog all the time.  They will find some way to convey their wants and needs, if you just pay attention to them.

Lately, mine is feeling his age and comes to me relentlessly for attention.  Sometimes I simply have to stop what I'm doing, and just sit with him in a comfy chair while he sleeps on my chest.  I guess at his 18 years, anxiety begins to be a big factor.  So I do what I can to make sure he knows I still want and care for him.

Kudos to the critters!

• Like 3

My dogs are intent on turning me into a cat person. The cats are making absolutely positively sure that will NEVER happen.  The guineas hate me (they hate everyone).  The rabbits either run away or attack my arm.  The duck is indifferent.  Only the chickens return my love.  Except that retarded one that insists on roosting on the top of the coop, 10' up, all night long, taunting the owls in the woods behind the house. And me. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

My dogs are intent on turning me into a cat person. The cats are making absolutely positively sure that will NEVER happen.  The guineas hate me (they hate everyone).  The rabbits either run away or attack my arm.  The duck is indifferent.  Only the chickens return my love.  Except that retarded one that insists on roosting on the top of the coop, 10' up, all night long, taunting the owls in the woods behind the house. And me. 

Yesterday I found quite a bit of Blue Jay feathers at the bottom of a 15' pole for the tv and sat antennas.

The significance here is that, I have a 6' long bird feeder in my back yard (with a roof over the seed).  I love seeing the birds wading through the seed, nuts and fruit, trying to find just the right one.

Now I find evidence that I may be providing a feeding station for the predators too.  No good deed goes unpunished.  Keep trying with the critters, a few will find out how to return your good efforts for them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Foxterriermom said:

Some day I would like to have a large dog.  Of the 6 I have had/have, none have been bigger than 15 pounds.

I thought a lot about that too.  I finally couldn't do it.  My friends and neighbors have big dogs, and it seems that the bigger they are, the shorter they are with me.   I couldn't stand to lose them more frequently.

If, and that's a big "if". If, I were to get a large dog, I would have no hesitation in getting a Rottie.  My experience with my neighbors two Rotties has convinced me that they are among the most lovable and kind family dogs I have seen. 

Her Rotties have come over to play with my Yorkie, and they are always cognizant of his small size.  They play at his pace so he won't get frustrated and quit.  They fast walk when they play "run".  They are as lovable to me as any dog I have had.

I have no doubt that they would fight for me or my dog, if need be.  They both are/were around 80 lbs.  She had them one at a time.  They live about 10 years. She is on her second one.   

Edited by janice6

I thought a lot about that too.  I finally couldn't do it.  My friends and neighbors have big dogs, and it seems that the bigger they are, the shorter they are with me.   I couldn't stand to lose them more frequently.

If, and that's a big "if". If, I were to get a large dog, I would have no hesitation in getting a Rottie.  My experience with my neighbors two Rotties has convinced me that they are among the most lovable and kind family dogs I have seen. 
Her Rotties have come over to play with my Yorkie, and they are always cognizant of his small size.  They play at his pace so he won't get frustrated and quit.  They fast walk when they play "run".  They are as lovable to me as any dog I have had.
I have no doubt that they would fight for me or my dog, if need be.  They both are/were around 80 lbs.  She had them one at a time.  They live about 10 years. She is on her second one.   

Rots are good dogs. It’s all in the training and relationship with their owner. We have all seen mean ass chihuahua’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, janice6 said:

Yesterday I found quite a bit of Blue Jay feathers at the bottom of a 15' pole for the tv and sat antennas.

The significance here is that, I have a 6' long bird feeder in my back yard (with a roof over the seed).  I love seeing the birds wading through the seed, nuts and fruit, trying to find just the right one.

Now I find evidence that I may be providing a feeding station for the predators too.  No good deed goes unpunished.  Keep trying with the critters, a few will find out how to return your good efforts for them.

I have Hawks here that nest in the woods.  They come around sometimes when the birds are at the feeders.  Few years ago I saw one swoop down in the yard and up it went with a snake in it's claws

Edited by DrB
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrB said:

I have Hawks here that nest in the woods.  They come around sometimes when the birds are at the feeders.  Few years ago I saw one swoop down in the yard and up it went with a snake in it's claws

My kids hate the hawks that live here because they swoop down and fly off with half grown chickens. Nearly always someone's favorite half-grown chick, of course.   I cannot seem to convince the kids that the hawks (and the duck-murdering Great Horned Owl) are just behaving naturally - predators will do what predators do.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

My kids hate the hawks that live here because they swoop down and fly off with half grown chickens. Nearly always someone's favorite half-grown chick, of course.   I cannot seem to convince the kids that the hawks (and the duck-murdering Great Horned Owl) are just behaving naturally - predators will do what predators do.

Predators have to eat.  It is the way..  In nature natural life is that way..

Dave

• Like 1