Bought a new car and know I’m a criminal and a dork

Moeman

Dork : waking all over a parking lot looking for my Mercedes convertible, thinking, what the hell? Then I remembered I got a new car the day before.

criminal: live is a hot weather state, and got all windows tinted including the windshield. Front side windows are not supposed to be tinted, went light on it; windshield clear tint but it still has good heat rejection.

the car a Honda Accord touring 2.0T. Every option in their play book. Heated and ventilated seats, steer wheel paddle shifters ona a 10 speed tranny, 19” wheels with Michelin tires, adjustable dampeners etc. 0-60 in 5.5 seconds over 100 mph in the 1/4 mile. Only weakness I see, is the 10 speaker sound system, it is OK, but my Mercedes with Harmon Kardon audio was much better especially the subwoofer comparison. Used Costco buying and got it (2018) $1,900 under invoice.

good time of year to buy most any 2018...

Edited by Moeman
  • Like 1

Just  bought a new car today too.  Went in for oil change and came home with a new car instead.

Had to call the wife to warn her that the new car was the same color as the old one, so she wouldn't think I went senile and paid for the same car twice...….

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Just  bought a new car today too.  Went in for oil change and came home with a new car instead.

Had to call the wife to warn her that the new car was the same color as the old one, so she wouldn't think I went senile and paid for the same car twice...….

What did ya get?

43 minutes ago, Presguy said:

Congrats to both of you.

I can't wait to try an Accord with the new Turbo 4. The old V-6 was a sneaky fast car, and I bet yours is too.

And I'm slightly envious of your ventilated seats - the only option I really wanted when I bought my last car that wasn't even offered.

Yeah, got the Touring there are no options available, the turbo gives it 278 ft/lbs of torque at 1500 rpm... real grunt. Has all the new tech, adaptive cruise control, auto emergency  stop, Apple and Android support including wireless charging. One can even have WiFi (I won’t, don’t need more data bills). Son likes the rear seat heaters since he runs cold. Stick it in sport mode, shift points change, steering rate tightens and the dampers go more firm. 

12 minutes ago, Moeman said:

Yeah, got the Touring there are no options available, the turbo gives it 278 ft/lbs of torque at 1500 rpm... real grunt. Has all the new tech, adaptive cruise control, auto emergency  stop, Apple and Android support including wireless charging. One can even have WiFi (I won’t, don’t need more data bills). Son likes the rear seat heaters since he runs cold. Stick it in sport mode, shift points change, steering rate tightens and the dampers go more firm. 

Be careful with the adaptive cruise control.  The first time I was driving cross country on a state divided highway in cruise, tracking the car in front of me, I got near a farm town and the car in front of me suddenly slowed down and pulled to the shoulder to make a driveway turn off.

All of a sudden my car started braking hard because it could still see him, even though I was passing him.  I found myself damn near stopped in the right hand lane of a major highway.

Of course, when he made his turn, my cruise kicked in and took me back to 70 mph again. I don't like coming to a quick stop while still in the lane of a high speed highway.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Taipei Personality said:

I bought a 2018 Toyota Highlander in August. The adaptive cruise control took a bit of getting used to, but now I love it!

I had it for 3 years now and it's great.  But, I still don't trust it completely.  You never know when it's going to work like all fool proof electronics and suddenly do something stupid.

When the line of traffic is slowing down for a stop, I'm always hovering over the brake, "just in case".  But in truth, it's been good so far. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I had it for 3 years now and it's great.  But, I still don't trust it completely.  You never know when it's going to work like all fool proof electronics and suddenly do something stupid.

When the line of traffic is slowing down for a stop, I'm always hovering over the brake, "just in case".  But in truth, it's been good so far. 

This. All the beeping and flashing lights does nothing for my confidence. 

I went to the concierge at the dealership and had them show me how to turn most of the stuff off. Damned if the car wasn't close to self aware before. Now, I'm the driver again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BamaBud said:

This. All the beeping and flashing lights does nothing for my confidence. 

I went to the concierge at the dealership and had them show me how to turn most of the stuff off. Damned if the car wasn't close to self aware before. Now, I'm the driver again.

I think a combo approach is best... I set it at a realativy short gap distance, cause here is there is any “gap” someone will wedge in. If I see brake lights I simply tap the brake coast and break in. What is cool is stop and go traffic jams, which are common here. ( not many new almost none of the old apdative cruise controls can do this... the March of tech.

meet up with a friend and he just bought his second Dodge charger, went from the V6 to an 8. Cool car, he used Costco too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, janice6 said:

Absolutely agree!

• Like 1

Only European cars in our garage. Currently two BMWs. Mainly due to my wife's preferences. She won't own a Japanese car. Maybe its the Nebraska upbringing, I don't know. Funny thing is, she's 100% third generation Japanese. After over 30 years of marriage I've decided its probably too late to address the identity crisis. I doubt I'll ever buy another new car, too many of them seem like toasters to me. I miss carburetors and points.

11 minutes ago, GPM said:

Only European cars in our garage. Currently two BMWs. Mainly due to my wife's preferences. She won't own a Japanese car. Maybe its the Nebraska upbringing, I don't know. Funny thing is, she's 100% third generation Japanese. After over 30 years of marriage I've decided its probably too late to address the identity crisis. I doubt I'll ever buy another new car, too many of them seem like toasters to me. I miss carburetors and points.

Don’t miss carbs and points one bit. Also dont miss crappy: handling, gas mileage and the old maintenance schedules.

Nostalgia about muscle cars.... https://www.thrillist.com/cars/nation/10-classic-american-muscle-cars-that-are-slower-than-a-minivan-corvette-mustang-and-camaro

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GPM said:

Japanese people love German cars.  Must be a WWII thing...

13 hours ago, Moeman said:

Don’t miss carbs and points one bit. Also dont miss crappy: handling, gas mileage and the old maintenance schedules.

Nostalgia about muscle cars.... https://www.thrillist.com/cars/nation/10-classic-american-muscle-cars-that-are-slower-than-a-minivan-corvette-mustang-and-camaro

Completely understand. Most folks view cars as mostly appliances. Something to get you from A to B, or something to haul all your ****, or all your kids. A minority might be called either enthusiasts or masochists. The constant tinkering, tweaking, even cleaning is somehow therapeutic. I've even taken to modifying my 335i. I just can't seem to leave a car alone. Even though those German engineers think they've built the perfect automobile, I've so far replaced the suspension, exhaust, intake, intercooler, tires (hate run-flats), wheels and installed an ECU tune. Most of the changes make the car better from my perspective, though not worth nearly the money it costs. But, its something I've done to every car and motorcycle I've owned since I was 16. I'm guessing that after 55 years I'm not likely to get over it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GPM said:

Completely understand. Most folks view cars as mostly appliances. Something to get you from A to B, or something to haul all your ****, or all your kids. A minority might be called either enthusiasts or masochists. The constant tinkering, tweaking, even cleaning is somehow therapeutic. I've even taken to modifying my 335i. I just can't seem to leave a car alone. Even though those German engineers think they've built the perfect automobile, I've so far replaced the suspension, exhaust, intake, intercooler, tires (hate run-flats), wheels and installed an ECU tune. Most of the changes make the car better from my perspective, though not worth nearly the money it costs. But, its something I've done to every car and motorcycle I've owned since I was 16. I'm guessing that after 55 years I'm not likely to get over it.

Or just buy the Mseries version. 

13 hours ago, Moeman said:

Or just buy the Mseries version. 

But what's the fun in that? Besides, I'd just do the same thing and be out even more money. And then I'd run the risk of crossing that secret line in the sand that would result in my having to sleep in my overly expensive play toy. Came dangerously close to that years ago when I started modifying a Viper. After her first ride the wife told me that anyone wanting to make that damn thing faster was an idiot. Performed most of the modifications at a friend's house. I suspect she still thinks I'm an idiot though.

• Haha 1