Bourbon

Gun Shark

My daily regular stuff is Beam. On occasion I'll spend a bit more. It's Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage, Bulleit 10year usually. I still need to try the Bulleit Rye. Blanton's when I get spendy. Never cared much for Makers. I feel it's overpriced and harsh. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 8:21 PM, Huskerbuttons said:

Oh and you sip it, neat. It's not like doing a shot. For god sakes, no ice, water, or Coke in it. Slow and easy, sip, letting it roll over your tongue and taste buds. Once it's down, slightly open your mouth and breath in through your mouth and nose slowly. You'll taste the different flavors of the bourbon. 

I just haven't been able to acquire a taste for bourbon. The ones I've tried seem oily.

I found some Old Weller at work the other day. I think I'll try it just to see if it's better than what I've had before.

9 hours ago, O4L said:

I just haven't been able to acquire a taste for bourbon. The ones I've tried seem oily.

I found some Old Weller at work the other day. I think I'll try it just to see if it's better than what I've had before.

Where do you work? I would like to find some bourbon at work too! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, stevekozak said:

Where do you work? I would like to find some bourbon at work too! 

I work part time at a non-profit that often has social events and fundraisers that include alcohol.

It's mostly wine but once in awhile I discover a bottle of liquor put away here or there.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, KWalrad said:

I picked up a bottle of Basil Hadens last week. Been eyeballing it since then trying to come up with a good reason to enjoy a snort.

Wednesday night sounds like a good enough reason.

Salude, my friends!

Being awake is good enough reason for a snort of bourbon! 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, O4L said:

After reading some reviews on under $20 bourbons, I decided to give Evan Williams white label Bottled-In-Bond a try tonight.

I think I could get used to this smooth 100 proof sipping bourbon.aec3d0d6dc4f56e4262ed59ea8c57657.jpg

Out of curiousity, what did the bottle cost? Ive never seen white-labeled Evan before. 

Out of curiousity, what did the bottle cost? Ive never seen white-labeled Evan before. 
It was only $12.96 for 750ml. I'm enjoying some right now.

Here is the review that convinced me to try it

www.breakingbourbon.com/evan-williams-bottled-in-bond.html

6 minutes ago, O4L said:

It was only $12.96. I'm enjoying some right now.

www.breakingbourbon.com/evan-williams-bottled-in-bond.html

At that price, I am not losing anything to give it a try if I see it somewhere. After reading the review, I suspect it will be too sweet for my tastes, but if so, I will use it as a mix bourbon. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished a bottle of Bulleit last week, and it was pretty OK bourbon.

But with all this high fallutin' talk, my plain old, affordable go to is Turkey 101.  Just as with wild game, it's all in how you handle it before consumption.

I'll admit, the fresh pour reveals a bit of an ethanol vapor, but if you pour your sip, go take a shower, get relaxed for the evening, and THEN grab the glass, I think you'll find a pretty relaxing and safe, "I'm home now" bourbon.  I find it best to let them all breath a little.

In my opinion, the regional whiskies are nice, but to write about how great a bottle may be in southern Texas when I'm in Iowa and can't buy it is a little pointless.  Case in point:  My all time favorite is Templeton Rye, a local distribute.  It's received very high marks by gourmet whisky reviewers, but it's so limited in distribution, it's of little value as opinions go if my friends across the country can't find it.

I like to read about a nice bottle, go to my local liquor store, and buy it.  I'm just not going to mess with having one specially ordered in.

Just my $0.02, anyway.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jame said:

I just finished a bottle of Bulleit last week, and it was pretty OK bourbon.

But with all this high fallutin' talk, my plain old, affordable go to is Turkey 101.  Just as with wild game, it's all in how you handle it before consumption.

I'll admit, the fresh pour reveals a bit of an ethanol vapor, but if you pour your sip, go take a shower, get relaxed for the evening, and THEN grab the glass, I think you'll find a pretty relaxing and safe, "I'm home now" bourbon.  I find it best to let them all breath a little.

In my opinion, the regional whiskies are nice, but to write about how great a bottle may be in southern Texas when I'm in Iowa and can't buy it is a little pointless.  Case in point:  My all time favorite is Templeton Rye, a local distribute.  It's received very high marks by gourmet whisky reviewers, but it's so limited in distribution, it's of little value as opinions go if my friends across the country can't find it.

I like to read about a nice bottle, go to my local liquor store, and buy it.  I'm just not going to mess with having one specially ordered in.

Just my $0.02, anyway.

10 hours ago, O4L said:

It's a Bulleit night!

ee99dfa69797f630eec5f871b8658f8f.jpg

I used to drink some Bulleit, but it just got to sweet for me. I like a bit more bite in my boubon. I am with jame on WT101, it is a bit rough, but it is my kind of rough! 

• Like 1

I used to drink some Bulleit, but it just got to sweet for me. I like a bit more bite in my boubon. I am with jame on WT101, it is a bit rough, but it is my kind of rough! 
The WT 101 is on my short list of what to buy next.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:53 PM, O4L said:

It was only $12.96. I'm enjoying some right now. 

http://www.breakingbourbon.com/evan-williams-bottled-in-bond.html

I find reviews like this comically pretentious. It's bourbon for crying out loud!

Loads of sugary sweetness. Vanilla, caramel, a hint of gingerbread, and candied dark fruit pour forth from the glass in a balanced array sweet scents. It’s light on alcohol and absent of any woody or oak notes making it quite nice, albeit heavy handed with the sweeter elements.

palate-headers-01a.png?crc=4136643703

It almost flattens out on my tongue, settling in the base of my mouth without the spicy, tingly pop on the roof of my mouth that I sometimes notice with higher proof bourbons. Like the nose, flavors of wood and oak are absent here, as sweet notes of vanilla, caramel, burnt brown sugar, and a touch of black pepper take over. It’s full flavored and assertive with a welcomed amount of heat, though I would still describe it as smooth for its proof. It has character, but it’s not complex by any means as it has a somewhat one-dimensional focus on sweeter elements.

finish-headers-01a.png?crc=4038369572The sweet elements from the palate dissipate quickly with a crisp and abrupt drop-off. A subtle bit of oak creeps in after that, giving way to a fairly dry, medium-length finish.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:53 PM, O4L said:

It's true that it's just bourbon, but even in my limited experience drinking bourbon neat, there are many differences in the smell and taste among the many bourbons available.

These differences may not be noticed as much if you only use Jack or Jim to mix with coke or to make cocktails, but when sipped neat (no water, no ice), the difference becomes very noticeable.

The reviews may seem a bit ridiculous for such an abundant American commodity, but it's an attempt to let others know what to expect from that particular bourbon.
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2017 at 8:24 PM, Budqueiser said:

My daily regular stuff is Beam. On occasion I'll spend a bit more. It's Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage, Bulleit 10year usually. I still need to try the Bulleit Rye. Blanton's when I get spendy. Never cared much for Makers. I feel it's overpriced and harsh. 

If you ever go tithe Maker's Mark distillery,  you will find the raw white liqueur to be better than the finished product.

• Like 1

On the rare occasion that I am in a mood for bourbon, I prefer Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve if sipping straight. If mixing, I will use Wild Turkey 101.

I saw someone mentioned Rebel Yell. For its price point, it is hard to beat. I usually drank too much of it though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alabusa said:

If you ever go tithe Maker's Mark distillery,  you will find the raw white liqueur to be better than the finished product.

I would like to try that sometime. I go to Lexington at least once per year. I need to visit a few places while out that way. 

• Like 1

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.