Colin Kaepernick headlines Nike ad campaign

pipedreams

58 minutes ago, jame said:

More proof that Nike may have made a good business decision.

They’re a branding and marketing company that’s in business to make money.  The louder people scream, the more coverage they get.

From all indications here, they’re doing pretty well, like it or not.

They have chosen sides, and all I can tell is that it's not my side.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fortyofforty said:

They have chosen sides, and all I can tell is that it's not my side.

Nor is it mine.

But, as a guy that’s been involved in both sales and purchasing throughout my career, I can promise that the more those against them squeal, the more press they’ll get.

I chose not to provide them that benefit.

It would be nice if members here and on other websites would understand that.  If they did, this would die quickly, and the marketing campaign would fail.

But we choose to assure their success, for some fucked up reason.

Whatever you think, it is undoubtedly true that many people in middle America buy Nikes, either for themselves or for their children.  It stands to reason that many of these customers will choose not to do so in the future.  More people saw the ad than would have otherwise, so from that perspective you are correct.  But if they view it negatively, it will hurt Nike.  This campaign will die, but the memories might linger, both good and bad.  When a company supports a cause and stands in opposition to what people believe, it should be brought to light.

• Like 1

I don't know why many of these companies feel they need to make a political statement.  I guess they think the public is so loyal to their brands we have no other options.  I used to like Nike.  It is a US company.  I have a short list of athletic brands I buy.  Nike is off that list.  Which reminds me, I need some new running shoes. :)

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Companies like Nike spend huge amounts of energy and money building and defending their brands.

Is this a calculated move that will increase Nike's brand value?  Or did they shoot themselves in the foot?  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, fortyofforty said:

Hell, even the Neo Nazis could use that Nike slogan.  Seriously, let's think about what that "something" is in which we believe.

One of my thoughts with the whole “Believe in Something” was a picture of Stalin, Lenin, Mao, Uncle Adolf, etc., all of whom killed a lot of their own followers, with the entire slogan underneath.  But that takes it waaayyy beyond the funny into the very uncomfortable truth.  Laughter will ALWAYS do more damage to stupidity than a truth which drives people to defend the stupid.

Hawk

On 9/9/2018 at 11:07 AM, jame said:

More proof that Nike may have made a good business decision.

They’re a branding and marketing company that’s in business to make money.  The louder people scream, the more coverage they get.

From all indications here, they’re doing pretty well, like it or not.

The Swoosh is all Nike's got; we'll see whether this changes how people feel about it long term. This caper has clearly tarnished the NFL shield, but maybe the pub will work out for Nike.  I sure hope not because the Swoosh deserves to go down.

2 hours ago, Slow Burn said:

The Swoosh is all Nike's got; we'll see whether this changes how people feel about it long term. This caper has clearly tarnished the NFL shield, but maybe the pub will work out for Nike.  I sure hope not because the Swoosh deserves to go down.

Other than the very hard right, this has had nothing to do with “tarnishing the NFL shield.”

The NFL has done that to themselves by means of bad play call rules (helmet to helmet penalty?), as well as concerns, be they valid or not, over concussion injuries and the long term validity of the sport.

If Nike has damaged pro ball, it most certainly damaged college ball as well, and I see no evidence of that either.

• Like 1

You think NFL ratings are in the tank and seats in the stadium are empty because of concussion injuries? Nothing to do with the fact that Kaepernick and his followers used audiences there to see a football game to broadcast their disrespect for law enforcement, the flag and the anthem? Because only "very hard right" sports fans are offended?

We live in totally different worlds, my friend.

15 hours ago, jame said:

Other than the very hard right, this has had nothing to do with “tarnishing the NFL shield.”

The NFL has done that to themselves by means of bad play call rules (helmet to helmet penalty?), as well as concerns, be they valid or not, over concussion injuries and the long term validity of the sport.

If Nike has damaged pro ball, it most certainly damaged college ball as well, and I see no evidence of that either.

Edited by Slow Burn

When a business angers customers, they stop going there, and they tell all their friends.  If you start getting political, you’re angering half the country.  Ask the Dixie Chicks, who bashed Bush.  Or ask Tom and Jerry, a very liberal company that never pushes politics, just ice cream.  

The saying that there is no such thing as bad publicity is only true up to a point.  After that point, it goes downhill.  You lose those you’ve pissed off, and the ones that you have’t pissed off won’t buy that much more.  And while you gain new customers, the word of mouth of those you angered will keep more away.  Lost profit means less upkeep, worse customer service, etc.  Downhill slide, which only gets worse with time.  If you are on top of the heap, you lose that, and not being top, you lose the lemmings.  You can fill in the rest.

It can be beaten (sometimes) by apologizing hard and fast.  

But don’t forget that Nike has upset a number of liberals with their Chinese sweat shops.  When you get both sides upset, it could get interesting.

Hawk

• Like 1

I am tired of seeing the commercial, thought it was kind of funny when at the end of it they celebrate Serena Williams who recently became the star tennis court bully. I mute the sound or change the channel.

Another funny thing has happened, I'm sure we all get shadow watched by google. I suddenly began getting Amazon pop up suggestions for New Balance shoes. I like what I see with those. The last 2 pair of athletic shoes I bought are the Reebok Z something. The deal was buy 1 get the second pair for $20. Both are still in good shape, but the NB might become a daily wear type shoe. The Reeboks are my heavy duty walking shoes.

I have heard several biz type people remark that the ad campaign is successful at getting the general swoosh customer interested in the brand and buying into the hype. Your investor type could care less about the politics message being delivered. Money has no feelings, goal is to make as much as possible and when the well begins to go dry, dump the stock.

Edited by ARP

14 hours ago, Slow Burn said:

You think NFL ratings are in the tank and seats in the stadium are empty because of concussion injuries? Nothing to do with the fact that Kaepernick and his followers used audiences there to see a football game to broadcast their disrespect for law enforcement, the flag and the anthem? Because only "very hard right" sports fans are offended?

We live in totally different worlds, my friend.

Ask the Green Bay Packers if their stadium was empty last weekend.

If you’re watching football for some deep, cryptic, political meaning, you never really knew the game to begin with.  You’re just another self righteous dude looking for a reason to be outraged at something.

Different worlds, indeed.  I’ve got a little heads up for you.  There are snowflakes  on the left.  But there are also snowflakes on the right.

5 hours ago, ARP said:

I am tired of seeing the commercial, thought it was kind of funny when at the end of it they celebrate Serena Williams who recently became the star tennis court bully. I mute the sound or change the channel.

Another funny thing has happened, I'm sure we all get shadow watched by google. I suddenly began getting Amazon pop up suggestions for New Balance shoes. I like what I see with those. The last 2 pair of athletic shoes I bought are the Reebok Z something. The deal was buy 1 get the second pair for $20. Both are still in good shape, but the NB might become a daily wear type shoe. The Reeboks are my heavy duty walking shoes.

I have heard several biz type people remark that the ad campaign is successful at getting the general swoosh customer interested in the brand and buying into the hype. Your investor type could care less about the politics message being delivered. Money has no feelings, goal is to make as much as possible and when the well begins to go dry, dump the stock.

Actually new balance is my preferred brand.  Long lasting and comfortable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

Actually new balance is my preferred brand.  Long lasting and comfortable.

I’m a Brooks guy, myself, but I’ve heard New Balance is good.

I’ve got neuropathy issues with my feet, athletic shoes area big deal for me.  I might try New Balance next time.

• Like 1