are the polymer 80 glock clones reliable?

DieselMcBadass

• 2 months later...
These appear more expensive than a Glock brand pistol. Other than no serial number, why build one?

No serial number, no registration, satisfaction of building your own firearm, frame that comes with beaver tail and undercut and stippled. Frame also has a more of a 1911 angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, MDLOTT said:

These appear more expensive than a Glock brand pistol. Other than no serial number, why build one?

The only reason I'd buy one is for the better ergonomics. No finger grooves, and better grip angle with no "hump". But I don't like the looks of the trigger guard and wish that it looked more like a Glock factory trigger guard. Whatever undercutting was needed I would do myself.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MDLOTT said:

Only slightly more when you buy components on sale. My state has a registry disguised as a license for handgun purchases which ads more to the cost and I refuse to submit to the tyranny. This means that I cannot purchase handguns in my state. No law however, restricts my right to build anything I want that is otherwise not banned, or interstate C&R purchases.

• Like 2

The glock builds look fun, but for a little more money It seems a 1911 would be more satisfying/fun/intricate to build...

as for the reliability of the 80%'s  you would be the creator so you must ask yourself that question...lol

Put all sh** china parts in it and chew up the framework with an old dremel bit and it just might fail on you

Put in all reliable parts along with lots of time and careful effort, you may have a 100% winner...

I guess that is the fun of it too.. the gat is only as strong as the arm that builds

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The first Polymer80 G17 that I did was a version 1.5 with finger grooves and horizontal protrusions on the rear of the grip and a giant magwell flair. After shooting it, I needed to something with the grip.

I removed the finger grooves and crap on the rear of the grip, cut the magwell and narrowed the sides under the beavertail until it felt right in my hand. I also undercut the trigger guard. Last week, I did a silicon carbide treatment to the grip and am very pleased with the results. For the grip, after taping the area around the surfaces to be covered, rough up the surface with some sandpaper so the epoxy will bond well. Mix and apply a thin coat of 30 minute epoxy, then sprinkle with silicon carbide powder. After about 15 minutes, remove the tape and if necessary clean up any rough edges before the epoxy sets up. Let cure for 24 hours before handling covered areas. Gently brush away the excess powder and you have the feel of grip tape, that will not peel off and is pretty much maintenance free. Lots of good videos available on YouTube.

Before and after pictures are below.

Recently, I did a version 2.0 and have found that it's grip is nearly identical in feel to my version 1.5 after the modifications. They are both excellent shooters, 100% reliable, and very comfortable to shoot for my old hands.

I too, would like to do a 1911 and may do one after I finish a G26 and a few other projects still not completed.

2017-06-12_12_24_01.jpg

2018-11-17_08_58_52.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I admire the gun builders.  Not something I could probably do without malfunctions or injury.  I was used to be building structures.  I still know how, I just don't have the fortitude I used to.  I used to love to build, and with each build I got better.  Now, that ability is gone. It exists in my head just fine, putting it together myself, not so much.

Those who can put together an AR or a Glock from essentially nothing, I will always be in awe of you guys.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 11:20 AM, DieselMcBadass said:

Was wondering, theres lots online about the kits and building them but havent seen any long term tests, classes, torture testing, etc, on an assembled one. Was wondering if anyone here had some experience putting rounds through one?

Amongst many of my P80 builds, I have a Polymer80 PF940V2 with Glock oem lower parts kit and slide parts kit. Swenson slide and threaded barrel. I’ve been torture testing this particular gun and I’ve put 2650 rounds through it without failure. I’ve also let range buddies shoot it a lot, but don’t know the exact round count. I’d bet at least another 500 rounds minimum.  They have all reported 0 failures as well. Range conditions have varied from indoor, to 95 degrees and humid outdoor, to 10 degrees outdoor. Ammo has ranged from hi quality 115, 124 and 147 grain brass in fmj and jhp to unnamed 9mm left on range benches and stell and aluminum garbage. All went bang every time. The only maintenance it’s received is it’s initial oiling, I haven’t done a thing to it since, not even a bore snake. I’ll update as I beat it more.