Anyone else cringe when someone says they have an "upgraded" Glock for sale?

Boogieman

Or trying to explain that their $150 frame stippling didn't increase the value?  I just took a look at a Gen 2 G19 that had over $900 worth of stippling, slide milling, trigger and sights.  The fellow was rather upset when I told him that his gun is worth nowhere near what he had into it.  Probably only slightly more than if it were stock.  Turns out I'm an a$$hole.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It depends on the modifications, part/component quality and reliability. This is one of my project guns and I don't expect to sell for "what I got into it." The people who have expressed interest in buying it realize its purpose and value it accordingly. Folks wanting a stock gun can look elsewhere.

31525514472_95c36dcde6_b.jpg

• Like 3

Unless the stippling is done by Dave Bowie I've never seen it increase the resale value.  Quite the opposite.  There are a few places in the area that do really cool laser stippling in every pattern imaginable and even that hurts the resale value.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Not my cup o' tea.  But these guys have really low prices on slide machining and cerakoting.  They start at $99.

https://www.ziarmory.com/

They charged me $49 to Cerakote a slide and did an excellent job.

Great price to Cerakote the slide and I feel the same as you about Bowie's stopping - none better.  

I tend to worry about all the aftermarket junk some people want to immediately put in a new Glock. Then they turn around and dump the gun because of problems and can't understand what is causing them.  I leave everything stock and have never had a problem.  I did buy one a G22 once in almost new condition with a nice set of night sights. The gun was suffering from "aftermarket illness" and I got it very cheep at the range because of "owner frustration". Took it home and installed stock parts and guess what...…...it ran like a champ.  I love Glocks. :anim_rofl2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Anyone else cringe when someone says they have an "upgraded" Glock for sale?"

Nope. Because Ii I were looking for a Glock for sale the last thing I'd want is one that somebody "Customized".  As far as I'm concerned, Glocks are not actually ugly but people often go the great lengths to make them that way. And the only "extras" that I'd be interested in would be some of the discontinued Lone Wolf aftermarket barrels that they don't make anymore. A Glock 33 with a 4 inch extended length barrel or a Glock 35 with a 357 sig barrel are examples of the sort of "Upgrades" I'd be interested in.

• Like 2

The term "upgraded" or "custom" is pretty much a total turn off for me. If "stippling" comes into the equation or description, I'd probably ask how much they'd pay me to take it. Unmolested Glocks are ubiquitous. Why would I pay more for any upgrades beyond night sights? Even with those, I like what I like. I'll probably end up paying for the change anyway.

I don't buy Glocks as an investment, or to "flip". I buy them as known tool. OEM accomplishes that goal.

• Like 2

It boils down to what you want out of the gun. My daily carry is setup exactly like the ones I laughed at guys wasting money on 5 years ago. I have about 2K into a $400.00 gun. I understand that the resale is a grand or less but I have no intention of selling it, as it is my daily carry now.

I was in a class about 5 years ago, it was outdoors and 4 degrees at the start of the 8 hour class. Lets say by hour 3 my hands were beyond numb, at this point the instructor decides it is time to do a drill he calls "malfunction mayhem", basically he or the AI would make sure your gun malfunctioned and you had to figured out why and get back into the fight (on the clock). Let me be the first to say that Tap, Rack, Unload, Reload, Rack is near impossible when you can not feel your fingers. A good friend of mine was next to me laughing at my inability to use the same exact model of gun he had, so we traded. his had the expensive, stippling, slide serrations etc and I found out exactly what all that silly looking stuff was for. It is cold half the year here so I found out why the money needs to be spent.

If you never need a gun when it is cold, raining, muddy, hot etc than a stock gun will suit you just fine. If you use one in any of the conditions I described, you might be shocked how useful those "upgrades" actually are. Oh and a RMR makes a damn good charging handle to.

• Like 1

I don't really place any value on added on crap, and would pass on most unless I could get it super cheap.

That bolt on crap that people heap on the Glock, is not confined to the Glock. I don't care if your 1911 has been filled with Wilson parts, it's still a used gun that has been molested. I would actually value it less that an unmolested version. It's not that I find your gun unappealing, it's that I find all added parts to be suspect. I don't know who made the parts. I don't know who installed them. I don't know of they are installed correctly.

Edited by Jason D
  • Like 4

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:24 PM, Boogieman said:

Or trying to explain that their $150 frame stippling didn't increase the value?  I just took a look at a Gen 2 G19 that had over $900 worth of stippling, slide milling, trigger and sights.  The fellow was rather upset when I told him that his gun is worth nowhere near what he had into it.  Probably only slightly more than if it were stock.  Turns out I'm an a$$hole.

I cringe whenever I hear of "upgraded" anything for sales.

• Like 3

Glock's utilitarian design is economically produced with reliability as its primary attribute. It's curious, since its introduction the numbers of aftermarket suppliers of parts and components have increased tremendously. It would seem many people desire to alter or improve their guns. I would agree a few people muck up their pistols, but far more get the improvements they seek. The other good thing about a Glock is the ease which one can bring it back to stock, excluding frame mods- but occasionally even stock frames are sold if you're willing to pay for a serialized item.

Like said above, used or modified guns rarely command premium prices and buyers must be experienced and/or cautious when attempting to save a few bucks buying pre-owned. Obviously, a stock gun is easiest to evaluate especially for those with little exposure with non-stock configurations. 

I'm curious why some of you folks don't just walk away, like you would from any other item of little interest. Why the emotional "cringing?" Do you also fret when passing car dealerships with overpriced used vehicles you're not interested in buying? I don't spend a half a second on pondering things I won't buy or can't afford, well except the wanton infatuation with the 7.5FK BRNO Field Pistol. 

8 minutes ago, willieH said:

I'm curious why some of you folks don't just walk away, like you would from any other item of little interest. Why the emotional "cringing?" Do you also fret when passing car dealerships with overpriced used vehicles you're not interested in buying? I don't spend a half a second on pondering things I won't buy or can't afford, well except the wanton infatuation with the 7.5FK BRNO Field Pistol. 

We do walk away.  That's the point.

No, I just won't pay extra for it.   As many will note, there is nothing special about Glocks.    If you came across a butchered one for the right price you could literally rebuild the damn thing from a box of parts and still be into it cheaper than buying a new one.  

I used to be one of those anti stipple guys ( I don't own any) but I can give a certain respect for one that's done well these days.   Glock frames can be had for cheap.