Any wine drinkers here????

Scwine

After being in the beer biz, I have since found wine.  I still like beer(mostly Imperial Stouts), but prefer the vino now.  Mostly Chardonnays and Cabernet Sauvignons, but will add other grapes into the mix.  What do you like?

Edited by Scwine
  • Like 1

Quit Whiskey and Beer - Stouts, Imperial or Not - couple years back. Kept drinking wine. It wasn't a switch as I drank wine before, always my favorite. As a general rule, I buy California. They have your basics ones at your supermarket/liquor store, and they also have good wines all the way up compared in quality to best Bordeaux or Rhone Reds. Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz/Syrah, Tempranillo, Bourdeaux Blend and Rhone Blend types are my faves.

Try the Australian Shiraz, affordable and very good. Also, Spain Tempranillos, probably one of the best values in wines.

French = Awesome. They're, historically, the masters of winemaking, but as everything from France, overpriced. Not crazy about Italians, except the ones from the North (Barolo, Barbaresco, etc).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

Quit Whiskey and Beer - Stouts, Imperial or Not - couple years back. Kept drinking wine. It wasn't a switch as I drank wine before, always my favorite. As a general rule, I buy California. They have your basics ones at your supermarket/liquor store, and they also have good wines all the way up compared in quality to best Bordeaux or Rhone Reds. Caber

net Sauvignon, Shiraz/Syrah, Tempranillo, Bourdeaux Blend and Rhone Blend types are my faves.

Try the Australian Shiraz, affordable and very good. Also, Spain Tempranillos, probably one of the best values in wines.

French = Awesome. They're, historically, the masters of winemaking, but as everything from France, overpriced. Not crazy about Italians, except the ones from the North (Barolo, Barbaresco, etc).

I know nothing about the Euro wines.  I like Cali Cabernet's, Oregon Pinot's, Washington Chardonnays and Merlots.  Argentinian Malbecs as well.  I really need to find out about French and other Euros.  

Not drinking anymore, but I love and miss wines from Bordeaux (France) and Rioja (Spain). Was on wine tasting and buying trips in both countries, that alone was an experience I will never forget. Those wines are so rich, full-bodied and smooth, makes everything CA has to offer taste like Buds in the beer world.

Basically all years of Chateau la Lagune and Marques de Caceres Crianza had been excellent.

8818774802462.png

marques-de-caceres-crianza-rioja-doca-sp

• Like 2

I'm cheap, and try to stick to a roughly $4/bottle price point that still gives me a decent sipping experience. Currently, my favorite is the Barefoot Pinot Noir (their Cabernet isn't bad either). I get the 1.5L bottles at Wegman's for $8.49. I also get the Don Simon Cabernet at Whole Foods for $3.99/bottle (I can knock 10% off if I get a case of 12). And there's really nothing wrong with the 3-Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw Cabernet) at Trader Joe's for $3.29/bottle.

All those are local Virginia prices. YMMV elsewhere. ?

8 minutes ago, crockett said:

Not drinking anymore, but I love and miss wines from Bordeaux (France) and Rioja (Spain). Was on wine tasting and buying trips in both countries, that alone was an experience I will never forget. Those wines are so rich, full-bodied and smooth, makes everything CA has to offer taste like Buds in the beer world.

Basically all years of Chateau la Lagune and Marques de Caceres Crianza had been excellent.

8818774802462.png

Funny, but that was the first wine I purchased in larger quantities en primeur.  Holds up well, and ages nicely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

Love Bordeaux and Rioja, but did you actually try everything CA has to offer?

https://www.wine.com/list/wine/napa-valley/7155-106882?ratingmin=100

Obviously not everything, but those that I tried all missed complexity in comparison, or had been way too fruity-sweet for my liking. Granted, I "grew up" with wine from France, Spain and Germany. Most everything else tastes indeed outlandish.

Just now, Glocks4Freedom said:

I encourage you to try them. 

Better not. I'm dry now for almost 5 years. Last thing my gallbladder needs is another attack. I'm so glad I got that under control with lifestyle changes and diet. No meds, no surgery.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Scwine said:

I do like ports...Especially the Graham's 6 Grape.

We enjoy the Porto.  Every time I've been to Portugal, I load up on some of the nicer vintages.  But, I don't care for the really old stuff.  I had a glass of '47 recently.  I didn't care for it.

But, in general, I like wine/exploring wine country.  My favorite is (was) Franschhoek, South Africa.

I'm having a Cotes du Rhone as I type. ?

• Like 1