Anne Frank's Family Tried to Emigrate to U.S.

fortyofforty

I had not read this.  Who is publishing it?  I'm getting too old to believe that anything is a coincidence anymore however, and as a matter of record, just about European Jew in Hitler's path wanted to get to the U.S.  -And there was great concern by many (here) about how that was going to work.  Some traveled great distances only to be turned away by the U.S.  -These are historical facts.  So, I don't necessarily discount the story but it is curious that for all we know about this young lady's life, we are only hearing about this now.

Maybe.  But it was pretty late in the war before America became aware of exactly what Hitler was doing with the Jews.  People forget that.

I think the first evidence was found by Patton when they found a concentration camp.  Though there may have been intelligence before that.

Wouldn’t be surprised in the least if this was fabricated by the media. This will gradually drop to the bottom of the stack after another victimized group emerges (blacks, #metoo movement, illegal immigrants, etc). 

I have a more relevant question. What is the point of this being brought up now? He tried to emigrate his family to the US the legal way and WWII broke out before it the process could be completed. I'm sure all of the millions that died in the Holocaust wanted to emigrate as well. Is this some skewed dig someone is trying to take at our current immigration laws by bringing up the tragedy of millions of deaths at the hands of the Nazis?

3 hours ago, JArthurD said:

I had not read this.  Who is publishing it?  I'm getting too old to believe that anything is a coincidence anymore however, and as a matter of record, just about European Jew in Hitler's path wanted to get to the U.S.  -And there was great concern by many (here) about how that was going to work.  Some traveled great distances only to be turned away by the U.S.  -These are historical facts.  So, I don't necessarily discount the story but it is curious that for all we know about this young lady's life, we are only hearing about this now.

It's apparently in Time magazine.  They're fair and unbiased, right?  I don't doubt the validity (don't have enough information) but I do wonder about the timing of this "discovery".

The only reason the concentration camps worked is because even the victims didn’t know what was happening until the very last moment before death.

Six million people wouldn’t have walked quietly to their certain death. They had been displaced and moved many times. Their intent was to just survive the war, and moving to one more place further away from Germany was nothing new. 

The US new they were being persecuted. There is no question about that. No one suspected there were death camps capable of killing and disposing of thousands upon thousands of people. Especially non-combatant men, women and children. 

And even if they had known, what could they do?  We were in a state of total war. Nothing could be done that took away resources from the war effort. In Uncle Sams mind the sooner the war was over the less casualties we would incur. Remember, this war was planned by the Great War generation. 

It's called revisionist history.  It's fostered by the left to make America look bad, paint America in the worst light, and make people ashamed of America and its role in the world.  The said part is that those who subscribe to this belief system feel that they, and only those like them, know the "truth" and others are blind to the facts.

I will not and will never be shamed into accepting ALL the world's problems, ALL the world's guilt, ALL the world's refugees without any limit at any time for any reason.  If someone wants to come here, let's make sure it's for a good reason and does not weaken or tear down the very system that attracts them in the first place.

• Like 1