Omaha Police make arrests in special enforcement operation of motorcyclists

TBO

Police said pack of 200 motorcyclists caused problems on Omaha streets. Seven are arrested.

OMAHA, Neb. —

Two suspects appeared in a Douglas County courtroom Monday to hear the charges against them.

Travis Anderson, 24, of Omaha, and Ricky Titus, 37, of Davenport, spent the weekend in jail after being arrested Saturday afternoon. They pleaded not guilty.

The other suspects bonded out of jail and are expected in court Tuesday morning.

Kyle Nelson Rivard, 28, of Henderson, Colorado, was charged with having no valid registration, willful reckless driving and avoiding arrest.

Corey Lawrence, 21, of St. Joseph, Missouri, was charged with reckless driving and avoiding arrest.

Marcus Sturm, 28, of Littleton, Colorado, was charged with felony avoiding arrest, willful reckless driving and marijuana possession.

Anthony Mahr, 29, of Omaha, was charged willful reckless driving, second-offense, felony avoiding arrest, driving with a suspended license, obstructing law enforcement and having no valid registration.

Michael McQuinn, 31, of Council Bluffs, Iowa, was charged willful reckless driving and felony avoiding arrest.

Police cited Moriah Ruff, 25, of Littleton, Colorado, was charged with careless driving and avoiding arrest.

Calls to 911 started coming in Saturday afternoon when the pack of riders drove on Dodge Street.

Police released this statement:

"The Omaha Police Department's Uniform Patrol Bureau has been conducting enforcement operations with the specific intent of holding reckless motorcycle riders accountable to state traffic laws as a result of countless 911 calls reporting such behavior. The officers working these assignments, and during their regular duties, are citing and arresting motorcycle riders who choose to engage in reckless driving behavior.

"Saturday's events were the result of a pre-planned rally involving smaller bikes known as Groms, dirt bikes that are not street legal, sport bikes and cruisers. The event's stated intent was stunt riding through Omaha and taking over the city. ABLE-1 happened to be in the air for an unrelated event and spotted the group, estimated to be over 200, traveling westbound on Dodge from midtown. The ABLE-1 pilots observed rampant reckless behavior including wheelies, driving on sidewalks, splitting occupied lanes, more than two bikes occupying a lane and driving across the center line. The group continued down Dodge St. and failed to stop for several marked OPD cruisers with lights and siren on. ABLE-1 initiated an aerial pursuit of the lead group. The group turned north on 90th and ran multiple red lights, stopping traffic in three directions. Many of the group tried to make a mass U-turn at 90th and Military Ave. Dozens fled across curbs, sidewalks, grass and business lots. Several riders lost control of their bikes and were detained. One rider fled through a neighborhood, abandoned his bike and tried to hide in a wooded area. A perimeter was set and he was taken into custody. Another rider attempted to hide a stolen motorcycle in a tree and was later spotted by an NSP Sergeant in the area. He was identified and arrested. Follow-up was conducted and multiple riders were arrested at a hotel later that night. Evidence was recovered and multiple bikes were impounded. Several of the arrested parties were residents of other states.

"We want it to be clear that we will not tolerate these activities and that we are dedicated to keeping our roadways safe. The operation's main goal is to preserve life and we hope to minimize or eliminate traffic fatalities involving motorcycles in Omaha. We are not against motorcycle riders in general - many officers are also motorcycle enthusiasts. It is an activity enjoyed by many and most do it responsibly. We still encourage drivers to watch out for motorcycle riders as we want everyone in the motoring public to be safe."

link

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thumbs up to the Omaha police. 

It's good to see a law enforcement agency come down on these clowns. Some of these bikers are no better than a pack of wild rabid dogs that don't think twice about putting themselves and others at risk.  Plus, there are far too many a holes on bikes that give the rest of us riders a bad name.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Jack Ryan said:

Seems the best catch would have been any of them with go pros. Then you can track down a lot more with the video and u tube.

I would not doubt that is happening. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Reminds me when I was pulling an asslong wheelie over a couple blocks on my supermoto minding my own business, right in-front of an unmarked unit with 4 (!) LEOs on their way to court or something, several years ago. With the difference being that I had plates on my bike, valid registration, insurance and driver license, and didn't run when they pulled me over.

The driver of the Interceptor did the talking, the other officers gave me the eval eye. He must have been 10 to 15 years young than me. He let me get away with a warning and a "Aren't you a bid too old for this ****?!".

Sold my sumo soon after. You can't ride them "normal". It was a race MX bike with lights and plate. It power wheelied in the first 3 gears just by looking at the throttle. Weighted only 200 pounds.

:couch:

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1