Random Posting

Eric

5 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

My brother lives in North Port Fl, not far from where Ian hit land. He said a friend of his sent him this from Port Charlotte which is the next city over. It's a McLaren, I guess they're cheap enough to replace easily.

P11664459527.jpg

I was somewhat taken aback by the pictures of a fire station and all of the very expensive fire trucks sitting in four feet of water.

Surely someone would have suggested, Why don't we drive the $350,000.00 pumper and ladder trucks to -- oh, I don't know.  Higher ground maybe?

• Like 4

Folks, please note an important difference when a natural disaster occurs in Florida as opposed to New York.

Florida people look around after and say, It's time to get rebuilding -- God willing and the creek don't rise, we'll make it better and take care of our neighbors.

New York people sit on their asses and moan, Where is my federal money!  I can't get on with my life without a billion in federal dollars!

Schumer, get us that money!

:upeyes:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, tous said:

Folks, please note an important difference when a natural disaster occurs in Florida as opposed to New York.

Florida people look around after and say, It's time to get rebuilding -- God willing and the creek don't rise, we'll make it better and take care of our neighbors.

New York people sit on their asses and moan, Where is my federal money!  I can't get on with my life without a billion in federal dollars!

Schumer, get us that money!

:upeyes:

Absolutely true.  If there is anyone expert in milking the taxpayer teat for all it's worth, it's Schumer.

However you're speaking of NYC not NYS.  NYS is much larger geographically than NYC, and by far more conservative.  Unfortunately our overlords in NYC outnumber us by a wide margin, and they rule with a taxpayer funded iron fist.

There's been an effort (for years now) to divide into two separate states.  Everything south of and including Westchester County can remain as New York.  Everything north becoming New Amsterdam.  Sadly I think this idea is and will remain a pipe dream.

• Like 5

Stupidity should hurt ... I drove a motorcycle from the age of 13 until the age of 60 and I NEVER did some of the stupid things I see videos of on the internet. When you drive a motorcycle around other vehicles, you drive like you are a target. When you're out away from other traffic you can relax a little but you never let your mind wander too far from the task at hand. I've been out away from everything before there were cell phones. You can mangle yourself in places where your body won't be found for a long time. Respect for the machine is job one. Not saying I didn't have a lot of fun on a bike but never forgot situational awareness.

1783915810_Fail-MotorcycleStupidity.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On Sept. 30, 1956, a pilot landed a plane on an Manhattan street in front of the bar he had been drinking at.

The pilot, Thomas Fitzpatrick, turned a barroom bet into a feat of aeronautic wonder by stealing a plane from a New Jersey airport and landing it on St. Nicholas Avenue in northern Manhattan, in front of the bar where he had been drinking.
As if that were not stupefying enough, the man did nearly the exact same thing two years later. Both landings were pulled off in incredibly narrow landing areas, in the dark, and after a night of drinking in Washington Heights taverns and with a well-lubricated pilot at the controls. Both times ended with Mr. Fitzpatrick charged with wrongdoing.
The first of his flights was around 3 a.m. on Sept. 30, 1956, when Mr. Fitzpatrick, then 26, took a single-engine plane from the Teterboro School of Aeronautics in New Jersey and took off without lights or radio contact and landed on St. Nicholas Avenue near 191st Street.
The New York Times called it a “fine landing” and reported that it had been widely called “a feat of aeronautics.”
The second flight was on Oct. 4, 1958, just before 1 a.m.
Again he took a plane from Teterboro and this time landed on Amsterdam and 187th Street in front of a Yeshiva University building after having “come down like a marauder from the skies,” in the words of Ruben Levy, the magistrate at Mr. Fitzpatrick’s ensuing arraignment. Newspapers reported that Mr. Fitzpatrick jumped out of the landed plane wearing a gray suit and fled, but later turned himself in.
Mr. Fitzpatrick told the police that he had pulled off the second flight after a bar patron refused to believe he had done the first one.
That first flight, Mr. Fitzpatrick admitted, was the result of a barroom bet, according to articles in The New York Times. (He died in 2009 at age 79.)
“The story goes, he had made a bet with someone in the bar that he could be back in the Heights from New Jersey in 15 minutes,” said Jim Clarke, 68, who had lived near the first landing spot and recalls seeing the plane in the street.
“Supposedly, he planned on landing on the field at George Washington High School but it wasn’t lit up at night, so he had to land on St. Nicholas instead,” said Mr. Clarke, who now lives in Chatham, N.J.
After the first flight, Mr. Fitzpatrick was arraigned on grand larceny charges, which were dropped after the plane’s owner declined to sign a complaint. He was also charged with violating the city’s administrative code, which prohibits landing a plane on the street. Mr. Fitzpatrick was only fined $100.
But after the second landing, a judge, John A. Mullen, sentenced him to six months in jail for bringing a stolen item into the city. The judge told him, “Had you been properly jolted then, it’s possible this would not have occurred a second time.”

Thomas Fitzpatrick .png

• Like 3