Hog hunting this weekend. Which gun to bring?

Boogieman

2 hours ago, willie-pete said:

Some guys down here do it with a big ass knife.

In answer to your question; the one you shoot best.

Glad to help.

When I lived in New Orleans where hunting with a firearm was illegal hunters used pitt bulls and bowie knives.  Even had little leather jackets for the dogs.

And for your information I shoot ALL guns the best.  :D

I don't know if ya'll know about this?  I realize that feral hog cause hundreds of millions of dollars in damage every year.  But killing waaaaaaaay more than we could use or give away never set right with me.  On a weekend my friends and I would harvest 20-40 but could only use/give away maybe 10.  The local farmers love us.  Churches in the area would even assist distribution to families in need but there was still a lot of waste.  The rest wound up buried via a backhoe.  But then we discovered...

https://wildboarmeats.com/

Now we can recoup some of our expenses and nothing goes to waste.  

• Like 2

On 6/27/2018 at 8:34 PM, Boogieman said:

I don't know if ya'll know about this?  I realize that feral hog cause hundreds of millions of dollars in damage every year.  But killing waaaaaaaay more than we could use or give away never set right with me.  On a weekend my friends and I would harvest 20-40 but could only use/give away maybe 10.  The local farmers love us.  Churches in the area would even assist distribution to families in need but there was still a lot of waste.  The rest wound up buried via a backhoe.  But then we discovered...

https://wildboarmeats.com/

Now we can recoup some of our expenses and nothing goes to waste.  

I too don’t like to see wasted game however,,,,,,,,    When it comes to feral hogs, they are like roaches.   They can cause mass property destruction and will even compete with the indigenous animals such as deer etc...    Therefore, I say kill them all in that case because they are destructive pests.   For areas of the country where the pig population is not (yet) out of control, then I think having  proper bag limits is appropriate.  

For your gun choice, I’d go with the G20,   The Delta Elite can’t take loadings such as DoubleTaps 200-220 gr lead hard cast nor Buffalo Bore without beating the crap out of them.   However with a fully supported chamber, the G20 has no issues with those full power hunting loads.   My G20 is my hunter, while my two Delta Elites are just hiking, backpacking guns in the off season and they’re  loaded up with less pressured rounds (usually 175gr  Silvertips).

1 minute ago, Glockinator said:

I too don’t like to see wasted game however,,,,,,,,    When it comes to feral hogs, they are like roaches.   They can cause mass property destruction and will even compete with the indigenous animals such as deer etc...    Therefore, I say kill them all in that case because they are destructive pests.   For areas of the country where the pig population is not (yet) out of control, then I think having  proper bag limits is appropriate.  

For your gun choice, I’d go with the G20,   The Delta Elite can’t take loadings such as DoubleTaps 200-220 gr lead hard cast nor Buffalo Bore without beating the crap out of them.   However with a fully supported chamber, the G20 has no issues with those full power hunting loads.   My G20 is my hunter, while my two Delta Elites are just hiking, backpacking guns in the off season and they’re  loaded up with less pressured rounds (usually 175gr  Silvertips).

My oldest Delta Elite outlasted my first Glock 20 with my thermonuclear hand loads.  The G20 is unfireable but the Delta is still going strong.  A ramped barrel doesn't mean a supported chamber.  Glocks don't have a fully supported chamber.  Quite the opposite.  They have far less chamber support than many others.  Pull the barrels and drop in a live round.  You will be surprised by not only how little chamber support Glocks have but the looseness of the chamber dimensions.  

And with the advent of the hog processing plant none need go to waste.  Last night we shot 2 hog.  At first light we got 8 more.  Two were eating size.  The rest are going to the processing plant.  Later today and just before dark we'll try again.  So far none have been close enough for a handgun shot (I did bring a G20) so I used my ancient M77

wHCV04G - Imgur.jpg

• Like 2

Saufeder.thumb.jpg.65a3d451fc0ccf562b767fd0e2e14076.jpg

That is just the tip of a "Saufeder", a blade that is affixed to an 8 foot pole. This was used for centuries to hunt wild boar in Europe and as a weapon of war, as well. It is very comforting to carry it when stalking wild boar in fields.

Edited by Andyd

9 minutes ago, Andyd said:

Saufeder.thumb.jpg.65a3d451fc0ccf562b767fd0e2e14076.jpg

That is just the tip of a "Saufeder", a blade that is affixed to an 8 foot pole. This was used for centuries to hunt wild boar in Europe and as a weapon of war, as well. It is very comforting to carry it when stalking wild boar in fields.

Now that's hardcore.

I actually carried one of those when we went into fields to hunt real wild boars in Germany, especially when we went into field after sows. I felt better than my friends with the rifles  when you could not see farther than 15 feet and heard a lot of rustling. When sows have little ones, they will not run. 

Edited by Andyd

1 hour ago, Andyd said:

I actually carried one of those when we went into fields to hunt real wild boars in Germany, especially when we went into field after sows. I felt better than my friends with the rifles  when you could not see farther than 15 feet and heard a lot of rustling. When sows have little ones, they will not run. 

That's what got me interested in handgun hunting.  When I lived in Louisiana the average line of sight was 10'-15'.  A handgun was so much faster than a long gun.

Boogieman.....

Dang it, I’m getting used to this website and I can’t figure out how to properly edit quotes yet.... anyway here’s my reply to your previous comments about Glock barrels and how your Delta Elite outlasted your Glock (which I’m sorry to hear about by the way, since both guns are excellent.   I too prefer the Delta’s fit, form and finish over any Glock.   But that’s for another topic)...

I never suggested using a Glock OEM barrel with those hot loadings.   Did you learn that the hard way?   That sucks if you did.      I use aftermarket barrel(s)  for hunting with the G20 and yes, they’re  fully supported chambers.   My G20’s  have always gotten an “upgrade” pretty much right out of the box by swapping barrels out.   I’ve never liked the G20’s OEM barrels for hunting use.   May I ask, did you break your Glock by firing hot rounds with the factory OEM barrel???  I’m assume you did from what I read by your comments when replying to my comments previously.   The Glock 10mm no doubt with an aftermarket supported chamber/barrel will outlast a stock Delta Elite when shooting stuff like the 220gr lead hardcast rounds.   

There’s No way you’ll get any good mileage out of a Delta Elite with those heavy loadings from DT, Buffalo Bore or Underwood.  Even Underwood’s website specifically states “NOT to be used in Colt Delta Elites” for some of their heavy hunting rounds.   However the Glocks can consume those rounds nicely. 

Edited by Glockinator

8 minutes ago, Glockinator said:

Boogieman.....

Dang it, I’m getting used to this website and I can’t figure out how to properly edit quotes yet.... anyway here’s my reply to your previous comments about Glock barrels and how your Delta Elite outlasted your Glock (which I’m sorry to hear about, by the way, since both guns are excellent, and I too prefer the Delta’s fit, form and finish over any Glock.   But that’s for another topic)...

I never suggested using a Glock OEM barrel with those hot loadings.   Did you learn that the hard way?   That sucks if you did.      I use aftermarket barrel(s)  for hunting with the G20 and yes, ithehre fully supported chambers.    Did you break your Glock by firing hot rounds with the factory OEM barrel???  I’m assume you did from what I read by your statement.   The Glock 10mm with an aftermarket supported chamber/barrel will outlast a stock Delta Elite when shooting stuff like the 220gr lead hardcast rounds.   

There’s No way you’ll get any good mileage out of a Delta Elite with those heavy loadings from DT, Buffalo Bore or Underwood.  Even Underwood’s website specifically states “NOT to be used in Colt Delta Elites” for some of their heavy hunting rounds.   However the Glocks can consume those rounds nicely. 

My first Gen 2 G20 lasted about 20k rounds.  Mostly thermonuclear hand loads.  There was so much wear on the slide and rails that when the trigger is pulled the slide moves up and left.  It's hard to hit the target when the sights are moving about.  And this did nothing for the trigger pull.  I peened the slide rails like a 1911 but a couple of thousand rounds later it was just as loose.  She's retired now.  My first Delta Elite (the one pictured a Gary Erminger Custom) has a Bar-Sto barrel.  In fact she had the first Bar-Sto Barrel in 10mm.  Well over 30K thermonuclear rounds and still going.  The barrel was recently replaced as well as a few extractors and a refinish or two.  I've found that with a stock power hammer spring, EGW square firing pin stop and Kings (or now Colt) dual spring recoil plug a 1911 stays locked up longer and takes less of a battering than a Glock.  With some of my hotter loads my Glocks show primer drag while the Deltas stay locked up tight.  My second Delta (Rusty Kidd Custom), also with a Bar-Sto barrel, has around 10K rounds with just extractor replacements.  My Kimber Eclipse in 10mm is a POS.

I shot pin matches for a long time.  My handloads make the offerings from Underwood look like range plinkers.

• Like 1

We have feral hogs in this part of Arizona, a couple of 400#ers were taken in our neighborhood...but we didn't get any holiday ham. They are back on my property and it's only going to get worse once the monsoon season (wet summer) begins. In 10mm, 200gr WFNs are loaded to 1220fps through a G20sf with Lonewolf barrel, there's also a 6" KKM barrel that can be used if needed. The WFNs are great for shooting straight through mesquite...not all lead bullets stay straight.

Glocks are okay, but I prefer 1911s; with a square firing pin stop, the main/recoil springs can be tuned for whatever load you want to shoot. My first G20 (bought in '06 IIRC) had serious reliability issues out of the box, once fixed, I noticed the slide/frame were beginning to loosen up at around 1500 rounds. I don't load max anymore because 1300fps is going to kill a hog any faster than 1200fps. I prefer the 1911 because of finger wrap around the grips (Operator 2 comes to mind), recoil control, trigger reset and fast split times...it's also very accurate at distance and it's a pointer.

I have a Rock and a Fusion Commander size that see range time, and the G20sf gets safe time. Also, Double Tap's 155gr all copper hollow points will expand while penetrating bone.

Between yesterday and this morning we've rid the world of 19 hog.  Maybe a few more before I have to leave.  6 are cooking size.  The rest to the dog food plant.  The ranges have been too far for my G20.  Next time I'll bring my scoped Super Redhawk.

• 2 weeks later...