Sad Htrae Night!

gwalchmai

6 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

What if you'd bought a thousand bitcoins when they first came out and sold 'em a year later for twice what you paid?

That's why I'll never be rich.  I am comfortable. however.  I cannot speculate.  I buy stock in my company, the company my son worked for, and a company I worked for in my first job.  I know those companies.

I suppose I could do my due diligence on stocks and try my hand, however I would not be happy. Many people I know have gone the stocks route and many have come out even at best.

I have no rational reasons for being this way, but.  I cannot gamble, I simply cannot.  I tried in penny ante stuff and it was a regrettable experience.  I took my wife to Vegas and she likes to gamble, I watched her and encouraged her, since she enjoyed it.  She lost, but not more than she expected to.

I'm happy she had fun. I could not!

I get most everything I have by working for it, I believe in the work ethic and gave my employer 100% of my efforts.  The company kept me for 44 years as a result.  I told my wife that she could buy lottery tickets if she wanted to, but she can't go that far.  I simply can't either.

I do have the pleasure of knowing that we are OK for the rest of our lives but not rich.  As long as I have her, I'm happy.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, janice6 said:

Many people I know have gone the stocks route and many have come out even at best.

John Train wrote a book in the 1970s “Dance of the Money Bees” about stock market investing. Naturally it had some stocks of interest, recommendations which would have been dated before the book reached stores. However, the philosophy of investing was worthwhile.

For example: Select ten companies which appear sound, buy $1,000 worth of stock in each, have dividends reinvested, then put those away and “forget” about them. Don’t follow them in the market, don’t try trading them, just let them set. In due course you probably have one or two home runs, one or two bankruptcies, and the rest are OK. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

John Train wrote a book in the 1970s “Dance of the Money Bees” about stock market investing. Naturally it had some stocks of interest, recommendations which would have been dated before the book reached stores. However, the philosophy of investing was worthwhile.

For example: Select ten companies which appear sound, buy $1,000 worth of stock in each, have dividends reinvested, then put those away and “forget” about them. Don’t follow them in the market, don’t try trading them, just let them set. In due course you probably have one or two home runs, one or two bankruptcies, and the rest are OK. 

Oddly enough, that is my philosophy in my stock portfolio also.  It has worked well for me.  I don't try to second guess the people that spend their entire lives in the stock market and have large amounts of money to back them up.

• Like 2