Remington Wingmaster?

DrB

Do they even still make one? And a good one??  If not when was the last date?  Had a nice trap model with excellent wood and a few others..  Unfortunately when we were taking them across the river to shoot the thin ice broke and they sank. Another case when I should have saved the guns rather than the girlfriend...  Is always my luck when moving guns...  Just curious...  Thanks..

Dave..

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-wingmaster

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-wingmaster-classic-trap

According to their website, they do in fact still catalog the Wingmaster. The question you should be asking yourself, is if you can trust Remington today enough to take a chance on buying a new one. 

The Wingmasters I own are about 30 years old. The 870 express that was made about 6 years ago under Cerberus is a piece of ****, but the 870 Police that I bought last year still seems to be a quality built gun. With Remington's rep in the toilet these days, you are really taking a crapshoot. 

It would be cheaper to find an old one when they still cared about quality control. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2018 at 7:47 AM, Spats McGee said:

As noted, Remington still makes Wingmasters.  Personally, I'd grab a used one.  I haven't had a problem with my newer ones, but I don't usually put them to really hard use, either.

Was just wondering.  I have several old ones and a nice Trap Model with nice wood.  Or should I say had....  Crossing the river over thin ice in the winter took it's toll.  The swift water underneath washed them away.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2018 at 8:01 PM, DWARREN123 said:

Remington is in restructure now. Bad decisions by management and drop off in quality would make me leery of any thing new from them.

I do hope they recover. 

I do as well, but it will never happen under a venture capital group. They'll get Remington back in the black again with a new set of investors, and then rape the **** out of them again. Those poor idiots that gave Remington money will be left holding a bag that isn't worth ****.

• 3 months later...

The 870 Police Magnum is built on a separate line than the other shotguns and using first rate materials and experienced employees.

The Express guns made under Cerberus and later owners are poor examples of a once fine shotgun. Any Wingmaster made during DuPont's ownership is golden and that's what I'd look for. 

• Like 1

Ive heard the same as Blueiron, the Police Magnums go through a different line. I spoke to a factory trained armorer that they have been handled by the same guy forever and up until recently he has been training his replacement. I have 3 but they are from the 70's~80's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At the height of Freedom Group’s buggery I bought an 1187 Premiere for that very reason. 

It was beautiful and has been a very solid gun.  I replaced the keyed safety button with an all metal replacement, and got down to business. It has **** thousands of round of clays with very few malfunctions  

It was my understanding it was made on a separate line from the Express guns along with the Police and Wingmaster  models.  The wood, bluing, metal work and engraving are all flawless. 

Edited by Collim1

Was just curious, thanks everyone..  I'm all set with my old Wingmaster Police trade in I bought in the 70's for way less than $200.00.

Edited by DrB
spelling