Anyone use a NAS on a Windows AD domain?

gwalchmai

I need a big file repository to share a bunch of old closed jobs. They'd all be read-only for most domain members, but some would only be viewable to authorized personnel. I have a little over a TB currently and will add probably 200GB per year. I'd also like 10GB Ethernet and 4TB in a RAID10. AD integration is a must.

Suggestions appreciated.

• Like 1

I need a big file repository to share a bunch of old closed jobs. They'd all be read-only for most domain members, but some would only be viewable to authorized personnel. I have a little over a TB currently and will add probably 200GB per year. I'd also like 10GB Ethernet and 4TB in a RAID10. AD integration is a must.

Suggestions appreciated.

Have you looked at a WD My Cloud?

https://www.wdc.com/products/persona...1-b2bfe8d8aef8

I have one with Win8, then Win10, and it's been fine. Outside access can be controlled by user, and by directory and by privledge. A bit slow on the upload, so if you can load your data via the USB port on the device, it's faster. I notice they've gone to 1GB interface, that will help immensely.

Active directory is supported only on the following WD Products:

• My Cloud EX2

• My Cloud EX2 Ultra

• My Cloud EX4

• My Cloud EX2100

• My Cloud DL2100

• My Cloud PR2100

• My Cloud EX4100

• My Cloud DL4100

• My Cloud PR4100

Alternatively, how about an Azure account?

Edited by dudel

AM, I try to avoid WD and Seagate, esp since they merged. A couple of my coworkers have reported happiness using MyCloud at their homes and I think it probably shines in that arena.

Is your Synology NAS integrated into an AD domain? I don't plan on living long enough to manage duplicate ACLs. ;)

AM, I try to avoid WD and Seagate, esp since they merged. A couple of my coworkers have reported happiness using MyCloud at their homes and I think it probably shines in that arena.

Is your Synology NAS integrated into an AD domain? I don't plan on living long enough to manage duplicate ACLs. ;)

Yes it is. Joining is handled through a form in the Synology management control panel.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"synologycp.jpg","data-attachmentid":5975}[/ATTACH]

synologycp.jpg.7e1d4b3ba6720824cc3f79d280e17b07.jpg

Edited by Animal Mother

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 1:42 PM, IndyGunFreak said:

I don't use AD (mainly because I don't use Windows at all)... but I built my own NAS.  Never could find an off the shelf version I liked.  Building is way more versatile, IMO.

I considered doing that but was worried it would fall in among all the other projects I have in progress and never get completed.  

What hardware and software did you use?

29 minutes ago, Animal Mother said:

I considered doing that but was worried it would fall in among all the other projects I have in progress and never get completed.  

What hardware and software did you use?

Hardware is pretty basic stuff.

MSI Motherboard (version escapes me at the moment and I'm not at home)

2.4ghz Celeron

FreeNas Node 304

8gigs of ram

Some cheap ssd 16gig ssd I got on Newegg.

Storage drives 2, 4tb drives

OS --. Running OpenMediaVault (it's just Debian with a custom webui)... I like it a lot.  It's pretty basic out of the box so to speak, but there's a repository called "omvextras" that adds a ton of additional plugins for the webui.  Only ones I really use are nfs, rsync, forked-dapp, ftp, and samba, and CUPS.  (Turned an old crap hp printer, into a network printer). I used to use Plex on it as well, but switched to using Kodi and just point it at my samba shares (for some reason it gets problematic with my nfs shares).. there's probably some other stuff I use, but that's the main stuff.

33 minutes ago, IndyGunFreak said:

Hardware is pretty basic stuff.

MSI Motherboard (version escapes me at the moment and I'm not at home)

2.4ghz Celeron

FreeNas Node 304

8gigs of ram

Some cheap ssd 16gig ssd I got on Newegg.

Storage drives 2, 4tb drives

OS --. Running OpenMediaVault (it's just Debian with a custom webui)... I like it a lot.  It's pretty basic out of the box so to speak, but there's a repository called "omvextras" that adds a ton of additional plugins for the webui.  Only ones I really use are nfs, rsync, forked-dapp, ftp, and samba, and CUPS.  (Turned an old crap hp printer, into a network printer). I used to use Plex on it as well, but switched to using Kodi and just point it at my samba shares (for some reason it gets problematic with my nfs shares).. there's probably some other stuff I use, but that's the main stuff.

OpenMediaVault was what I was looking at using when I was going to build my own NAS, it seems like it would do an excellent job and might even have features available that Synology's DSM doesn't have but I got over the urge to use Rasperry Pis for everything before I investigated it too deeply.