Don't you just hate dealing with ISPs?

gwalchmai

I've been served by Chickamauga Telephone Company for 4 years here at the Worm Ranch. They put fiber into my house when ComCast said they'd charge me three grand because there was no local service to the area (their line runs right by my house and they couldn't see it on their system). So these arrogant rednecks at CTC came out and installed the fiber and connected me the next day. Said I was being billed for 200M but I get 400M because they did a silent upgrade. A few weeks later I had some blips and they gave me a wifi router which has worked marvelously. Last month when a tree fell on the line, on Saturday, they came out at 10AM Monday morning and put up a new line (those BASTARDS!)

Saturday I saw an ad from them saying that Gigabit fiber is available. I called this morning and asked about it, and in less than a minute Hannah said she'd "tell the guys downstairs to move me to the new switch". AND the bill is $15 a month less. AND they're refunding the difference for May. AND there's no contract!

So, I think I'll stick with these guys. :460:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Chickamauga Telephone Company

Where the phrase service with a smile still means something.

I used a company that was leasing bandwidth off of AT&T.  Their prices were lower than AT&Ts and they actually sent an AT&T representative out to install the line.  The funny thing was they were not happy with the wiring that was there and had AT&T repair the wiring in my box on the wall outside, which was something that AT&T always told me that they would charge me by the hour to do.  So, AT&T fixed it for free.

AT&T has to charge more to pay off their fixed cost.  But the subcontractor gets pricing that allows a lower unit cost which is more or less limited to operating (or per unit) costs.  So, they can be cheaper.

• Like 3