PCP air guns

jmohme

When the ammo shortage was in full swing, it revived an old bug I had about wanting to try out PCP air guns, so I bought a cheap entry level Umarex Origin. It came with a hand pump so that made the choice an easy one. It is a decent little .22 cal air gun with plenty power and surprisingly accurate. It allowed me to shoot out to a 100 yards and satisfied my need to do a bit of target work.

In November, we had a raccoon in that was getting in the chicken pen, Killing our birds. We took care of it with my Glock. Effective but loud. We are rural on 5 acres, and would like a quieter solutions, so with PCP air rifles on the brain, I bought an .25 caliber Airforce TalonP. Now this is not a quiet airgun either, so I go it with a moderator, mounted a cheap 4x scope I had laying around, and then a light on the front rail. With 33 grain pellets it chrono's at 870 fps for 55 FPE. Adequate to deal with any pest that might try to kill my birds.

IMG_2012sm.jpg

Now this gun only has a 12 inch barrel, so I was not expecting real accuracy, but knew it would be adequate for pests at 20 to 30 yards, but when I started shooting it in my backyard range, I was putting pellets in single hole groups at 25 and 50 yards. So with that I decided to spring for a better optic.

Last night I mounted a 6-24x50 scope and did a rough sighting in with a laser bore sight. I took it out about an hour ago and set up a target at 85 yards. The first shot was a bit to the left. A quick adjustment and the next three were on target and in a quarter sized group.

Really liking this gun! I can do real target practice all I want and not break the bank. 300 .25 pellets are more expensive than the more common .177s and .22s, but $25 for 300 pellets is still a lot cheeper than a box of 9mm.

IMG_2013sm.jpg

IMG_2014sm.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/16/2022 at 7:54 PM, Eric said:

My brother just got an AEA Zeus .72-caliber air rifle. It operates at 4,500psi and will launch a 500-grain projectile at 1,050fps. What a beast.

https://www.aeaairgun.us.com/

Zeus22__90413.webp

I know that gun. It's a real hammer, but not a lot of shots per tank fill.

I have thought about a .510 AirForce Texan, but would have to have a scuba tank to teather it. 3 or 4 shots per fill is just a tease.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, jmohme said:

I know that gun. It's a real hammer, but not a lot of shots per tank fill.

I have thought about a .510 AirForce Texan, but would have to have a scuba tank to teather it.

My brother is making a wide variety of projectiles for higher-end air rifles and more and more accessories all the time. The terminal performance of some of his slugs is impressive as hell. These new rifles ain't your daddy's Daisy.

https://texomaprecisionpellet.com/

1 minute ago, Eric said:

My brother is making a wide variety of projectiles for higher-end air rifles and more and more accessories all the time. The terminal performance of some of his slugs is impressive as hell. These new rifles ain't your daddy's Daisy.

https://texomaprecisionpellet.com/

No, they are not!  

Has he tried charging with helium? That is supposed to really boost performance, especially with slugs.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, jmohme said:

No, they are not!  

Has he tried charging with helium? That is supposed to really boost performance, especially with slugs.

I don't know. I'll have to ask him. Do you just run a line from the helium tank to the inlet of the compressor?

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I don't know. I'll have to ask him. Do you just run a line from the helium tank to the inlet of the compressor?

You should run with through a high volume regulator to the compressor inlet. I have been looking at doing that to compress dry nitrogen to the 4500 psi that my rifle fills to.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, jmohme said:

I just realized who your brother is.

I have been looking at his web site a bit. Been thinking about a .257 slug barrel for my TalonP.

He is really diving into the air gun business. His site has been up just over a year and he is accumulating a respectable number of products.

• Administrators

You should run with through a high volume regulator to the compressor inlet. I have been looking at doing that to compress dry nitrogen to the 4500 psi that my rifle fills to.

Are there any dangers inherit with using nitrogen or helium?

Just now, Eric said:

Are there any dangers inherit with using nitrogen or helium?

Nitrogen, no. I just want to use it for a dry and consistent source.

Helium molecules are very small and can really boost power output, and wouldn't try using it on lower end guns, but a powerhouse like your brother AEA should be fine. I seem to have read of people doing it with those. But I would reasearch the crap out of it before trying.

I did see a Youtube video on a custom builder that built a helium gun that shot a projectile that was just under an inch diameter. Thats crazy stuff!

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

He is really diving into the air gun business. His site has been up just over a year and he is accumulating a respectable number of products.

The PCP air gun industry has made a lot of advances recently and becoming quiet popular. 

He probably got into this at a really good time.

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, jmohme said:

Nitrogen, no. I just want to use it for a dry and consistent source.

Helium molecules are very small and can really boost power output, and wouldn't try using it on lower end guns, but a powerhouse like your brother AEA should be fine. I seem to have read of people doing it with those. But I would reasearch the crap out of it before trying.

I did see a Youtube video on a custom builder that built a helium gun that shot a projectile that was just under an inch diameter. Thats crazy stuff!

I think my brother makes pellets as big as .72 caliber. He makes a .72 that weighs 1,465gr. That is over 3 ounces of lead!

IMG_5258-2048x1536.jpg

• Administrators

The PCP air gun industry has made a lot of advances recently and becoming quiet popular. 

He probably got into this at a really good time.

Yeah, the industry is growing at one hell of a pace.

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

I think my brother makes pellets as big as .72 caliber. He makes a .72 that weighs 1,465gr. That is over 3 ounces of lead!

IMG_5258-2048x1536.jpg

Wow! 

If he can launch those at 1050 fps that's 3587.34 ft lbs!!!

• Like 1