Reading and metalworking

railfancwb

I’ve been a hobby metalworker for some time. Not very active and not very good. I do enjoy reading about it.

A Canadian, Guy Lautard, wrote several related books targeted primarily to the amateur (but probably useful at some level to professionals). They have been out of print for a number of years. Well worth seeking out and acquiring if you have interests in metalwork and machining  

Over the years I had acquired all his major works except one - novel copyright 1983 titled Strike While the Iron is Hot. Finally found a copy on eBay at a price I was willing to pay…

2796A666-136A-408A-BB72-D68D01F6BC84.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Over the years I had acquired all his major works except one - novel copyright 1983 titled Strike While the Iron is Hot. Finally found a copy on eBay at a price I was willing to pay…

Nothing quite like finding that book you've been looking for forever.

40 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

And this is also interesting… machining with gunsmithing flavor. Some touch of fiction. 

I had some work done recently by a smith that was done so well...it boggled the mind.  He grew up in that shop starting at age nine.

People with skills like this astonish me.

• Like 2

Village Press, which started years ago with “Live Steam” magazine, fed the demand for hobby machining information with three additional magazines. So far three books related to guns and machining have been generated from these. 

72515557-9FF3-45D8-A36E-C68BDB14DADC.jpeg

41765093-2066-4B57-95BE-A1ADAAEA1F28.jpeg

Edited by railfancwb
Remove unrelated info from second picture

On 6/16/2021 at 4:02 PM, railfancwb said:

I’ve been a hobby metalworker for some time. Not very active and not very good. I do enjoy reading about it.

A Canadian, Guy Lautard, wrote several related books targeted primarily to the amateur (but probably useful at some level to professionals). They have been out of print for a number of years. Well worth seeking out and acquiring if you have interests in metalwork and machining  

2796A666-136A-408A-BB72-D68D01F6BC84.jpeg

Finished reading it this morning. Enjoyable. Glad I found and bought it.