I may have to sell my Vette

crockett

One more thing...

I had a 1987 Buick Grand National back in the day. It only came in Henry Ford's favorite color. Aside from the terrible GM build quality, I learned to hate it all because of the color. 

It was a huge, ginormous, sinkhole of time. Why? It was black and black vehicles demand an inordinate amount of time to clean, wash, wax, and maintain. Think at least twice as much as a silver, a red, or any other color - probably three to four times as much as the same vehicle in white. I am demanding about the way a road car looks, but I am not OCD. I owned a Jeep during that time and it had plenty of "Arizona pinstriping", along with every truck I've owned, but a car is different. It shouldn't look like trash and the time it took to keep it clean and decent looking was a huge suck of time. One day a week was spent on it and it was only a two door car.

You buy that thing with it's long expanses of flat/nearly flat sheet metal finished all in black and you'll be spending two days washing and detailing it. It will show every molecule of dust and dirt, it will show every scratch and paint imperfection, every ripple and misalignment. Like a presentation grade 1911 pistol, it will look great with a traditional 'Royal Blue' high polish finish, but it will show every bit of wear it gets. 

If you love detailing, it is a great looking ride. If you don't absolutely love it, you will learn to loathe it.  

8 hours ago, blueiron said:

One more thing...

I had a 1987 Buick Grand National back in the day. It only came in Henry Ford's favorite color. Aside from the terrible GM build quality, I learned to hate it all because of the color. 

It was a huge, ginormous, sinkhole of time. Why? It was black and black vehicles demand an inordinate amount of time to clean, wash, wax, and maintain. Think at least twice as much as a silver, a red, or any other color - probably three to four times as much as the same vehicle in white. I am demanding about the way a road car looks, but I am not OCD. I owned a Jeep during that time and it had plenty of "Arizona pinstriping", along with every truck I've owned, but a car is different. It shouldn't look like trash and the time it took to keep it clean and decent looking was a huge suck of time. One day a week was spent on it and it was only a two door car.

You buy that thing with it's long expanses of flat/nearly flat sheet metal finished all in black and you'll be spending two days washing and detailing it. It will show every molecule of dust and dirt, it will show every scratch and paint imperfection, every ripple and misalignment. Like a presentation grade 1911 pistol, it will look great with a traditional 'Royal Blue' high polish finish, but it will show every bit of wear it gets. 

If you love detailing, it is a great looking ride. If you don't absolutely love it, you will learn to loathe it.  

I had the yellow Trans Am that was in a constant state of detail, then there was the black F250 high boy sitting next to it that I hauled wood and dead animals in. At a back yard party one summer a friend asked why the car was always spit shined and the truck was always dirty. My cousin that went woods cruising and Blacktail hunting gave the proper response. "The car is for cruising, the truck is for using." That 75 High Boy is still in the family resting over at my sons place.

On 11/30/2020 at 11:54 AM, blueiron said:

One more thing...

I owned a 2500 Denali Duramax in black... wasn't that bad. My white cars showed dirt much faster, the back is always full with soot. I wash my vehicles on a regular basis with a gas pressure washer, foam cannon etc.

Miss that truck. Not one issue in 4 years.

Edited by crockett

49 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I had the yellow Trans Am that was in a constant state of detail, then there was the black F250 high boy sitting next to it that I hauled wood and dead animals in. At a back yard party one summer a friend asked why the car was always spit shined and the truck was always dirty. My cousin that went woods cruising and Blacktail hunting gave the proper response. "The car is for cruising, the truck is for using." That 75 High Boy is still in the family resting over at my sons place.

I started gettin interested in "cars", bout 4 months before Kennedy was assassinated in 63.  Worked at the local Record shop I did, back when "The Lion Sleeps tonight, " Was #1 in the Box of the Top 50....:biggrin: 

Dude named Bobby.  His dad use to own the Texaco Garage, right out side the back gate of Offutt AFB right outside Omaha, Neb.  Bellevue.  He had a 59 El Camino.  "The Fonz", basically.  He never even knew he had a "Fan Club" of half of the 9th grade pool shootin boys at Bellevue Jr. High.  Anyway...I digress...

Pics of Vette?

I'll give trading the Vette in on an SUV (especially a black, blacked-out SUV) a hard pass. 

Learn to drive the Vette at a reasonable speed. I had to do that recently, but I still enjoy the power here and there. Plus, there's the beauty, comfort, control, engineering.....just tons of other ways to enjoy owning a car like a Corvette.

Hell, one of my odd little enjoyments is driving in bad weather. I love the challenge to my machine and myself.

Plus, taking the roof off is a driving experience in and of itself.

Edited by M&P15T

On 12/1/2020 at 10:24 AM, M&P15T said:

Pics of Vette?

I'll give trading the Vette in on an SUV (especially a black, blacked-out SUV) a hard pass. 

Learn to drive the Vette at a reasonable speed. I had to do that recently, but I still enjoy the power here and there. Plus, there's the beauty, comfort, control, engineering.....just tons of other ways to enjoy owning a car like a Corvette.

Hell, one of my odd little enjoyments is driving in bad weather. I love the challenge to my machine and myself.

Plus, taking the roof off is a driving experience in and of itself.

Easier said than done. My level of discipline is pretty bad.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, crockett said:

Easier said than done. My level of discipline is pretty bad.

image.png.a325c2acd486bf6e9b55e4abe7f14daf.png

Dude......learn to enjoy driving it at sane speeds, and only punch it when you are 100% free & clear.

That's a beautiful C7, don't get rid of it. Z51? 7SPD? Magneride? Regardless, just give it to me.

Edited by M&P15T

21 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

Dude......learn to enjoy driving it at sane speeds, and only punch it when you are 100% free & clear.

That's a beautiful C7, don't get rid of it. Z51? 7SPD? Magneride? Regardless, just give it to me.

I'll try.

Nope, my first C7 was a Z51 with some options. You may remember the story, it was a lemon, eating 2 quarts of oil every 1k miles, and I had to sue GM in order to get all my money back, because none of my local dealers could or would fix it. My second GMC Denali Duramax had also massive issues (Chevy shake) and I sold that a year later.

So for the longest time I thought I was done with GM.

Then they announced the new C8 Vette, and I put money down. Was on the waiting list for over a year but my allocation got pushed back 4 times due to GM workers being on strike and the virus crap earlier this year.

I had this massive need for a quick car and wasn't wiling to wait for the C8 any longer, so I decided to buy another C7. Mine was a left-over, sitting on a dealer lot up north for a few months. At that point nobody wanted the C7 anymore. A Dealer down in Miami bought all those lot cars and sold them with huge discounts. Got mine 12k below sticker.

Since I was stilling planning to get the C8 at that point, I only wanted a base C7 and mod the **** out of it.

So far I installed an AWE exhaust system, lowered it on stock bolts, installed race level sway bars (it now has a wheel hanging in the air when driving onto the driveway sideways, insane cornering speeds, ZERO body roll).

Planned mods:

- Taxes Speed headers

- Taxes Speed stage 3 cam

- Matching springs, lifters, etc

- Twin turbos

- Intercoolers

- Matching fuel pump and injectors

- Tune that keeps the bottom end and torque converter alive, around 850 RWHP

- Wheels / tire combo that gets the power down half way decently

That should be a fun package that is still manageable. Don't want a build motor, easily adds 20+k, you will need to mod the trans, converter, diff as well. You will need more cooling... and it would still break. No NOS, E and water cooling either. I want to drive it every day with no hassles.

45 minutes ago, crockett said:

I'll try.

Nope, my first C7 was a Z51 with some options. You may remember the story, it was a lemon, eating 2 quarts of oil every 1k miles, and I had to sue GM in order to get all my money back, because none of my local dealers could or would fix it. My second GMC Denali Duramax had also massive issues (Chevy shake) and I sold that a year later.

So for the longest time I thought I was done with GM.

Then they announced the new C8 Vette, and I put money down. Was on the waiting list for over a year but my allocation got pushed back 4 times due to GM workers being on strike and the virus crap earlier this year.

I had this massive need for a quick car and wasn't wiling to wait for the C8 any longer, so I decided to buy another C7. Mine was a left-over, sitting on a dealer lot up north for a few months. At that point nobody wanted the C7 anymore. A Dealer down in Miami bought all those lot cars and sold them with huge discounts. Got mine 12k below sticker.

Since I was stilling planning to get the C8 at that point, I only wanted a base C7 and mod the **** out of it.

So far I installed an AWE exhaust system, lowered it on stock bolts, installed race level sway bars (it now has a wheel hanging in the air when driving onto the driveway sideways, insane cornering speeds, ZERO body roll).

Planned mods:

- Taxes Speed headers

- Taxes Speed stage 3 cam

- Matching springs, lifters, etc

- Twin turbos

- Intercoolers

- Matching fuel pump and injectors

- Tune that keeps the bottom end and torque converter alive, around 850 RWHP

- Wheels / tire combo that gets the power down half way decently

That should be a fun package that is still manageable. Don't want a build motor, easily adds 20+k, you will need to mod the trans, converter, diff as well. You will need more cooling... and it would still break. No NOS, E and water cooling either. I want to drive it every day with no hassles.

Well....you're far above my pay-grade with the mods.

An FYI; 850 turbocharged HP will kill the stock motor pretty quick. Texas Speed could build your block up to properly handle that power level. I'm sure you're already watching Cleetus Mcfarland and his antics.

Edited by M&P15T

6 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

An FYI; 850 turbocharged HP will kill the stock motor pretty quick. Texas Speed could build your block up to properly handle that power level. I'm sure you're already watching Cleetus Mcfarland and his antics.

Yeah I have to agree.  600 hp is getting close to the point where you need to upgrade the LT2  internals to handle the extra horsepower.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

I know Garrett and Cooper personally, I live 15 min from his house and his track, and 20 min from his shop in ST Pete. Jeremy will actually do the dyno runs for me. Around 850 is the known limit for a stock LT1 engine. It won't last 100k miles with my driving style, same applies for an all stock C7, but it won't blow up after some 15k miles either. Garrett's C7 was a mess from day one, he didn't know what he was doing when he first put a pro charger on it. And he is to this day doing half assed jobs on a time crunch for his content, putting his builds at risk. But then again, the drama brings him views...

51 minutes ago, crockett said:

I know Garrett and Cooper personally, I live 15 min from his house and his track, and 20 min from his shop in ST Pete. Jeremy will actually do the dyno runs for me. Around 850 is the known limit for a stock LT1 engine. It won't last 100k miles with my driving style, same applies for an all stock C7, but it won't blow up after some 15k miles either. Garrett's C7 was a mess from day one, he didn't know what he was doing when he first put a pro charger on it. And he is to this day doing half assed jobs on a time crunch for his content, putting his builds at risk. But then again, the drama brings him views...

But this all flies in the face of driving the car in a relaxed manner, and not getting tickets and such.

3 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

But this all flies in the face of driving the car in a relaxed manner, and not getting tickets and such.

My friend's neighbor is a PSP trooper.  He saw my mustang in the driveway and right off the bat asked me how fast I've had it up to. 

It's black, I've had it almost 18 months.  Hand washed it twice, when I detailed it.  Otherwise, go to the touchless car wash.  Rarely dry it, just gets dirty on the way home anyway.

I bought it to drive, not detail.

mustang.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

That's what I said earlier in another post. I'm not sure what I will do at this point. For now, I'll try to chill out and only go fast when nobody is around. If I keep the car, I will at least throw an aggressive cam, header and tune at it, mainly for that chop and decel pop.

Along those lines...

9 minutes ago, pittpa said:

My friend's neighbor is a PSP trooper.  He saw my mustang in the driveway and right off the bat asked me how fast I've had it up to. 

It's black, I've had it almost 18 months.  Hand washed it twice, when I detailed it.  Otherwise, go to the touchless car wash.  Rarely dry it, just gets dirty on the way home anyway.

I bought it to drive, not detail.

mustang.JPG

I do like me some Mustangs. Nothing wrong with Vette's though.

5 minutes ago, crockett said:

That's what I said earlier in another post. I'm not sure what I will do at this point. For now, I'll try to chill out and only go fast when nobody is around. If I keep the car, I will at least throw an aggressive cam, header and tune at it, mainly for that chop and decel pop.

Along those lines...

Honestly, you're too deep into the street racing/mod scene to not get tickets. It's just gonna happen. It's too much what you like about your car. Your personally knowing Garret, Cooper and Jeremy speaks to that clearly.

In your particular case, it might just be best to sell it and get something to chill in.

Edited by M&P15T

10 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

Honestly, you're too deep into the street racing/mod scene to not get tickets. It's just gonna happen. It's too much what you like about your car.

In your particular case, it might just be best to sell it and get something to chill in.

Didn't get a ticket in 7 years, thanks to Uniden scanners and knowing the local spots. And being lucky. I'd like to keep it that way.

Last time I was pulled over was on my KTM 500 sumo, pulling a block long wheelie in-front of an unmarked Tahoe, packed with 4 LEOs on the way to court or something. He could have been my son, age wise, and asked me if I'm not too old for "this bullshit". He let me off... but that was quite embarrassing. I sold my last bike soon after.

Edited by crockett

2 minutes ago, crockett said:

Didn't get a ticket in 7 years, thanks to a Uniden scanners and knowing the local spots. And being lucky. I'd like to keep it that way.

Last time I was pulled over was on my KTM 500 sumo, pulling a block long wheelie in-front of an unmarked Tahoe, packed with 4 LEOs on the way to court or something. He could have been my son, age wise, and asked me if I'm not too old for "this bullshit". He let me off... but that was quiet embarrassing. I sold my last bike soon after.

So, now I'm confused. You're saying you haven't had any issues like tickets yet?

You're just worried it's going to happen in the future?

3 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

So, now I'm confused. You're saying you haven't had any issues like tickets yet?

You're just worried it's going to happen in the future?

Exactly. And I'm not concerned about a speeding ticket going 20 over. Last thing I want is anything in the reckless driving category. Or in fact crashing and causing harm. So I do have to learn to chill out, or give up anything that goes fast.

Edited by crockett

18 minutes ago, crockett said:

Exactly. And I'm not concerned about a speeding ticket going 20 over. Last thing I want is anything in the reckless driving category. Or in fact crashing and causing harm. So I do have to learn to chill out, or give up anything that goes fast.

So, I was doing.....some absurd MPHs in a National Park, which has a 35MPH speed limit.......and absolutely AMAZING twisty turns and dips, straights, tunnels......you name it. Got caught, got a huge ticket, and was lucky to not be arrested. Just about a year or two ago.

After that, my enjoyment of my car has focused on the Grand Touring part of my car's capabilities. I have since returned to the sceen of my crime, and made it a focused point to enjoy that amazing drive, without doing more than 5MPH over the speed limit. And with the windows down, the cool, crisp mountain air and views, the perfect music, it's still the greatest relaxation for me. Gone are my days of Ayrton Senna-ing may way through that park.

My car is my DD. Yes, I still pin it occasionally. And I take the turns without lifting like the other plebes on the road. But I do it when and where I can. And I almost never do more than 10 over. 

Somehow you just gotta find other ways to enjoy your car. If it was me, that car would get mods that make it more comfortable, while still handling and braking amazingly well. Maybe start with brakes. Install the OEM Z51 brakes. Then one of the interior insulation kits. Forget all that other straight-line, loud, "look-at-me!!!" crap, and do tasteful mods that make it a better driver.

Make it something that you would want to drive across the country in, for pure pleasure.

Edited by M&P15T
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

So, I was doing.....some absurd MPHs in a National Park, which has a 35MPH speed limit.......and absolutely AMAZING twisty turns and dips, straights, tunnels......you name it. Got caught, got a huge ticket, and was lucky to not be arrested. Just about a year or two ago.

After that, my enjoyment of my car has focused on the Grand Touring part of my car's capabilities. I have since returned to the sceen of my crime, and made it a focused point to enjoy that amazing drive, without doing more than 5MPH over the speed limit. And with the windows down, the cool, crisp mountain air and views, the perfect music, it's still the greatest relaxation for me. Gone are my days of Ayrton Senna-ing may way through that park.

My car is my DD. Yes, I still pin it occasionally. And I take the turns without lifting like the other plebes on the road. But I do it when and where I can. And I almost never do more than 10 over. 

Somehow you just gotta find other ways to enjoy your car. If it was me, that car would get mods that make it more comfortable, while still handling and braking amazingly well. Maybe start with brakes. Install the OEM Z51 brakes. Then one of the interior insulation kits. Forget all that other straight-line, loud, "look-at-me!!!" crap, and do tasteful mods that make it a better driver.

I really appreciate your suggestions, and I think I will be able to relate to your analogy. So far, cars like my Vettes had been my instrument to get an adrenalin kick. I'm literally addicted to that feeling. Sitting on my ass all day long doesn't leave many opportunities for physical excitement. I need to find something else...

I'll start trying to makes rides early Sunday mornings, with less traffic around, because other people being in my way triggers aggressive driving in me. And I will try to enjoy the ride with the targa top off.

Skipping the look at me mods will also help to keep folks away that want to race.

22 minutes ago, crockett said:

I really appreciate your suggestions, and I think I will be able to relate to your analogy. So far, cars like my Vettes had been my instrument to get an adrenalin kick. I'm literally addicted to that feeling. Sitting on my ass all day long doesn't leave many opportunities for physical excitement. I need to find something else...

I'll start trying to makes rides early Sunday mornings, with less traffic around, because other people being in my way triggers aggressive driving in me. And I will try to enjoy the ride with the targa top off.

Skipping the look at me mods will also help to keep folks away that want to race.

I was looking at an LT1/Z51/7SPD car before I bought my current Mustang.

The mods I was looking at were an interior insulation kit, Micheline Pilot Sport 4Ss (replacing those horrible run-flats, giving a better ride with the same/better handling), and adding something to the infotainment/stereo system to boost it a bit. The thought of driving it, with the roof off, fresh-air, carving the twisties (within reasonable speeds), enjoying the grunt of the acceleration while keeping the actual speed low......really infatuated me. Having a really sporty Grand Touring experience. Comfort, pace, confidence. Sublime.

My current car has the Magneride, Active exhaust, a decent sound system. It's roomy, comfortable, supremely stable, incredibly confidence inspiring, with amazing, and I mean MONSTER brakes (truthfully, better than a Corvette's), and quiet. It's space, pace and grace. It can be loud and obnoxious, corning flat when I want, then turn to a quiet, relaxing tourer when I want. I truly believe there is no better car to drive from NY to LA in. It could do 160MPH in the empty vastness of the Western Plains, and then make long stretches of sticking to the speed limit, or being stuck in traffic, beyond comfortable.

So that's how I enjoy my car. Thankfully it's cost me only a few hundred dollars in super plush (and NVH canceling) floor and trunk mats, as far as mods go. It needs nothing else.

Can you share the details of your car?  

Edited by M&P15T

On 12/4/2020 at 2:47 PM, M&P15T said:

I was looking at an LT1/Z51/7SPD car before I bought my current Mustang.

The mods I was looking at were an interior insulation kit, Micheline Pilot Sport 4Ss (replacing those horrible run-flats, giving a better ride with the same/better handling), and adding something to the infotainment/stereo system to boost it a bit. The thought of driving it, with the roof off, fresh-air, carving the twisties (within reasonable speeds), enjoy the grunt of the acceleration while keeping the actual speed low......really infatuated me. 

Can you share the details of your car?  

I literally tried to get the cheapest base C7 when I bought it. All I wanted was the red paint (for a change), and black Z51 wheels (don't like chrome rims). So its a LT1, no dry sump, A8. Pained red calipers and red seats is the only option next to the black wheels.

I actually like the aggressive handling of my sway bars, even when going slow. The exhaust is not a straight pipe style system. It only becomes really loud when going WOT. I got a truck and now this beach beater Minivan project for plenty of mods, so I don't have to do anything with the Vette, just learning to see it as a relaxing and fun ride instead of a "race car". I need to make that switch in my head for the most part.

There's not much I would want to change in the optics department. I actually like the clean look better than those Z06 and ZR1 with all those added plastics.

Edited by crockett

5 minutes ago, crockett said:

I literally tried to get the cheapest base C7 when I bought it. All I wanted was the red paint (for a change), and black Z51 wheels (don't like chrome rims). So its a LT1, no dry sump, A8. Pained red calipers and red seats is the only option next to the black wheels.

I actually like the aggressive handling of my sway bars, even when going slow. The exhaust is not a straight pipe style system. It only becomes really loud when going WOT. I got a truck and now this beach beater Minivan project for plenty of mods, so I don't have to do anything with the Vette, just learning to see it as a relaxing and fun ride instead of a "race car". I need to make that switch in my head for the most part.

There's not much I would want to change in the optics department. I actually like the clean look better than those Z06 and ZR1 with all those added plastics.

image.png.b69a8d4af174245467abc848b1d77128.png

Yeah....I really like everything about your car. Of course I'd do the mods I've listed above, but it's damn near perfect the way it sits now. I too like the more restrained standard styling, rather than the Z06/ZR1/Grand Sport looks.

How often do you drive it?

Edited by M&P15T

1 minute ago, M&P15T said:

Yeah....I really like everything about your car. Of course I'd do the mods I've listed above, but it's damn near perfect the way it sits now.

How often do you drive it?

Its kinda weird. I wash it on my drive way maybe every 2 to 3 weeks. After detailing it, I often don't drive it for a week, trying to keep it clean, followed by driving the **** out of it for 1 week straight on a daily basis. Well, its usually 1 to 2 hour round trips.