Critters

Swampfox762

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, pipedreams said:

b73280ce395eb828.jpg

When fishing in Northern Minnesota every year this is a very common occurrence.  Many times they will dive at the boat to pick up bait that came loose from the hook.

One day I was anchored, and watched an adult Eagle teach a youngster just how to pick fish from the water.  We were catching Rock Bass (panfish) and we don't keep them, so we took them off and threw them back.  Many in our state consider it a rough fish.

Most Rock Bass would flounder on the surface, due to the damage they couldn't submerge.  The adult Eagle was sitting on one post in the water about 20 feet from our boat.  The youngster was on the adjacent post. 

The adult took flight and made a low pass next to our boat, deftly picked the floundering fish out of the water by pausing in mid-air just above the fish, then almost causally picking it up in its claws and flying back to the post to eat the fish.

Next, the youngster duplicated the act by flying off the post and gaining altitude, then diving at the fish and missed!  It went after the fish like a fighter plane! It went back to the post empty claws and all.

The adult flew from the post and went to the same floundering fish, pausing in mid air effortlessly, to grab the fish and take it back to the post.

This time the youngster duplicate her/his moves exactly, and while pausing above the fish grasped it in its talons and took it back to the post to eat.  I was floored!  I had seen an Eagle teach another just how to pick fish from the water.  It was absolutely amazing.  We had 4 in the boat and we all were mesmerized by this whole event. 

• Like 3