Rick Moranis attacked while walking near NYC's Central Park(video)

TBO

Just now, Eric said:

It has the power to transport you.

One hundred percent.  There's music in the 1500s that blows my mind.   I love Gregorian chant (i'm a  closet monk).

I'm not sure there's an era of music i don't find something i love.   The music of the 1980s is fantastic.  

But you know, some times, i have to ask, "Will you walk on by?"

Of course Murray head and probably had our heads down playing chess.

Time flies doesn't seem a minute since the Tirolean spa had the chess boys in it.
All change don't you know that when you play at this level there's no ordinary venue.
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

This is a gateway musician. If I keep this up, I'll be posting Rod Stewart songs and ELO and who knows what that will lead to?

Works for me.  Being musically inept beyond all repair...i listen to music and wish i could do it.

As i once said to someone, "Ma'am i only sing cadence."

• Administrators
Just now, Historian said:

One hundred percent.  There's music in the 1500s that blows my mind.   I love Gregorian chant (i'm a  closet monk).

I'm not sure there's an era of music i don't find something i love.   The music of the 1980s is fantastic.  

But you know, some times, i have to ask, "Will you walk on by?"

Of course Murray head and probably had our heads down playing chess.

Time flies doesn't seem a minute since the Tirolean spa had the chess boys in it.
All change don't you know that when you play at this level there's no ordinary venue.

I discovered Owaine Phyfe at a Renaissance Fair more than twenty years ago. He turned me on to all sorts of centuries-old music and it got me started exploring all types of music. I love discovering something new that I enjoy.

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I discovered Owaine Phyfe at a Renaissance Fair more than twenty years ago. He turned me on to all sorts of centuries-old music and it got me started exploring all types of music. I love discovering something new that I enjoy.

Owain was a time traveler.  And of all the arts...music seems to have a universal place in the hearts of all of us.

In my case i wanted to have a conversation with my dad.   His PHD is in the humanities and he loves fine music.   But my knowledge of history is conflict.

So without telling him i took a college course in the history of music...and then took a second. 

Starting around Thanksgiving that year...i started dropping little nuggets into conversations.   He turned at me at his dinner table and said, "What! Have you been reading!?"

I laughed.  It went on for two months before I admitted it.

We finally had those conversations I needed.

• Like 2

• Administrators
Just now, Historian said:

That's a pretty universal song to like, Eric.

Shatner sang a dreadful version of it.

Imagine Captain Kirk trying to rock it out.   Just...wasn't going to happen.

I still think that Shatner's version was supposed to be a joke, but he Andy Kaufmaned the punchline somehow.

Just now, Eric said:

I still think that Shatner's version was supposed to be a joke, but he Andy Kaufmaned the punchline somehow.

Good old Andy.   Some of my friends have suggested i getting to me a little like his Taxi driving Reverend Jim.  Well maybe like his pre-pot college days.

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Historian said:

Good old Andy.   Some of my friends have suggested i getting to me a little like his Taxi driving Reverend Jim.  Well maybe like his pre-pot college days.

Reverend Jim was a seventies cultural icon. Christopher Lloyd is a treasure.

• Administrators

This is the first song I saw Phyfe perform, when I met him at the Phoenix Renaisance Fair. I got to talk with him for twenty minutes or so. He was a hell of a nice guy and incrdibly talented. He was also an old-world bard. He was born in the wrong century, or the right one, I guess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

This is the first song I saw Phyfe perform, when I met him at the Phoenix Renaisance Fair. I got to talk with him for twenty minutes or so. He was a hell of a nice guy and incrdibly talented. He was also an old-world bard. He was born in the wrong century, or the right one, I guess.

Some people do time travel in a way.  Not physically.  Like in a movie.  But when a great teacher like Phyfe inspires and teaches....he brings the past to the present...and put us in contact with our past.

History books do that for me.   I can get lost in a period.  A topic.

Like...murder...aye Salieri?  Did you do it? I think you're guilty.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1