National Pretzel Day

DrB

Today is Pretzel day..  Suddenly I have a taste for some..

Heard on the radio that 80% of Pretzels come from Pennsylvania.  Anyone here from PA and have some local favorite brands we can't get out of state? 

Otherwise folks, what are your favorites?  I have to run into town and pick up a supply...

Dave..

• Like 1

When I was a boy when the Charles Chip arrived at the house she would always get a can of these along with a can of potato chips.  I always loved it when the Charley Chip truck showed up..

Charles.jpg

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1

I'm from PA and my favorites came from Reading PA. Billy's Bretzels and Health brand sour dough were big hit when I was a kid. Dad would bring them home after a trip to the home office in Leesport. Good old days. tom. :cowboy2:

See the source image

Edited by deputy tom

Just now, DrB said:

I was hoping you would chime in. I have never seen those brands before.  Thanks...

Dave..

Those were popular back in the '60s and early '70s.  Dad brought back lots of goodies from the old neighborhood in those days. I sure miss him and those treats. tom.

1 minute ago, deputy tom said:

Those were popular back in the '60s and early '70s. 

The Charley Chip Truck was a staple here in the 60's.  Just like the Milk Man he would show up and if no one was home take the empty cans and leave full ones.  Would catch up on the payment next time he came.  He also had the big candy tray..  Mom put the cabash on the candy tray sometimes but I was always looking.

Yes good times..  Dave

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DrB said:

The Charley Chip Truck was a staple here in the 60's.  Just like the Milk Man he would show up and if no one was home take the empty cans and leave full ones.  Would catch up on the payment next time he came.  He also had the big candy tray..  Mom put the cabash on the candy tray sometimes but I was always looking.

Yes good times..  Dave

We had Charley's Chip delivery in the early '60s but moved out of their AO and then Dad started bringing home the good stuff. We kept a Charley's Chip can next to the fireplace with kindling wood in it. tom. :cowboy2:

• Like 1

I like Snyders of Hanover but most commercial brands taste pretty much the same. Even Rold Gold that's made by Frito-Lay in El Segundo, CA aren't bad. What I really like is Soft pretzels which is what the original German pretzels were. I like pretzels as a snack because they are healthier and have less carbs and fat than potato chips or corn chips or Cheetos.

From Wikipedia:

Hard pretzels originated in the United States, where, in 1850, the Sturgis bakery in Lititz, Pennsylvania, became the first commercial hard pretzel bakery. Snack food hard pretzels are made in the form of loops, braids, letters, little pretzels, or sticks around 3 millimeters (1⁄8 in) thick and 12 centimeters (5 in) long; they have become a popular snack in many countries around the world.

A thicker variety of sticks can be 1.5 centimeters (1⁄2 in) thick; in the U. S. these are called Bavarian pretzels or pretzel rods. Unlike the soft pretzels, these were durable when kept in an airtight environment and marketable in a variety of convenience stores. Large-scale production began in the first half of the 1900s, more so during 1930 to 1950.

A prime example was in 1949, when highly innovative American Machine and Foundry Co., of New York City, developed the "pretzel bender": a new automatic crispy-styled baked pretzel-twisting machine that rolled and tied them at the rate of 50 a minute—more than twice as fast as skilled hand twisters could make them—and conveyed them through the baking and salting process.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2