A Rare Case of .GOV Efficiency

UHLAWPUP

I just renewed my amateur radio license on line. It took less than five minutes, and they didn't even charge me for my vanity callsign. (I wonder when that happened...)

I've been a ham for over 55 years and this was the easiest renewal yet!

Just thought I'd share. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Historian said:

Loads of fun that hobby, is. 

I sure had a blast with in the old "CB" Days! 

I had some extra "stuff" so to speak, with my CB.  Had a  PDL 2 beam and a Starduster ground plane antenna.  Use to shoot ALOT of "Skip" back in the mid 70's.  My best ever "connect ups" were from Ft. Pierce Fla, I talked to the USS Oglethorpe, about 100 miles south of the Suez Canal on Lower Sideband.  Then in the afternoon of that same day, I talked to a guy I was able to connect with now and then in Hawaii.  We were talking and I was tellin him about my call with the USS Oglethorpe and he said "Wait....can you hear that??"  I said No.  He said "I'll be right back."  Couple minutes later he came back and told me, "I had to turn my beam abound and get my buddys attention in Australia and told him to turn his beams around and see if you and him can hook up."  I couldn't believe it!!!  Talked to him in Australia with a solid 8 on the meter for about 10 minutes.  Back then, we use to send post cards to each other to confirm connect ups like that.  I don't even think the skip is runnin anymore is it???  It was pretty bad back then with all the sun spots.  I could talk to Australia and couldn't hardly talk across the street, the damn skip was so bad.  At least a 3-4 on my meter.

Back in the day....:D

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

I couldn't believe it!!!  Talked to him in Australia with a solid 8 on the meter for about 10 minutes.  Back then, we use to send post cards to each other to confirm connect ups like that.  I don't even think the skip is runnin anymore is it???  It was pretty bad back then with all the sun spots.  I could talk to Australia and couldn't hardly talk across the street, the damn skip was so bad.  At least a 3-4 on my meter.

Back in the day....:D

I still send out QSO cards...and have received them regularly.   But what you described with Australia is the magic of the system.  I have a 100 watt radio. That;s a light bulb.

But i just worked Antarctica.  Amazing.

You never know when things are good for radio coms.   Last Sunday i almost worked Bangkok,  A month ago i missed China.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Historian said:

I have a 100 watt radio. That;s a light bulb.

But i just worked Antarctica.  Amazing.

You never know when things are good for radio coms.   Last Sunday i almost worked Bangkok,  A month ago i missed China.

I wish I could still do Radio, but the hood I live in won't allow ANY antennas.  Back in 76, I was running a Yaesu FT 101 EE.  Don't even know the watts, but it was around 100, but man would that thing Blow Smoke!!  I always kept it toned down to the legal watts though except when somethin like those calls came along, then I'd turn it up a tad.:anim_lol: Still wish I hadn't sold it...damnit.  I think I sold the whole package, the Yaesu, a remote slider, Yaesu speaker, frequency counter and a D-104 chicken choaker for...

I won't even tell ya, I'm so embarrassed.  Damn, I've done some stupid siht...  Glad you're still able to enjoy "Radioing".:D

1 hour ago, Swampfox762 said:

I wish I could still do Radio, but the hood I live in won't allow ANY antennas.  Back in 76, I was running a Yaesu FT 101 EE.  Don't even know the watts, but it was around 100, but man would that thing Blow Smoke!!  I always kept it toned down to the legal watts though except when somethin like those calls came along, then I'd turn it up a tad.:anim_lol: Still wish I hadn't sold it...damnit.  I think I sold the whole package, the Yaesu, a remote slider, Yaesu speaker, frequency counter and a D-104 chicken choaker for...

I won't even tell ya, I'm so embarrassed.  Damn, I've done some stupid siht...  Glad you're still able to enjoy "Radioing".:D

THe Ft 101 EE was one fine rig in it's day. Still is for that matter.   Yeasu makes wonderful products.   Everyone regrets selling them.  To my left are a couple of Drake R4s that still work nicely.  In front of me are three Yeasus (two are 144.hz/444mhz running 50 and 80 watts).

You are by federal law allowed a modest antenna.  Your home owner's group will lose this.  The FCC will back you and so will the ARRL.

Not to mention i'm sure you have lots of antennas called dishes all around your place.  :)

You could also run them like a spy...and get away with it.  A dipole antenna for 144 mhz is only a couple of feet long.   A Carolina Window based on a wire around your roof would hardly be noticed..and some people have used light bulbs for antennas let alone tuned rain gutters.

You should see what it takes to get back in. 

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Skip is that wonderful characteristic of the AM band which encouraged “Clear Channel” frequencies and “sunup to sunset” AM broadcast licenses. Unfortunately “Clear Channel” frequencies are less so today. 

I spent many an hour in my youth trolling the am bands looking for the the elusive dx skip of radios far away. 

Nothing sounds like a baseball game on am. 

Snap, crackle, pop...of storms on the horizon.

42 minutes ago, Historian said:

Why not..get on the air?

Other things have taken precedence since I got my license.  I have had mine for may years, my wife is licensed too, as is my son, and my youngest daughter.  I had a VHF system that allowed me and my wife and son to converse over a 100 mile radius.  This was before cell phones, so I have had many scores of years of pleasure from Ham radio.  I have a basement full of communications gear and mobile equipment providing 160 watts capability for both our cars.

Now we use cell phones for reliability and convenience.  I am a W0 and my wife is a K0.  However we are rarely apart and the only reason for radio communications is for her to call for help from me.

I spent my 40+ years in Physics research also exploiting RF free space communications, guided communications, optical free space and guided communications along with Gigabit communications and Microwave  and GPS work. So I have had plenty of exposure to the fun of communications.

I just got to the point that I found my wife more entertaining than my Hamming.  I do love the hobby, and am current, but little activity.  I keep my dual band Walkie Talkies on Dry Cell power so they are ready while sitting Next to me if the political/weather conditions warrant.

Edited by janice6