In defence of David Lynch’s ‘Dune’

TBO

The Dune movie was an atrocious act to do to a very good story.  It should have been in separate episodes like Star Wars was done to tell the whole story true to the book, not in one shot while leaving out half the story.  I liked the book.  There is little to defend in the poor way the movie was done.

• Like 5

in 1984 Dune was a Breakthrough movie.

just not a story a lot of people had heard of or were hugely invested in, and it went too far from the books for the people that loved it ,it needed to be three movies at least and trying to do it all in one Movie left too much out.

i saw Dune in 84, thought it was Great and never needed a remake it needed Sequels.

i`d add that Ghostbusters,Terminator,Indiana Jones and the Karate Kid and Beverly Hills Cop all came out the same year.

• Like 1

Taking an epic novel and making a two hour movie while staying close to the source material is a recipe for a niche film only loved and understood by hardcore Dune fans.

I agree, a trilogy would have done better and built up a fan base that had never read the books.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fnfalman said:

I never read the books and don’t care to. However I thought the movie was amusing. Didn’t wow me back then but it was entertaining. 

You missed a lot of the character development, relationship building.  It was a lot more than the movie, not just a little more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2020 at 10:11 PM, janice6 said:

You missed a lot of the character development, relationship building.  It was a lot more than the movie, not just a little more.

I tried to read the book. Couldn’t even pass the first quarter.  Same thing with Tolkien’s works. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fnfalman said:

I tried to read the book. Couldn’t even pass the first quarter.  Same thing with Tolkien’s works. 

That's ok.  Not every body likes every story.  You probably like some that I would have trouble with. I 

One of the best trilogys I ever read.  Didn't start as a Trilogy though.   The "Sand worms", the "Melange Spice", the "Kris Knife"...Makes me want to read it again.  The movie was Ok.  They just tried to cram all 3 books into one movie.  One of the Best SF series I ever read.

The Other one was...and I swear to god I can't for the life of me understand why they never made this trilogy into a movie....The Story of Thomas Covenant, the "Un Believer".  He was a Leper, who was "Transposed" shall we say, from modern day... to a place called "The Land".

The Chronicals of Thomas Covenant.  Start with "Lord Fouls Bain".  Just do the first Trilogy.  There is another one after the original, but I got lost in the first book...Just too far removed from the First Series of Books.