Bad Word Filter Issue

fortyofforty

11 minutes ago, fortyofforty said:

Minor glitch here.  When I type a word, I can see it in my original post, but when somebody quotes me, it appears as asterisks.  Just happened in Bored Room.

Did you turn it off?

After the word filter was added, it seemed to be on by default. I had to go back in and turn it off. 

http://theboresite.com/settings/

It's on the right lower of your screen. 

• Administrators

I reinstalled the plugin. Now that I think about it, that probably reset everyone's word filter preference. Sorry about that. Go back in and make sure that filter is turned off for you.

Another issue, and it could be bad. The BFWF doesn't work in email notifications. The notification sends out at least a preview of the post, and it's in plaintext. Don't know if there's anything to be done about that, but it'd probably be preferable to err on the side of virtue.

And thanks for all your work on this, Eric. It's always a 90/10 problem, isn't it?

• Administrators
On 10/6/2017 at 4:28 PM, gwalchmai said:

Another issue, and it could be bad. The BFWF doesn't work in email notifications. The notification sends out at least a preview of the post, and it's in plaintext. Don't know if there's anything to be done about that, but it'd probably be preferable to err on the side of virtue.

And thanks for all your work on this, Eric. It's always a 90/10 problem, isn't it?

OK, the filter should now be working on the content preview in email notifications. Still looking into making it work with Tapatalk. This might not be practically possible, but if it is, we will get it taken care of.

• Administrators

Tapatalk users:

I've come up with a method for filtering content that you see in the Tapatalk app, without screwing up our new bad word filter on the rest of the site. It is not possible to allow Tapatalk users to individually turn a word filter on and off, due to limitations within the Tapatalk application. Given the choice to not filter content in Tapatalk and to filter the bad words seen in that app uniformly, I have chosen to filter the content.

If you don't want to see filtered content, TBS's own mobile layout that you see in your mobile device's browsers does a great job of displaying the site and you have quite a few more options available to you. Also, the only areas of TBS that are visible within Tapatalk are the forums and your private messages. This leaves a lot of content unavailable to Taptalk users. Tapatalk users will not be able to see the Gallery, the Blog area, the new Links area, the upcoming articles area, the upcoming FAQ section and many other great features. If there are folks that want to use that app though, I will leave the option open to them.

If any of you Taptalk users spot any content not being filtered, or see specific words being displayed that you think should be filtered, please let me know. Thanks. Eric

Tapatalk users will not be able to see the Gallery, the Blog area, the new Links area, the upcoming articles area, the upcoming FAQ section and many other great features.

Too bad. Tapatalk is what I use for all forums on my phone because it just works well for me.

Thanks for trying.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, O4L said:

Too bad. Tapatalk is what I use for all forums on my phone because it just works well for me.

Thanks for trying.

There simply is no provision in Tapatalk to access these features. If there were a way to make it happen, I'd do it. The scope of that app is fairly limited. 

• Like 1