AR15/M4 Complete Upper - Chrome Lined Barrel

SC Tiger

Been doing a little searchy search for some AR15 parts to possibly build an AR15.  Since I don't have any desire to mess with headspacing I want to buy the upper assembly complete with the bolt carrier group.

There's a ton of stuff out there but what I'm seeing very few of are chrome-lined barrels.  As I recall, the chrome plating was the silver bullet that turned the M16 from a mediocre jam-o-matic into quite possibly the finest military rifle in existence.  Well, that and cleaning kits.  But anyway.......

Are chrome-plated chambers still a thing or are companies accomplishing the same goal differently now?

The other aggravating thing is that many companies don't even list it as a yes/no (which I assume means "no") in their specs on their barrels.

• Like 2

Not really a thing.  

You get a little more durability, with a little less accuracy.  Most people care about accuracy, and modern treatments for metal are much ahead of where they were over 50 years ago when the military started doing it.

The M16 was mostly not using such crappy powder in the ammo.  Military uses the chrome lining for durability, and because that's what they've always used.  Chrome lining made it a little easier to clean I'm sure, but the jamming issues are in the gas system, not the barrel and chamber (mostly)

Don't worry about it, unless you're out there burning up thousands of rounds a month you'll likely never wear the barrel out to where you'll notice a difference.  At that point you'll know exactly what to look for in your next barrel.

• Like 3

Chrome lined bores were implemented during WW2 to allow use of corrosive primed ammunition in combat situations. They tend to be less accurate than non-plated bores because conventional chrome plating cannot be reliably controlled for depositional thickness and can vary.

The AR-15 was originally designed to use IMR powders. The U.S. Army specified Olin Ball powders for consistent metering, but it used calcium carbonate as a flash inhibiter and the residue it left clogged gas tubes. 

If one is going to use foreign military ammo exclusively or not clean their weapons after use, then chrome plating makes sense. If you aren't, then I would get a rifle/carbine without plating. 

• Like 3

Stainless tends to hold accuracy a little better.

Chrome lined is easier to clean and lasts longer with Corrosive ammo or if you dont clean it right away.

C.H.F. (or BFH if its BCM) tends to last longer and does allow for some better reliability if high rates of fire and high round counts are in the mix.

YMMV depending on Ammo quality,Barrel length and Barrel maker.

but, most makers list only the forging process now, its the new marketing.

it has been a while for me since the last two i bought were complete uppers from BCM and D.D. 

Edited by holyjohnson
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

Stainless tends to hold accuracy a little better.

Chrome lined is easier to clean and lasts longer with Corrosive ammo or if you dont clean it right away.

C.H.F. (or BFH if its BCM) tends to last longer and does allow for some better reliability if high rates of fire and high round counts are in the mix.

YMMV depending on Ammo quality,Barrel length and Barrel maker.

but, most makers list only the forging process now, its the new marketing.

it has been a while for me since the last two i bought were complete uppers from BCM and D.D. 

DD  - Daniel Defense

BCM - ?  Bravo Company Manufacturing?  Vickers' outfit?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

DD  - Daniel Defense

BCM - ?  Bravo Company Manufacturing?  Vickers' outfit?

yes i bought my most recent Upper Receiver Group complete from Bravo Company Manufacturing.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-bfh-16-mid-length-enhanced-light-weight-upper-receiver-group-w-mcmr-15-handguard/

BCM isn`t owned by Vickers, but Vickers is one of BCM`s Gunfighters https://www.bravocompanymfg.com/gunfighters/

and i went with a Daniel Defense m4v5 before that but sold it sometime ago, my next will be  DD MK18 pistol sometime in the future when the BRD kicks in again.

but before all the tacticool goodness i had a normal everyday 11.5 DPMS A2 M4gery that has served me very well through the years, some of it isn`t even MIL-SPEC but it shoots and i upgraded it through the years.