Upbringing and educating through the firearms...

Nestor

...all the crying out loud about the "gun violence" and "demoralization through firearms" takes away something very special from some of us. I've just been a witness to something very touching today...and I'm about to share with You Guys some observations.

My Buddy has a young son who's just not exactly one of your regular kids. After 3 or 4 years of struggle he's out of the public schooling system. He needs much more attention and patience than his peers. I won't go into the details, but let me tell you that it's far more challenging than most people would think.

Second year in a row we take him out for a shooting. Two of us, since he does require a bit more attention than an average kid. It's incredible to watch him patiently follow all the safety rules. Maintaining the muzzle discipline and engaging the safety at the right moments.

He's sincerely engaged and happy. Of course there are some associated struggles, but he made such a great progress since the last year...that there is no comparison really.

Measuring success in this case is much more difficult than usual, but it was such a heartwarming experience to watch these two (Father and Son) out there having the best time together.

I've learnt a lot each time and it feels like just by being there I've became a bit better person.

Now, think about it every time You are told that the firearms are evil....and so are their owners.

I beg to differ...You know.

Getting here requires 4x4 and some extra effort.

tiHc1HS.jpg

It's 14:30 and the Sun is going down...these are some of the shortest days of the year.

UI9z0PK.jpg

Father and Son. Steel targets in the background.

cLxUaC4.jpg

Me playing with the SKS.

zXzrb6G.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I can relate to the OP.  I think back and these were some of my best times with him.  I can believe that the boy in the post feels the same way about his father!

MY first gun was a .22 and my father religiously taught me how to handle it and shoot it.  He spent many hours with me in the woods and back roads.

I really enjoyed the time my father took to teach me.  He was a stringent safety conscious teacher, and I knew why from the start.

He gave me a .33 WCF model 1886 for deer hunting and since the cartridges were obsolete back then, he paid $1 each for the shells so I could shoot.  He was proud of my rifle proficiency.    I dearly loved that gun!

We went hunting even though he was too old to traipse through woods (second marriage).  I still treasure the time we spent together.  He always had time for me.

He was strict but fair, I couldn't ask for anything more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2