Indian Artifacts From The Farm.

DrB

Brought these home from my Dad's estate today.  These are not the good ones, just the first in.  Flint and the stones from the tools are not native here so was all brought in and carved.  There was a Indian Village on the high ground here over the valley. Cool stuff.  I did not want to see this gone from the family.  Some of the good arrowheads I will bring in later if anyone wants to see.  A lot of history here.

Dave..

Indian1.jpg

Indian2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DrB said:

Brought these home from my Dad's estate today.  These are not the good ones, just the first in.  Flint and the stones from the tools are not native here so was all brought in and carved.  There was a Indian Village on the high ground here over the valley. Cool stuff.  I did not want to see this gone from the family.  Some of the good arrowheads I will bring in later if anyone wants to see.  A lot of history here.

Dave..

Indian1.jpg

Indian2.jpg

History.  that "thing" that liberals want to re-write.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As with any family and I am the only heir, strange how things disappear.  Many of the very good ones are gone.  I am going to donate these things to a museum as they should be.  It's a shame that some has been taken to only be put in a closet.  Pisses me off...  Sorry to vent here...

Dave..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Yes when I get it all in, it will be gone so others can see the history. It does piss me off that some of the very good things are gone, I saved what I could. I can't change what was lost.

No sense for me to keep, yes memories form my youth finding. It is history and when I can find the place that is willing to come look and see where it was all found, it will be gone...With a smile on my face....... and with my Dads"s wishes.

Dave...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like Ohio stuff?

That black with blue lines looks like Upper Mercer flint. Usually sourced north east of Columbus.

Consider schools, kids, clubs, selling to collectors, etc.. before museums. They only want the best of the best and then most of it ends up in a basement. If you really want his stuff seen and appreciated there are better routes to go.

Edited by Dave514
  • Like 1

Man, that's really cool. I don't live too far from Dade Battlefield from the Seminole War. Obviously, these artifacts are much older than any that may be found locally to me. I think there is a shell mound on Hontoon Island that is from the Timucuan Indians.

Never had the opportunity to go looking for artifacts, but I bet it is a lot of fun pulling an arrowhead out of a clod of dirt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dave514 said:

Looks like Ohio stuff?

That black with blue lines looks like Upper Mercer flint. Usually sourced north east of Columbus.

Consider schools, kids, clubs, selling to collectors, etc.. before museums. They only want the best of the best and then most of it ends up in a basement. If you really want his stuff seen and appreciated there are better routes to go.

Yes, correct. Northern Ohio. Up by Lake Erie Just east of the Vermilion River.

Dave

• Like 2

It doesn't really work that way, "tribes" , until you talk about pieces from the last 500 years when we have recorded who was where with what. Prior to and including that time we mostly just list things by period. Which is based on archaeological record of similar things/types found at relative depths and in particular regions.

For example:

projectile_points.gif

38 minutes ago, Dave514 said:

It doesn't really work that way, "tribes" , until you talk about pieces from the last 500 years when we have recorded who was where with what. Prior to and including that time we mostly just list things by period. Which is based on archaeological record of similar things/types found at relative depths and in particular regions.

For example:

projectile_points.gif

Thanks, I guess I have a lot to learn along the way.  Interesting, again thanks.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Found

On 11/2/2019 at 10:42 PM, Dave514 said:

I found a place here in Ohio who auctions prehistoric flint and stone artifacts.  Premiere Auctions in Ashland.  I will look into this in the New Year.  As I am getting of that age I need to do something with some of the stuff I have.  I don't want to see it gone in the trash or to a cheap garage sale when I pass.  Time for me to start thinking as I get up in years.

Oh........ I plan on being around for many years to come, I don't have one foot in the grave just yet but I do want to plan a little.

Dave...

• Like 1