IndyCar adding windscreens to cars in 2020

SC Tiger

Looks like Indycar has decided to add a windscreen to their cars for 2020.  Supposedly the thing is strong as hell and will protect the driver from flying debris.  It's similar to the F1 halo.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/drivers-say-indycars-new-aeroscreen-safety-device-is-ready-to-race

Some people are complaining about how it makes the car look.  IMO that takes a backseat to safety and in a year or two it will just look like part of the car.

I think this is it:

indy3.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

It's a bit goofy looking but if it works, it works.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OwlsNest465 said:

Not likely with all the increased frontal area. 

Kinda conflicted on this, making the cars as safe as possible is a good idea, but part of me also says things are just getting silly.  

Ever see some of the strange front ends that the F1 cars ran a few years ago:

f1nose06.jpg

f1-japanese-gp-2014-jean-eric-vergne-scu

Honestly, I'd be a bit nervous with one of these behind me.

16 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

Looks stupid. 

Are they having an issue with drivers getting hit with debris, or is this just in the name of safety?

racing isn’t safe. 

They had a driver killed in 2011 (Former Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon) and another one killed by flying debris (Justin Wilson) in 2015.  F1 also lost a couple of drivers to head injuries, which is why they have the Halo now.

R%C3%A4ikk%C3%B6nen_Ferrari_SF71H_Testin

If the sport can be made safer, why not do it?  All motorsports make improvements in the name of safety.  NASCAR redesigned the entire car around it.

As the tech is developed further it will be better, stronger, better integrated into the design, and better looking.

4 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

They had a driver killed in 2011 (Former Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon) and another one killed by flying debris (Justin Wilson) in 2015.  F1 also lost a couple of drivers to head injuries, which is why they have the Halo now.

R%C3%A4ikk%C3%B6nen_Ferrari_SF71H_Testin

If the sport can be made safer, why not do it?  All motorsports make improvements in the name of safety.  NASCAR redesigned the entire car around it.

As the tech is developed further it will be better, stronger, better integrated into the design, and better looking.

Racing isn’t safe. The car of tomorrow also drove people away from NASCAR. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AK_Stick said:

Racing isn’t safe. The car of tomorrow also drove people away from NASCAR. 

It never will be.  But you do what you can.

The CoT was a disaster but it wasn't the safety improvements.  It was the fact that they all looked alike, looked nothing like a street car, and were designed to eliminate the "aero push" - which they actually made worse.  They could have had the safety improvements without that (or at least most of them).  Plus the biggest safety improvement Nascar has made has been the "Soft Wall" tech, followed by the HANS device being mandatory.

The only people who don't like - or at least understand - the safety upgrades are the ones who watch for the wrecks.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, OwlsNest465 said:

Not likely with all the increased frontal area. 

Kinda conflicted on this, making the cars as safe as possible is a good idea, but part of me also says things are just getting silly.  

I suspect that as it gets developed it will be better.  But they had to get something workable finished in time to be able to deliver them for next year.  

There was a picture of another one in the article that looked a lot better:

indy1.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

This may have been the original prototype.  If they can get it more like this, they will be better off.

Drivers are also saying they can hear inside the cockpit a lot better now.

ETA - per an article on Indycar.com it appears the windscreen will look more like the one above and below:

10-02-Cavin-Main.jpg?h=564&la=en&w=940&v

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/10/10-02-Cavin-Aeroscreen

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 2

I suspect that as it gets developed it will be better.  But they had to get something workable finished in time to be able to deliver them for next year.  
There was a picture of another one in the article that looked a lot better:
indy1.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
This may have been the original prototype.  If they can get it more like this, they will be better off.
Drivers are also saying they can hear inside the cockpit a lot better now.
ETA - per an article on Indycar.com it appears the windscreen will look more like the one above and below:
10-02-Cavin-Main.jpg?h=564&la=en&w=940&vs=1&d=20191002T154658Z
https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/10/10-02-Cavin-Aeroscreen

No doubt they will make it as slippery as possible within the rules.

That does look a lot better to my non-aerodynamicist eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk