Old Time Inventions

Mrs Glockrunner

5 hours ago, Mrs Glockrunner said:

Brings back memories of my childhood.

I had been interested in electronics from a very early age.  I got into Ham Radio and built my own transmitters and receivers while in grade school.

I was playing at the home of one of my school  friends whose father was a Chiropractor.  We were playing in the basement storage room when the father put his outdate equipment from his practice.

Being interested in electrical things and this pile of electrical hardware, I took the front panel off many of the pieces.

What I found was so disturbing to me.  Many of these panels had a multitude of switches buttons meters and rheostats that were interconnected and not connected to the electrodes that went to the patient.  They were all show and non-functional.

Others were RF transmitters used for Diathermy.  They produced localized heating by exposure to radio frequency electric fields from RF generators capable of power to cause harm.

What I saw was basically a collection of hardware whose purpose was to fool the patient into thinking something was happening, when it actually wasn't.  Other machines were downright dangerous to both the operator and patient from the standpoint of a lack of electrical grounding and very high AC and RF power capability.

• Sad 1