Heard an interesting speaker yesterday at church

SC Tiger

Had the pleasure of hearing Brenda Crim speak at church yesterday.  She runs Alaskan Missions, who does missionary work in - you guessed it - Alaska.

She is doing some great things up there.  Helping out with the Salmon Scramble, the Iditarod, and other events.  Basically her organization has become indispensable to these evens (her words - perhaps a bit overstated).  The philosophy is "fill a need, break down barriers, share the gospel."  They give out thinks like hot dogs and drinks at the Salmon Scramble (BTW a hot dog in Alaska is around $7 she says - I assume this varies by location).

But the cool part is she is also a hunter up there.  She's killed ten bears I believe - including Grizzly.  She says when she got there she had a little .38 she carried for protection - she's from Texas - and a Texas A&M grad. (btw I live about 10 miles from Clemson and Death Valley where Clemson beat A&M the day before).  She gets to Alaska and they tell her she needs something bigger.  So she gets a .44 mag.  I believe when she decided to hunt Grizzly she was then told (all of this by people up there who would know) she needed something even bigger - so she got either a .454 or a .500 S&W (not sure she ever said which, or if I have the time frame right).  Said on the .44 she shoots about a 300 grain bullet (not sure of the profile but most likely a hardcast).

I did tell her the story about the guy who killed a Grizzly with a 9mm.  Reaction was basically "glad it worked out for him, but I ain't tryin' it!"

The kids were absolutely mesmorized by her talk.  She was asked if she ever takes children on bear hunts.  She said "only if I need bait,"  

I'm posting this here instead of the RI forum because the interesting part to most people on this forum will be the bear hunting stuff.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Rellik said:

We are to be in this world, but not of it.  She's great.  Lots of problems up there with alcohol and stuff with the natives.  

She killed Ten Bears!  Jose Wales ain't gonna like that!  

You know - I couldn't place the exact movie right away, but I did think of that when she said she killed ten bears.

Ten Bears was a good guy.  He chose life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Had the pleasure of hearing Brenda Crim speak at church yesterday.  She runs Alaskan Missions, who does missionary work in - you guessed it - Alaska.

She is doing some great things up there.  Helping out with the Salmon Scramble, the Iditarod, and other events.  Basically her organization has become indispensable to these evens (her words - perhaps a bit overstated).  The philosophy is "fill a need, break down barriers, share the gospel."  They give out thinks like hot dogs and drinks at the Salmon Scramble (BTW a hot dog in Alaska is around $7 she says - I assume this varies by location).

But the cool part is she is also a hunter up there.  She's killed ten bears I believe - including Grizzly.  She says when she got there she had a little .38 she carried for protection - she's from Texas - and a Texas A&M grad. (btw I live about 10 miles from Clemson and Death Valley where Clemson beat A&M the day before).  She gets to Alaska and they tell her she needs something bigger.  So she gets a .44 mag.  I believe when she decided to hunt Grizzly she was then told (all of this by people up there who would know) she needed something even bigger - so she got either a .454 or a .500 S&W (not sure she ever said which, or if I have the time frame right).  Said on the .44 she shoots about a 300 grain bullet (not sure of the profile but most likely a hardcast).

I did tell her the story about the guy who killed a Grizzly with a 9mm.  Reaction was basically "glad it worked out for him, but I ain't tryin' it!"

The kids were absolutely mesmorized by her talk.  She was asked if she ever takes children on bear hunts.  She said "only if I need bait,"  

I'm posting this here instead of the RI forum because the interesting part to most people on this forum will be the bear hunting stuff.

Interesting, I looked her up and here is a site about her missions.

http://www.akmissions.com/brenda-crim.html

• Like 2