french cleats

gwalchmai

I'm exploring options for my new garage. Anyone install a french cleat wall? Worth the trouble? I was thinking of pegboard but that can look kinda messy after a while.

I have a few months to go and would appreciate hearing your experiences.

I was in the local Farm Store and bought some feed bins to make a toy box for my dog.  The bins come in many sizes from small to very very large.  The bins are made to hang on a dowel that is mounted against the wall, or a welded pipe attached at both ends to the wall.

I made him a frame with two longitude dowels and two end plates that are the feet.  Stained and finished the wood and it looks really good.  They are a very versatile method of storage against a wall.

I really like them for storage and the convenience of just lifting them off the dowel to paw through them if you need to.  I would go this route before the French cleat.  The cleat seems to have little inherent strength to it and it looks rough compared to a smoother means of attaching to the wall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KWalrad said:

How much weight do you envision being supported?

Hanging rakes and bicycles? Dead deer (or neighbors) for rendering?

Airhoses, random hand tools?

Mostly tools and shelves. Cleats will hold a good bit of weight if they're supported by studs. A lot of cabinets are held up by (hopefully multiple) cleats.

I use one for hanging a 6' ladder and used another for a 75 lb scroll saw which I got too old to lift comfortably. ;) It used two rows of cleats.