Anyone Able to get Anything Planted This Spring?

DrB

Here on the North Coast of Ohio we have had one warm day then a week of rain and cold weather over and over.  10 deg. below what it should be.

Usually I have peas up, pepper and tomato plants in by now.  Also have been eating fresh lettuce and have sweetcorn sprouting.  Have not even been able to get in to the garden to till up the ground.

Same for the farm......  This sucks big time....

Dave...

• Like 2

We’re behind here, too, but from what I understand, you guys have had it a lot harder than we have.

Nonetheless, I likely won’t get any gardening in until late next week.  And, although we’ve got corn planted, beans aren’t even a second though at this time.  Way too cold and wet.

5 minutes ago, jame said:

We’re behind here, too, but from what I understand, you guys have had it a lot harder than we have.

Nonetheless, I likely won’t get any gardening in until late next week.  And, although we’ve got corn planted, beans aren’t even a second though at this time.  Way too cold and wet.

More rain and cold here again for this weekend. I usually grow various varieties of onions to sell but that not happening this year.  Most years the plants are out mid April and are growing fine this time of year.

Dave..

Yeah, I’m a little frustrated, too.  I think I’m just going to shoot for a few mounds of watermelon, and maybe a couple a potted grape tomato plants.

It’s a cop out, but it’s something........

No plot this year. it's 90+ and the love bugs are here. Already too late. My bud in Alaska is getting his land ready for pumpkins, cukes, tomatoes, and cabbages. They grow some ridiculous stuff up there. His wife cans enough tomatoes and squash to last for two years, every year. And pickles? Peppers? Just obscene. Never in a million years would I have believed the produce that comes out of South Central Alaska, if I hadn't seen it myself.

Here in Florida, you gotta be right on top of the bugs and squirrels.  Maybe next year, I'll do cukes, tomatoes, red potatoes, and cowhorn peppers. I kinda miss toiling in the earth.

• Sad 1

I'm in lower MI.  Nothing but rain and cold.  At least I have a hoop house to plant in - slightly raised beds down the sides, and straw bale gardening down the middle.  There are maters and peppers in the ground and the bales, but no sweet potatoes (they are taking forever to grow slips in the house).  Late last fall, I sowed some leftover seeds in the raised beds to see if they would come up in the spring... and some did- the arugula, leeks, cauliflower (?!).  So I'm eating arugula today.  I'm eating the radishes I planted 6 weeks ago.  They are small, though.  We had asparagus yesterday (I'll make soup from the leftovers today), and dandelion fritters (because deep-fried, that's why).  The local asparagus growers don't have enough up in the fields to sell.  Ordinarily by now I'd be sick of it, but it needs to get a bit warmer for a decent crop!

I've been feeding the meat rabbits all the turnip thinnings (way more of those came up than I thought would, even tho' the seed was old).  The beets are up but not growing fast at all - they've been an inch high for the last couple weeks.  Same with the carrots.  The broccoli is doing okay.  There is one rhubarb plant in the hoop house because why not? And it is definitely farther along than the rhubarb patch outside, although there is enough out there for a rhubarb crumble - which I might get around to this weekend.  I topped off one quarter of the raised beds with rabbit poop and since I needed someplace to put the day-lilies until we get the front porch built and I can plant them around it, they ended up in the rabbit poo, where they are doing fantastic (knee-high).  We eat the flowers stuffed with cream cheese, battered, and deep-fried like crab rangoon.  I'm thinking I should actually get some crab meat this year...

That leaves half the hoop house waiting for the cukes and beans to come up.  I have more pepper and mater plants, that are supposed to go in the outdoor bales, but it has been too cold and wet for me to plant them.  They might be okay if I could figure out a way to cover them in plastic sheet after planting- but it keeps blowing off, so I need a better system for that.

I haven't been able to plant my corn at all.  Nor the peas, because the ground in the regular garden is still too wet.  When we built the new house last summer, we knew it was going to change the drainage pattern, but we didn't expect to get rain nearly every day for weeks during planting season.  I expect the taters in the outdoor bales have rotted and will need to be re-planted.  I should have tried growing some in the hoop house, but I thought it would be too warm.  Ha.  I do have 24 tires in my tire garden.  About 20 of them are planted.  Three are waiting for me to fill with rabbit poo when I clean under the cages this weekend.  The chives are up, and dill, mustard, lavender, 2 of the 3 lettuces I planted are doing okay (Jericho Lettuce is the best, every year).  The cabbages mostly came up and immediately got eaten.  Damn wild rabbits.  Or maybe it was my stupid chickens.  I covered everything back up with a giant row cover to stop them.  The parsnips are up.  I've never tried to grow those in tires before, only in the hoop house - where they haven't come up this year.  There are about 5 tires that got planted but nothing came up, so I'm debating replanting today, or just using them for something that has to wait until it is a little warmer.  Maybe cukes.  I only can relish every other year, and just make enough to last two years... but this is a relish and pickle canning year, so more is probably better... 

It's actually NOT supposed to rain today, and the high should be 50 F... maybe I'll get something done...

Edited by Mrs.Cicero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No plot this year. it's 90+ and the love bugs are here. Already too late. My bud in Alaska is getting his land ready for pumpkins, cukes, tomatoes, and cabbages. They grow some ridiculous stuff up there. His wife cans enough tomatoes and squash to last for two years, every year. And pickles? Peppers? Just obscene. Never in a million years would I have believed the produce that comes out of South Central Alaska, if I hadn't seen it myself.
Here in Florida, you gotta be right on top of the bugs and squirrels.  Maybe next year, I'll do cukes, tomatoes, red potatoes, and cowhorn peppers. I kinda miss toiling in the earth.
Gotta love all that sun during the summer in AK. My aunt is Anchorage and her garden is insane. We have our garden planted in VA and is going great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jameson75 said:

Gotta love all that sun during the summer in AK. My aunt is Anchorage and her garden is insane. We have our garden planted in VA and is going great.

Glad things go well for you folks...  Rains here again this Saturday night....

And welcome to you here......  Dave...

• Like 2

Northern California here.  I used store bought green house plants to start my tomatoes and zucchini.  The store bought tomatoes plants are farther along than the ones I grew from seed.  But, my biggest zucchini plant is one I grew from seed.

Two of the the store bought tomato plants actually have small green tomatoes on them.

Most of our days have had weather close to the seasonal averages.  A lot of mid 70 days and not too many really hot days. 

We had a very rainy year here and I am imagining that it won't be a real hot summer, but we'll see. 

The weird one is I have bunch of dwarf fig trees that had last season's immature fruit just sitting on them all winter.  I figured they'd rot in place and would fall off.  Instead, they are now greening and getting plump. 

• Like 1

I only buy started plants from the store.  Forget the seed-starting-thing;  I don't care that much.  Peppers and tomahtos.

Only,  I've been doing the upside-down thing.  Drill a large hole in the bottom of a hanging pot,  stuff the roots up in there, and fill it with dirt.  They grow much bigger plants, with no fuss.  Put flowers on top, if you want.

I do have some Reaper seeds I should try to start.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I only buy started plants from the store.  Forget the seed-starting-thing;  I don't care that much.  Peppers and tomahtos.

Only,  I've been doing the upside-down thing.  Drill a large hole in the bottom of a hanging pot,  stuff the roots up in there, and fill it with dirt.  They grow much bigger plants, with no fuss.  Put flowers on top, if you want.

I do have some Reaper seeds I should try to start.

interesting concept! how drunk were you the first time you did this??? :poke:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

It's raining again.  Sigh.

Yep... Here also. Rain and temp in the 40's.  Weather report says same for pretty much all next week.

Dave..

• Sad 2

East central Kansas here. Well after having 12 inches of rain between April 30th and May 9th it has finally dried up enough to till the garden for the third time. I had just tilled it on the 29th then the deluge started. Going to be planting squash,green beans,tomatoes,peppers,cantaloupe,watermelon,and okra later today and tomorrow. We have been eating fresh asparagus for about a month now.

• Like 1

I am anticipating food prices to soar due to the weather conditions.  Was home in upstate NY a week ago and it'e been too wet for the farmers to get in the fields.  Seems like it's the same all across the bread basket.  Add on top of that the flooding in the Midwest were a bunch of beef cattle were lost and the price of meat will also be at a premium before long.  I really feel for the farmers, but it's going to impact everyone in the country.

It is about to rain all weekend and beyond.  Jury duty on a rainy Monday.  I hate going there just because I am not a criminal and I voted.  They make you fill out your details on the back.  When you are active law enforcement, they like to keep you all day, then dismiss you.  I suspect it is going to be the same in a retired capacity.  I may as well pop off if they ask stupid questions, as they have always wasted my time for years now.  The defense automatically scratches you off anyway.  I don't think anyone but the attorney's read those things anyway.  The last time I went down there in a retired capacity, the clerk asked if I needed a work excuse.  I replied, "Yes, make it out to my wife please."

Edited by Moshe

Well we had 2 days of nice weather.  Still water standing here and guess what????  Cooling off and rain coming in.... 05/17......

I bought 12 of the large tomato cages so if anything I can get a few plants in if it dries off...  Usually I have over 100 plants set out in the garden...... 

This Sucks.......

Dave..

22 hours ago, DrB said:

What are these?  Please educate me if you will..  Thanks..

Dave..

Yuzu is a citrus that originated in China/Tibet with the flavor of lemon/lime/grapefruit/mandarin.  It unusually cold hardy for a citrus, growing into USDA Zone 8.  It is used mostly for the zest and juice of the fruit for things like ponzu, drinks, etc.

2560px-Yuzu_oranges_(6459456959).thumb.jpg.04e166a5ca6f1dc25a4f6b75807a8c24.jpg