The SPR: AR Guerrilla Sniper Rifle

pipedreams

sniper_team_2_by_thetomi-d32w49t.jpg.5c2771a4f7ae2309ed6b0eb79d10cc7f.jpg

"Making the standard AR-15 into something more than an intermediate carbine is an old concept, going back to nearly the genesis of the weapon itself. It really hit its stride in the early 2000s with the Special Purpose Rifle (SPR) concept- a Small Unit level Designated Marksman’s rifle. It’s advantages are numerous; light weight, accurate and fast. While the original Mk 12 is a bit dated now, the concept of having a rifle that shares magazines and ammo with the other weapons on the team remains tactically sound and one that is particularly appealing to potential guerrilla forces, working with limited manpower and supplies. Among those of us that actually understand small unit warfare, the role of the sniper- remaining in the shadows and timing his attack when and where its most favorable to him- is the largest force multiplier. His weapon is just as important. The AR, when done right, can serve this role well."

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2019/01/the-spr-the-ar-guerrilla-sniper-rifle/

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:48 AM, Moshe said:

I have the same ghillie, it makes my GSD bark at me, when I wear it.  I think my 6.5 Creed is a lot longer, but it is made to reach out and touch a lot longer. 

I agree the 6.5 Creedmoor is a far better cartridge than the 5.56 and why limit yourself to the AR15 platform when the AR10 platform is scarcely any larger or heavier? But if it had to be strictly an AR15 I'd prefer the 6.5 Grendel.

• Like 1

It is the proprietary Savage LR Hunter (they were afraid to call it sniper), that has been tricked out to my specifications.  Different grips, different trigger, highland kryptec added.  The latest Burris scope, so I don't need a laser range finder or a second set of eyes.  I have a bipod for uneven terrain.  Like I said tricked out.  I will probably put a can on it eventually.  Ironically it takes 20 round .308 Magpull mags.

8 hours ago, Moshe said:

It is the proprietary Savage LR Hunter (they were afraid to call it sniper), that has been tricked out to my specifications.  Different grips, different trigger, highland kryptec added.  The latest Burris scope, so I don't need a laser range finder or a second set of eyes.  I have a bipod for uneven terrain.  Like I said tricked out.  I will probably put a can on it eventually.  Ironically it takes 20 round .308 Magpull mags.

If you put a suppressor on it, would you reload your ammo to subsonic levels, or does a suppressor help with supersonic loads? I have very little experience with suppressors, and have only shot them with subsonic ammo.

2 hours ago, Borg warner said:

If you put a suppressor on it, would you reload your ammo to subsonic levels, or does a suppressor help with supersonic loads? I have very little experience with suppressors, and have only shot them with subsonic ammo.

You still get the supersonic "CRACK" but you don't get any muzzle blast when shooting supersonic, so to the shooter it's quite a bit quieter, and I've been told that people downrange have a much harder time determining where the shot originated.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 2:58 PM, Borg warner said:

I agree the 6.5 Creedmoor is a far better cartridge than the 5.56 and why limit yourself to the AR15 platform when the AR10 platform is scarcely any larger or heavier? But if it had to be strictly an AR15 I'd prefer the 6.5 Grendel.

I don’t know, side by side they’re quite a bit heavier. 

I have a bit of an addiction to MK-12 Mod 0 clone rifles. I think I own 4 (6.8, 5.56, 300, and 7.62x51)

The 7.62 is considerably heavier, and slower on follow up shots than any of the others. 

3 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

I don’t know, side by side they’re quite a bit heavier. 

I have a bit of an addiction to MK-12 Mod 0 clone rifles. I think I own 4 (6.8, 5.56, 300, and 7.62x51)

The 7.62 is considerably heavier, and slower on follow up shots than any of the others. 

Which is why I took some of the weight off, by have a Luth AR stock put on, as the original stock added a lot of weight.  I like the 6.5 Creedmoor because wind really isn't an issue, and it shoots longer and flatter than the .308 and still delivers on the other end.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Moshe said:

Which is why I took some of the weight off, by have a Luth AR stock put on, as the original stock added a lot of weight.  I like the 6.5 Creedmoor because wind really isn't an issue, and it shoots longer and flatter than the .308 and still delivers on the other end.

The only problem is the issues you’re combating (recoil, and overall weight) can’t really be effectively negated. Even with a good brake, the 308 and 6.5 are demonstrably slower than my 6.8 and 300 BO. 

6.5 Creedmoor will always kick more than the comparable 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 300 BO, 224 V, 5.56. And, like 308, doesn’t add much.

There are some theoretical advantages to a caliber like 6.5. But the truth is they’re not born out in reality. 

17 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

You still get the supersonic "CRACK" but you don't get any muzzle blast when shooting supersonic, so to the shooter it's quite a bit quieter, and I've been told that people downrange have a much harder time determining where the shot originated.

Thanks.  That's a good explanation and it makes sense.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

The only problem is the issues you’re combating (recoil, and overall weight) can’t really be effectively negated. Even with a good brake, the 308 and 6.5 are demonstrably slower than my 6.8 and 300 BO. 

6.5 Creedmoor will always kick more than the comparable 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 300 BO, 224 V, 5.56. And, like 308, doesn’t add much.

There are some theoretical advantages to a caliber like 6.5. But the truth is they’re not born out in reality. 

The .300 BO you could almost fire that like the .223, virtually no recoil, and no range.  You get about 100-200 yards from that.  It may as well be an AK-47.  The .308 is still sonic unlike the .45 ACP.  6.8 PC still doesn't have the range of .308 or 6.5 CM, and the 6.5 shoots flat enough that wind doesn't play has much factor as the other rounds.

17 hours ago, Moshe said:

The .300 BO you could almost fire that like the .223, virtually no recoil, and no range.  You get about 100-200 yards from that.  It may as well be an AK-47.  The .308 is still sonic unlike the .45 ACP.  6.8 PC still doesn't have the range of .308 or 6.5 CM, and the 6.5 shoots flat enough that wind doesn't play has much factor as the other rounds.

I can (and have) shoot my BO and 6.8 to 500 yards. I don’t know how much more range you really need?