Steve1989MREInfo

crockett

The best Beef I ever tasted was when I was on the Navy ship and they served canned Beef (steam cooked in the can during processing).  I loved that stuff!

The cans were either from WWII or the Korean war, I don't remember now, just that I have fond memories of eating it.

We used to have fresh Steaks and Roasts when we were in port.  They were almost as good.  On weekends we had "Open Galley" where we could simply fix anything we liked to eat that was in our "stores".  Butter fried Steaks were popular along with a cake.  Not a piece, but the whole cake that was delivered from the civilian bakery about 9 inchers.  We were a small ship with a small crew.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sgt 127 said:

I figure one day I’m gonna read his obituary. 

There are things in that food the CDC hasn’t seen in 80 years. 

Until then, though, I love his videos. Eating Civil War Hardtack was cool.  

My father used to buy what he called Hardtack for us kids, we liked it.  We would Butter the hell out of it.  It was good.

• Like 2

Brings back a lot of memories. Like the ham slices on the crackers. The coffee was stronger than regular and the candy and cigs were trade material.

I use to get all the non filtered cigs, no one liked them but me.

Some C-rats I liked, some I hated and some I could tolerate.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Brings back a lot of memories. Like the ham slices on the crackers. The coffee was stronger than regular and the candy and cigs were trade material.

I use to get all the non filtered cigs, no one liked them but me.

Some C-rats I liked, some I hated and some I could tolerate.

Just the other day I filled the car up with gas and while looking at the Cigarettes for $10 a pack, I told the clerk that when I was in the Navy they sold me Cigarettes for 10 cents a pack.  I don't think they believed me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Sgt 127 said:

I figure one day I’m gonna read his obituary. 

There are things in that food the CDC hasn’t seen in 80 years. 

Until then, though, I love his videos. Eating Civil War Hardtack was cool.  

He lives an hour from me. I'd love to hang out with him and talk about good old times. He went to the ER a couple times after being sick from bad rations. Back in the day he didn't even have health insurance. By now he has made well over half a million with his YouTube channel. With proper marketing you get about $7k AD revenue from 1 million video views. He has 116 million views. You do the math.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

The best Beef I ever tasted was when I was on the Navy ship and they served canned Beef (steam cooked in the can during processing).  I loved that stuff!

The cans were either from WWII or the Korean war, I don't remember now, just that I have fond memories of eating it.

We used to have fresh Steaks and Roasts when we were in port.  They were almost as good.  On weekends we had "Open Galley" where we could simply fix anything we liked to eat that was in our "stores".  Butter fried Steaks were popular along with a cake.  Not a piece, but the whole cake that was delivered from the civilian bakery about 9 inchers.  We were a small ship with a small crew.

I bet the crew wasn't as small at the end of your tour.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

I bet the crew wasn't as small at the end of your tour.

Full complement was about 60.  We never had more than about 50.  But it was good duty as long as it was peacetime.  It was an Ocean going Minesweeper (MSO).  The expendable type.  Few wanted the duty.  The Navy called it "Arduous Sea Duty", and NO ONE could make you stay on them for more than two years.  I liked it.

Side note:  We were the first of our class.  The ship was called the USS Aggressive.  The President thought the name was to "aggressive" so all the other ships after were called silly names like "Agile", Adroit, etc.  He thought we might give people the impression that we were "mean".

• Like 1