Family food traditions

TXUSMC

When we were growing up near Atlanta in the '60s, our family became big fans of Krystal Hamburgers. Folks up north have White Castles... virtually the same. Anyway, our love for those little square burgers has never faded. Now getting long in the tooth, my siblings and I have a reunion in Atlanta every summer. Saturday lunch is always reserved for a Krystals' run. Periodically, if one of us travels by vehicle in the southeast, we hit Krystal and text a picture of the little boxes to our other jealous family members.

Of course, we also dine at some better places for dinner (Atlanta Fish Market is a favorite), but Krystals for lunch on Saturday is automatic ?.

Anybody else have a similar "tradition"?

• Like 1

My best friend moved up to Alaska about 15 years ago. It's become a tradition that the first place we go when we leave the Anchorage Airport is Moose's Tooth, a brewery and gourmet pizza joint. Can't wait to get back up there in late 2019. Lots to miss in Alaska.

1 minute ago, jmohme said:

White Castle is some grade A nasty ****!

I was traveling and in a hurry and starving, so I went into a convenient White Castle, for the first time ever, not long ago.  I had heard about them forever, and even saw the movie!  I got a six-pack.

I unwrapped one and barely gagged passed the stench.  I took a bite.  That was it.  Done.

I brought them home and tried to feed one to the cats.  No go.  Sniff, done.

I gave one to the dog.  She delicately and slowly ate it ,  but kept looking at me like she knew it was a trick.  She wouldn't eat another.

I gave the crab a nub.  Even he didn't touch it.  And they eat rotted sun-roasted fish heads.

On the flip-side,  they were probably the best french fries I ever had in my life.

• Like 1

Well... to each his own :sunnies: ... I have had the frozen White Castles, purchased at the grocery store. Not as good as the Krystals hot off the griddle.

Thanksgiving also brings up some food preferences in our family. We have arguments about cranberry sauce (jellied vs. whole berry), dressing (sage vs. cornbread), how to cook the dressing (inside the bird vs. separately).

We also argue about barbeque. The Texas wing of the family insists that beef brisket is king, while the North Carolina wing swears by pulled pork. Nothing wrong with pulled pork, mind you, but it's not in the same class as brisket smoked over pecan wood. And, those North Carolina folks will spoil a good pulled pork sammich by dumping coleslaw on top of the pork. Somehow, they never got the memo that coleslaw is a side dish, and not a condiment.

Nothing like food to bring a family together!

• Haha 1

Krystyuls are an acquired taste, I think. Long ago, in the 60s, when giants walked the earth, I was introduced to them. They were great. They had a lot of flavor and their production standards were pretty high. Nowdays not so much. My advice - always order your Krystyuls "off the grill". That means fresh off the grill with no mustard or pickles, just onions as God intended. Add that yourself if you want it. Otherwise you'll get stale-bun crap that's been sitting for who-knows-how-long.

And their fried pies are still the bomb. ?