McCulloch Karts. We had two of them.

We had one with the twin engines, and another with a single. The single would run 45 mph on the beach. The twin would hit over 70 mph and was the previous year champion from Moon Island race track in Hoquiam, Wa. My dad bought them from the McCulloch dealer in Aberdeen. Sadly we lost both of them in a fire when I was in 7th or 8th grade. The building they were in burned. Should have seen the shower of blue sparks from the magnesium burning when the water hit it. They had magnesium wheels and lots of magnesium in the engines.

5 hours ago, blueiron said:

Richer than we. No chainsaws at my house. 

Dad had to have them. Can't saw down those big ass trees without them. When we lived in company housing in the logging camp, he stored them under our beds.

Edited by Walt Longmire

5 hours ago, jmohme said:

I rode one of those once.

The throttle stuck wide open on it. I thought I was gunna die!!! Got it shut down, fixed the throttle and gave it another go!

My younger brother went blasting past us. Not sure if he panicked or it stuck. He did a 180 and ran up on a truck that was headed off the beach on the approach, At the last second he spun it around and ran under the back of the truck backwards. 

My dad had one with a single Mac 101 and he put a car starter on a dolly with a car battery with a v-belt to the pulley on the engine. Had a spring loaded toggle switch and a school bus STOP light under the handle. Used the starter for starting and the stop light to signal the driver to come back to the staging area. My brother had one with twin 101s damn fast kart. I had a Mac 49er on it. Not fast but lots of fun for me. tom.

ETA dad's was equipped with Maverick ignition.

Edited by deputy tom
more details...
  • Like 1