Major Powder Change??

FullClip

I've been using Unique for most of my pistol loads since I started reloading in the late 80's.   Rifle stuff, was mostly Reloader 15 for the past 20 years.   But I was (am) an idjit and let my stash get a little low this year.  I looked around online and couldn't find much (didn't look real hard I'll admit).   But ordered 8 pounds each of Winchester 231 and Winchester 748 to get me through a long long time.  Kind of a major change for me, even though the powders are pretty close, and should, in theory, meter better.  Good thing is, the price I paid was pretty much the same as I paid a couple years ago. 

Anybody else had to change brands or types of powder or other components due to the current shortages??

For Unique I changed to Power Pistol,  loads everything in the pistol area to include mid-range magnums.  Meters better.  

Others will say BE-86.  Ok too.

I've got new selections since stocking up during bho.  To include Green Dot. Ba c k to RedDot, and extra 231.  Might have to consult 70's era data on the Green Dot.  

• Like 1

Hi Clip.  did you get the ban hammer at the other site?

Anyway I have a mix of powders, but I do like Unique.  I just loaded several hundred rounds of 9mm with it. 

I have been trying different powders including IMR Green, Blue and Red.   I also have a few pounds of 296 for my magnum stuff.  I like 2400, but have not been able to find it. 

Edited by norton
spelling
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, norton said:

Hi Clip.  did you get the ban hammer at the other site?

Anyway I have a mix of powders, but I do like Unique.  I just loaded several hundred rounds of 9mm with it. 

I have been trying different powders including IMR Green, Blue and Red.   I also have a few pounds of 296 for my magnum stuff.  I like 2400, but have not been able to find it. 

Yup, I'm about 1/3 of the way through a month long "time out".   Still not sure what I did to tick them off, but there is one mod that has been after me for years for some reason.

I've got a bunch of different powders for my magnum pistol and rifle loads, but I actually don't load them much anymore.  I'd say now the 9mm, 38 special, 44 special and 45ACP are 95% of what I load now.  Luckily,  I've got a bunch of home cast bullets for them and a lot of lead to make more.  I did stock up pretty good on primers a couple years ago, so I'm good for a long time and have a pretty good pile of ammo loaded up.   Reloading is just something to do on those cold winter days that are gonna' be hitting here soon. 

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 9:07 AM, FullClip said:

Yup, I'm about 1/3 of the way through a month long "time out".   Still not sure what I did to tick them off, but there is one mod that has been after me for years for some reason.

I've got a bunch of different powders for my magnum pistol and rifle loads, but I actually don't load them much anymore.  I'd say now the 9mm, 38 special, 44 special and 45ACP are 95% of what I load now.  Luckily,  I've got a bunch of home cast bullets for them and a lot of lead to make more.  I did stock up pretty good on primers a couple years ago, so I'm good for a long time and have a pretty good pile of ammo loaded up.   Reloading is just something to do on those cold winter days that are gonna' be hitting here soon. 

Don't let the man get you down.

Looking forward to your return. 

And yes I too load on those cold winter days.  When I'm not running the snow blower.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, norton said:

Don't let the man get you down.

Looking forward to your return. 

And yes I too load on those cold winter days.  When I'm not running the snow blower.

Ha-Ha.  I can get close to the house with the truck and back drag all about 10 feet with the Fisher.   The pain in the butt is the other 1/4 mile of plowing I have to do to get to paved road.   Only one that lives on this :"camp road" year around, so I gotta plow it, and deal with any fallen trees and such. 

Just got our first "flurry" a couple hours ago, but supposed to be in the 60s this weekend.  But got the wood stove going on low right now. 

• Like 1

Lot of people have been bad mouthing Midway and UPS lately, but Brown just dropped off my powder that I ordered on Friday.   Not too bad by my standards.  Me being used to the little one pound jugs, this is a big stash.

Now the question is, do I finish off all my Unique and RL15 before tapping these "kegs"???

KIMG1885.thumb.jpg.8624555f74630e2d86f25a7845238d8f.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have over 40 different powders and I'm well stocked ever since we had the shortage around 2015.

Always stock up well before elections arrive and when things are normal. Being a day trader helps: you buy the dips, when the prices are low due to low demand and high supply.

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.