Which 10/22??

Grabbrass

So, I don't have a 10/22. It's on my short list, but has been for years. It's practically like buying into a Lego set, so if you were starting fresh, how would you get started??

Base carbine, wood.

Base carbine, polymer.

LVT

Base takedown.

Heavy barrel takedown.

Takedown Lite.

Find a bare Ruger receiver (or a used 10/22 and strip it), build from parts

Put the money into a Kidd receiver, or barreled action

Put the money into a TacSol takedown receiver

Wildcard: build the MAC Charger with wrist brace rig  --  youtube com/watch?v=RoC8Q40NVRY 

Lotsa options. Money isn't really a problem - if I need more I just wait a little longer. The only rule is in the end, I feel like I got my money's worth.

I bought a run of the mill, no frills 10/22 for $180 a few years ago.

After that, I made the following mods:

M1 Stock

Trigger job from Brimstone (lowered the pull from around 7lbs to 3lbs)

Extended mag release

Tech Sights

Craploads of ammo

I really love this configuration and doubt I'll change anything on it.  

Edited by Wishoot
  • Like 3

I looked at the Ruger 10/22 and a Savage today at Cabellas.  I like the Ruger 10/22 Target, but of course they did not have one in stock and getting anyone to help was nearly impossible.

I also have looked into a couple wild cards I like, the CZ 455 Varmint Precision trainer($900 retail) and the Kriss Defiance AR style in Alpine white($799 retail).  All so different but all so cool.  Anyway I think my next purchase is going to be a 22 LR rifle, just need to figure out which one.  If the CZ was more in the $600 range I think that would be my top choice. 

I have two of them. One I’ve had for at least 25 years and is bone stock. Super accurate and reliable. I bought a new one about 3 years ago on a whim for about $169. This one is still in the box.

Both of mine are standard, baseline models with a wood stock. Hard to go wrong with the base model 10/22.

• Like 1

I bought a 10/22 tactical takedown for the threaded barrel. The manual cautions about using CCI Stingers because of the tight chamber and longer case length of the CCI's.  If I remember correct it has the same chamber as the target 10/22.  I always have used CCI Stingers for the woodchucks here on the farm.  Went and bought an American 10/22 bolt action, problem solved there...  Bought CCI Velocitors for the takedown.  I'll see how those do on the chucks.

Retiring my boyhood 22 to the safe.  I think.... perhaps not though, I may miss it.  Time will tell.

Dave..

I went overboard and stuffed a Feddersen barrel into a bronze Feddersen reciever and lashed it all to a slab of kevlar from Bell and Carlson.  Dropped the Hubble Jr. on it, Mueller Eraticator, and now I can do smiley faces, unhappy faces, missing faces, et cetera.:D

• 8 months later...

It just depends on what you want to use it for and how much you are willing to spend . I am happy with my 10/22 Deluxe , it shoots is over .5 at 50 yards and is pretty stock . I did put a Vaguartsen target hammer in it to lighten the trigger , great improvement .

I only have one 10/22. It is a LVT model and, this might be heresy, but I’ve left it completely stock. I has a 12x scope that I mounted and I use the combo from the bench. Truth be told, I got rather bored punching smallish (for me) holes in paper and now use it to shoot flies at 25-50 yards. 

If money is no concern, I’d recommend getting either a Kidd or Volq built the way you want it. But that’s coming from a non-tinkerer who knows his “building” limitations. 

For me the decision which 10/22 to buy was made easy. A friend referred me to somebody who wanted to sell a Ruger MkII and when I called him, he had already sold the pistol. But he had a 10/22 with some issues, it doubled sometimes and he had no magazine left. He wanted $50, I gave him $50, got some Volquartsen hammer and sear set on sale, as well as a magazine and this real American classic is in my possession since then, with a walnut stock and aluminium buttplate.

So, my advice is to look around and see what bargain you can find.

Ruger1022.jpg

• Like 1

After down-sizing a few years ago, I only have four 10/22s (five if you count the MRI .22WMR ~ which mimics the 10/22M), but none are in a stock-as-sold condition.

If there is a model offering that is exactly what you would build, it will likely be cheaper to just buy it. If there isn't, then start with a receiver and assemble your own. 

Good luck

Whichever one you end up with just be sure it’s a good one (maybe you’ve gotten one by now since this is reviving an old thread). 

Ive never had luck with semi-auto 22s as I’ve had two 10/22s and got rid of them both.