Future Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier named

Ricordo

:)

https://www.dailywire.com/news/trump-administration-honors-black-world-war-ii-hero-in-a-big-way

"The Trump administration is set to honor World War II hero Ship’s Cook Third Class Doris Miller during a Martin Luther King Jr. Day ceremony at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, by naming a future Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier after Miller.

The decision was made by Thomas B. Modly, who was appointed by President Donald Trump to Undersecretary of the Navy in 2017 and took over as Acting Secretary of the Navy last year after Trump fired Richard Spencer from the role in November...

Miller, who died in 1943, described firing the weapon, which he had not been trained to do, by saying, “It wasn’t hard. I just pulled the trigger and she worked fine. I had watched the others with these guns. I guess I fired her for about fifteen minutes. I think I got one of those Jap planes. They were diving pretty close to us.”

Doris-Miller-1.jpg?auto=format&fit=crop&

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ricordo said:

:)

https://www.dailywire.com/news/trump-administration-honors-black-world-war-ii-hero-in-a-big-way

"The Trump administration is set to honor World War II hero Ship’s Cook Third Class Doris Miller during a Martin Luther King Jr. Day ceremony at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, by naming a future Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier after Miller.

The decision was made by Thomas B. Modly, who was appointed by President Donald Trump to Undersecretary of the Navy in 2017 and took over as Acting Secretary of the Navy last year after Trump fired Richard Spencer from the role in November...

Miller, who died in 1943, described firing the weapon, which he had not been trained to do, by saying, “It wasn’t hard. I just pulled the trigger and she worked fine. I had watched the others with these guns. I guess I fired her for about fifteen minutes. I think I got one of those Jap planes. They were diving pretty close to us.”

Doris-Miller-1.jpg?auto=format&fit=crop&

His initiative, confidence, determination, self reliance, are traits that today's liberal society is calling offensive and threatening. 

I guess if you have none of these traits and encounter a person with them, you might feel insignificant.  Most  can be a better person, you just have to try!

• Like 1

The Navy has thrown out the tradition of naming ships. Once upon a time, the Navy was very traditional, but no longer and that's rather sad.

While SC/3 Miller deserves honors and accolades for his actions, I don't believe that CVN class ships should be named after Presidents, office holders, or individuals. They aren't even named after States of the Union. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blueiron said:

The Navy has thrown out the tradition of naming ships. Once upon a time, the Navy was very traditional, but no longer and that's rather sad.

While SC/3 Miller deserves honors and accolades for his actions, I don't believe that CVN class ships should be named after Presidents, office holders, or individuals. They aren't even named after States of the Union. 

Battleships were named after the Great States. I think some of th submarines are now named after the States. 

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_ship_naming_conventions

Note:  Under Minesweepers, my Minesweeper was considered to intimidating, therefore it's the only one named, USS AGRESSIVE. 

The powers that be at the time, thought that the names should be less "aggressive", and the rest of her class were named, USS Adroit,  USS Agile, USS Ability, and other pansy ass names like that.

I kind'a favor, USS Death, USS Destruction,  stuff like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Aggressive

Edited by janice6
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, blueiron said:

I had the same thought.  Normally these things are named after presidents and sometimes sec. nav. or sec def.

Convention would have stated that Miller should have had a destroyer named after him long ago.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Historian said:

I had the same thought.  Normally these things are named after presidents and sometimes sec. nav. or sec def.

Convention would have stated that Miller should have had a destroyer named after him long ago.

A frigate in 1973. But we have an unconventional President.

That being said, I'm partial about cooks of all varieties. My first thought when reading the story was, "what a wonderful  way of celebrating a new class of warship that might turn out to be one of the most environmentally-friendly out there under the Green New Deal". (insert sarcasm emoji here)

I'm all for it. And very happy to have known about Mr. Miller.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ricordo said:

A frigate in 1973. But we have an unconventional President.

That being said, I'm partial about cooks of all varieties. My first thought when reading the story was, "what a wonderful  way of celebrating a new class of warship that might turn out to be one of the most environmentally-friendly out there under the Green New Deal". (insert sarcasm emoji here)

I'm all for it. And very happy to have known about Mr. Miller.

Miller holds a special place In history.  Hell of a man. Wonder if he has any relatives who can christen the ship.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Fnfalman said:

Battleships were named after the Great States. I think some of th submarines are now named after the States. 

I think that was the idea but the Navy is ever in transition on that sort of thing, so it's kinda weird.

The boomers are all named after states (Ohio class) and the attack subs were named after cities (Los Angeles class), but now the Navy is naming attack subs after states too.  With the next class of SSBNs named after cities I think.

It's confusing, man.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, blueiron said:

I don't know that they should be named after politicians or anyone still alive.  GHWB would be an exception since he was a naval aviator.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I don't know that they should be named after politicians or anyone still alive.  GHWB would be an exception since he was a naval aviator.

USS Jimmy Carter is likely the most advanced submarine anywhere in the world as a Seal Wolf class.   She was named after him as a president but also because he was a submarine man.

Miller looked like a man who needed to be a sailor.  Dang sure i wouldn't pick a fight with him on shore leave and would be happy the tossing punches along his side.

As long as i end up in the brig with an unexplained but well done and placed tattoo.

A man has to have his standards.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Historian said:

USS Jimmy Carter is likely the most advanced submarine anywhere in the world as a Seal Wolf class.   She was named after him as a president but also because he was a submarine man.

Miller looked like a man who needed to be a sailor.  Dang sure i wouldn't pick a fight with him on shore leave and would be happy the tossing punches along his side.

As long as i end up in the brig with an unexplained but well done and placed tattoo.

A man has to have his standards.

I forgot about the Jimmy Carter and definitely agree he should have something named after him, for his naval service.  Crap president that he was, he is also a really good person.

I would have still waited until after he's dead though.  

And I don't know that the Seawolf class is any more advanced than the Virginia class anymore.  The Virginia class were meant to be "Seawolf Light" but they have had a lot of advancements since the class was introduced.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I forgot about the Jimmy Carter and definitely agree he should have something named after him, for his naval service.  Crap president that he was, he is also a really good person.

I would still wait until after he's dead though.  

And I don't know that the Seawolf class is any more advanced than the Virginia class anymore.  The Virginia class were meant to be "Seawolf Light" but they have had a lot of advancements since the class was introduced.

I wasn't in the silent service so i can only speculate based on what i read that the Wolf series was a hell of a boat.  

Carter was hand picked by the Adm. who started the US Navy's nuclear navy program.    He would have been a flag officer had he not left to take over the family business.   Apparently, Carter's brother drove it into the ground...and he turned it around.   When people say he was a peanut farmer they don't realize he was one of the biggest farmers in all of Georgia.

I didn't care for him as a president.   But i always thought he had a future in places other that politics.   In fact, he still teaches Sunday School.

I'd sit in for a lesson with him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Historian said:

I wasn't in the silent service so i can only speculate based on what i read that the Wolf series was a hell of a boat.  

Carter was hand picked by the Adm. who started the US Navy's nuclear navy program.    He would have been a flag officer had he not left to take over the family business.   Apparently, Carter's brother drove it into the ground...and he turned it around.   When people say he was a peanut farmer they don't realize he was one of the biggest farmers in all of Georgia.

I didn't care for him as a president.   But i always thought he had a future in places other that politics.   In fact, he still teaches Sunday School.

I'd sit in for a lesson with him.

I wasn't in the military.  I just have piles of useless knowledge in my head.

Not just any Admiral - Admiral Hyman G. Rickover.  The Father of the Nuclear navy.  Dude was a legend, and is the main reason the Navy has had such a great safety record with Nuclear power.  He was unyielding on safety standards.

Funny bit on the Virginia class - this is what they use to control the periscope:

image.0.jpg

Yes - that's a video game controller - specifically for an Xbox 360.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/19/16333376/us-navy-military-xbox-360-controller

Replaced a $38,000 controller with one that they can get at Gamestop for around $45 I think.

Edited by SC Tiger

5 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

I wasn't in the military.  I just have piles of useless knowledge in my head.

Not just any Admiral - Admiral Hyman G. Rickover.  The Father of the Nuclear navy.  Dude was a legend, and is the main reason the Navy has had such a great safety record with Nuclear power.  He was unyielding on safety standards.

Funny bit on the Virginia class - this is what they use to control the periscope:

image.0.jpg

Yes - that's a video game controller - specifically for an Xbox 360.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/19/16333376/us-navy-military-xbox-360-controller

Replaced a $38,000 controller with one that they can get at Gamestop for around $45 I think.

I was around during the proposals for the "Photonic Mast" on the latest Submarines..

This was a mast that held a multitude of video cameras of different wavelength  responses, connected through the hull with an optical fiber and an optical rotary joint.  This joint is a marvel in itself).

The advantage of a Photonic Mast is that, where the Submarine once had two holes through the pressure hull of up to a foot or two in diameter, it now could have a hole through the pressure hull of an inch or two.

Again, the advantage of the small hole through the pressure hull of a submarine is that they now can go to considerably deeper depths.  The primary limit on a submarine's depth today, is the very large holes in the pressure hull, to accommodate an optical periscope. (two at least, for redundancy).

So you can see the immediate advantage to the Photonic Mast technology!  It's the significant OPERATING DEPTH INCREASE!