Jury Duty Tomorrow

When they ask stupid questions, they get stupid answers.  There is one woman I never want to be my counsel if I ever get into trouble.  She related that her client was a convicted felon that was seen in possession of firearm in public, and whether we would give the maximum sentence to her client?  I piped up, "Isn't he innocent until proven guilty, and you are not asking how the sentencing phase would be decided?"

Then she cam back with "Would you accept the witness of one person that my client was illegally in possession of a firearm?"

I replied, "No, how do I know the witness is credible and has knowledge of what a real firearm as opposed to a black water pistol?"

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Moshe said:

Got dismissed.  It just took two hours of my life.  A lot of sour looks about my Kippah, but nothing formally done about it.  So, all is well that ends well.

Just a guess, but.  I would wager that you got released because of your LEO background, not because of your religion.

I don't believe that any lawyer wants to plead a case for the accused, to a person whose lifelong vocation was apprehending law breakers.  Your standards for personal behavior would be too high.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Just a guess, but.  I would wager that you got released because of your LEO background, not because of your religion.

I don't believe that any lawyer wants to plead a case for the accused, to a person whose lifelong vocation was apprehending law breakers.  Your standards for personal behavior would be too high.

I know that.  Also being disabled was in my favor.  It was funny going through the metal detector since I have metal snaps in my shirt.  The security officer decided to get me a reach around my waist  I wasn't wearing a belt.  I was tempted to say, "You might want to buy me lunch first,"  but they already seemed pissed off more than usual, so I didn't push the issue.  :)

• Haha 1

Just now, Moshe said:

I know that.  Also being disabled was in my favor.  It was funny going through the metal detector since I have metal snaps in my shirt.  The security officer decided to get me a reach around my waist  I wasn't wearing a belt.  I was tempted to say, "You might want to buy me lunch first,"  but they already seemed pissed off more than usual, so I didn't push the issue.  :)

I was surprised when I was picked for a jury trial.  the case was a child molestation case by another girls father, and I didn't think anyone would want an Engineer that might only look at the facts.

Two elderly retired school teachers on the jury actually stated that they didn't want to convict because they said, this conviction would punish the guy forever, while the pre-teen would "get over it".  I was fit to be tied!

I argued as hard as I could to get a final conviction, on the basis that punishing the guy after the conviction was the point and I didn't believe that any female, "would get over it".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

I was surprised when I was picked for a jury trial.  the case was a child molestation case by another girls father, and I didn't think anyone would want an Engineer that might only look at the facts.

Two elderly retired school teachers on the jury actually stated that they didn't want to convict because they said, this conviction would punish the guy forever, while the pre-teen would "get over it".  I was fit to be tied!

I argued as hard as I could to get a final conviction, on the basis that punishing the guy after the conviction was the point and I didn't believe that any female, "would get over it".

That would be one hung jury.  I would lean back and simply say guilty, now discuss amongst yourselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After hearing about everyone's experiences with jury duty, I have come to the conclusion that I cannot be tried by a jury of my peers, because there will never be 12 right-minded people in the same place at the same time.  We are surrounded by idiots.  idiocracy is real

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1