New Year's Resolutions

crockett

Nice!  I'm amazed by people that can build furniture pieces.  I can build sheds, or frame houses, or decks, but furniture is way above my skill level.  I inherited about half a dozen old school giant clamps from my grandpa, who was a master carpenter.  6' long cast iron monsters.  Totally cool.  Ex-wife sold them at a yard sale while I was at work.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

Nice!  I'm amazed by people that can build furniture pieces.  I can build sheds, or frame houses, or decks, but furniture is way above my skill level.  I inherited about half a dozen old school giant clamps from my grandpa, who was a master carpenter.  6' long cast iron monsters.  Totally cool.  Ex-wife sold them at a yard sale while I was at work.  

It’s more a matter of tools.  If you can build sheds, you can build furniture.  Saw, drill, clamps.  For some of the fancier stuff, a router table and a good fence.  Like these:  

121FBA5B-0E60-4DED-B7C3-3D1EE755109A.thumb.jpeg.4f93a277140aad67692bd36b8f26c453.jpeg6322866B-A322-4671-89F5-62C55BF9AE77.thumb.jpeg.d03660c6fe9c20ade2ea392104ec2454.jpegBut most furniture is done the same way as your shed, just smaller scale.  And the same patience to learn as when you learned to build the sheds.  

Of course, right now your mind is on something way more important.  Just make sure that those closets get cleaned out.  ?? 

Hawk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

If you get serious about furniture, you will find that the majority of finesse is in hiding joints, while still making them structurally sound.  The reason for the multitude of varieties of joints is because some designs preclude some kinds of joints, and some structural requirements require other types of joints.

I built a cabinet that necessitated a particular type of joint in the top cross piece, to hold everything together while it was being assembled.  I found no other way to do this while keeping all the assembly joints in the rest of the piece, tight.  

My point is that, if you are contemplating building furniture, get a book on how to make various joints and the rest is simply, careful measuring, careful cutting, and careful finishing.  Good luck.  I forgot to mention that the cost of good materials will be far in excess of other types of wood work.

• Like 3