WA I-1639

Cougar_ml

Well, this state took one more step into the dark side, looks like I-1639 is going to pass/has passed.

https://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/finaltext_1531.pdf

So I just reread the entire text, and found one more reason to do AR-15 with a brace instead of as a rifle or SBR.

If I am reading the text correctly, when this goes into effect, every single purchase of a semi-auto rifle will now require approved training class to purchase, and a 10 day waiting period.  That includes things like the 10-22, because "semi-automatic rifle" is getting changed to "semi-automatic assault rifle".  There appear to be no exceptions to the training or waiting period.

If you purchase it as a semi-auto pistol, and have a concealed carry permit, you don't have to wait for a pistol, you can walk out with it right away.  There is also no training requirement to buy or own a semi-auto pistol.  Kind of seems dumb to me, when you compare firearm crimes, that pistols make up the vast majority of them, but they will now actually be less burdensome to purchase than a semi-auto rifle.

Oh, and it doesn't talk anywhere (that I could see) about the fact that you can purchase a stripped receiver with no concealed carry permit or any type of training, essentially bypassing this law in it's entirety.  (for those that don't know, a stripped receiver can be sold as "other" and not as a rifle OR a pistol.

1 hour ago, steve4102 said:

It passed with over a 60% majority.

That tells me that a hell of a lot of Gun Owners votes "YES" for this. a lot.

King County (Seattle) had over 500k yes votes on it by themselves , and only 150k no.  If you removed them from the ballot, then it's about a 50/50 tie for the rest of the state right now, with half a million votes still left to be counted.

I think the biggest problem is too many people don't bother to read and try to understand any of this stuff anymore.  They get everything they know from the political ads on TV, and those never tell much of the actual impacts of the initiatives. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So the law is supposed to be implemented in 2 parts.  The first part, enacted on Jan 1st, is that people ages 18-20 are no longer legally allowed to purchase assault weapons.

The second part, the training requirements and the redefining of "semiautomatic rifle" into "semiautomatic assault rifle" doesn't happen until July 1st.

So because the definition change doesn't legally take effect until July, there is no such thing as a "semiautomatic assault rifle" until then, and anyone who is 18-20 can legally purchase semiautomatic rifles in WA until July 1st.

https://thelibertarianrepublic.com/wa-gun-dealer-defies-new-gun-law-legally/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jammersix said:

That tells me you don't know anything about Washington state politics.

Psst, I wasn't talking about Politics, I was referring to voters, specifically Gun Owner voters and how they support the Constitution.

...and NO, politics and the Constitution are not the same thing.

23 hours ago, Mr. Black said:

#willnotcomply

Most of it has to do with new requirements in order to purchase from a gun store.  As it's been illegal to make any purchase that doesn't use an FFL for the transfer, there really isn't a whole lot of non compliance we can do at the end purchaser level other than order a bunch of guns before the law takes effect on July 1.  I seriously doubt that anyone with an FFL is going to risk breaking state law over this.

As for the "safe storage" section, I've read it a couple times, and to me short of deliberately allowing a convicted felon into your house with your knowledge, and leaving the firearms somewhere easily accessible to that felon, it doesn't really seem to do a whole lot.  I'm sure they will try to go after a few people up in Seattle to try to make an example out of them, when crooks force entry into a home/apartment and steal a gun they'll try to find a way to blame the homeowner for it, but I can only hope either a sensible judge or jury will not play along with their delusions.

Now, when they start getting around to doing magazine confiscation or having to modify firearms to comply with arbitrary feature laws, then I'll be in the #willnotcomply boat with you, which seems to have an unfortunate tendency to sink with all firearms lost.

1 minute ago, Cougar_ml said:

As for the "safe storage" section, I've read it a couple times, and to me short of deliberately allowing a convicted felon into your house with your knowledge,

That's all I care about.  The rest of the bullshit will not affect me.  

26 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

As for the "safe storage" section, I've read it a couple times, and to me short of deliberately allowing a convicted felon into your house with your knowledge, and leaving the firearms somewhere easily accessible to that felon, it doesn't really seem to do a whole lot

I think it has more to do with children than felons. At least that's what my neighbors (I live in Seattle) are concerned with.

13 minutes ago, Jammersix said:

I think it has more to do with children than felons. At least that's what my neighbors (I live in Seattle) are concerned with.

I can see that being the case, as nobody knows their neighbors anymore and parents don't want to be responsible for their children, and would rather let public education and social media be responsible for raising them.  

I personally don't think the law will change anything, not one bit.  The people who don't properly secure their firearms or teach their children proper respect and handling of them aren't going to bother changing their habits, and the ones who do care won't have any problems because their children rarely behave like that.  

My biggest issue is short of buying a full on industrial grade safe, there is nothing that will prevent someone from breaking into a firearms storage cabinet.  If a child or prohibited person is determined, there is nothing you can do to prevent them from doing something stupid.  The recent high speed crash involving a 14 year old and some friends out throwing eggs at other vehicles then ramming and killing an innocent person is just one of many examples.

Thinking back to when my children and grand children were little, I wouldn't trust their judgement. I wouldn't trust their reliance on my teaching-- I had to punish them too many times to believe that if I taught them something, it was a done deal.

I wouldn't rely on "I told you not to touch the guns! Ever!"

I'd only rely on "they can't get to the guns, no matter what they do. Can't. Ever."

I bought a full-on, industrial grade safe long ago.

31 minutes ago, Jammersix said:

Thinking back to when my children and grand children were little, I wouldn't trust their judgement. I wouldn't trust their reliance on my teaching-- I had to punish them too many times to believe that if I taught them something, it was a done deal.

I wouldn't rely on "I told you not to touch the guns! Ever!"

I'd only rely on "they can't get to the guns, no matter what they do. Can't. Ever."

I bought a full-on, industrial grade safe long ago.

do you have any provisions for quick access to a firearm or two in case of emergency?

• Like 1

Only what I carry.

The weak spot of my system is that I have to sleep, and when I sleep, one defensive weapon sleeps on the table next to the bed. It's available to anyone who can make it past the dog without waking either one of us.

Up until both kids left home, there was no defensive weapon when I was asleep.

I'm not wise enough to know how you have fast access to a gun with small children (small children being any kid under about 40) in the house. My answer was to live without it until the children left.

Edited by Jammersix

We are.

We also probably agree that it isn't the physical doors or locks that make it so. My doors are flimsy. I want the fire department to be able to come through them like they're not even there. Therefore the perimeter of my house won't stop anyone, including a determined teenager. The only thing my doors will stop reliably is weather.

The only possible disagreement we have is the children who live inside that vessel that neither one of us want finding guns, or the teenagers who have decided to cross that perimeter for reasons of their own.

Intruders and children are the reasons I installed a safe inside that perimeter.

Edited by Jammersix