My WW1 Rifles

DrB

15 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I'd like to have one in 7mm Mauser caliber but I'd be tempted to re-chamber it for 280 Remington. Another gun I've always lusted for is a 1917 Remington that was re-barreled to 375 H&H  but only one that had been done by a gunsmith who did a good job of it. I've seen a few. I've also seen ones in 300 H&H, 300 Apex and even 300 Weatherby. The 1917 action is longer than a Mauser action and will accommodate full length cartridges such as the ones already mentioned and also the 8mm Rem magnum, the 416 Remington and even the 338-416 which can duplicate 338 Lapua ballistics.

Friend of mine had a P.O. Ackley Improved 300 H&H.  Don't know what action it was built on, but was a beautiful rifle.  He Passed last year so I don't know what happened to the rifle.  I have some of the brass around here somewhere..

Dave..

Edited by DrB
Caps Lock on....

On 11/21/2018 at 8:25 PM, Borg warner said:

I'd like to have one in 7mm Mauser caliber but I'd be tempted to re-chamber it for 280 Remington. Another gun I've always lusted for is a 1917 Remington that was re-barreled to 375 H&H  but only one that had been done by a gunsmith who did a good job of it. I've seen a few. I've also seen ones in 300 H&H, 300 Apex and even 300 Weatherby. The 1917 action is longer than a Mauser action and will accommodate full length cartridges such as the ones already mentioned and also the 8mm Rem magnum, the 416 Remington and even the 338-416 which can duplicate 338 Lapua ballistics.

Art Alphin who owned A-Square used to build the Hannibal dangerous game rifles on M-1917 actions in calibers from the .30 belted Magnums up to the .577 Tyranosaur. I’ve always wanted to find one in .375 H&H myself. 

Very nice @DrB

I have an Eddystone that was rebarreled sometime later (WWII?) with a Johnson Automatics two groove barrel. When I bought it back in the late 80's it was $100 at a local gun auction. The barrel is immaculate. At one point I put a cock-on-open firing pin assembly in it but later put it back to its original configuration. They are classics.