School me on the Walther PPK

Collim1

My father has wanted a PPK .380 for as long as I can remember. He will never buy one for himself, so I am planning to buy him one for Christmas.  

I want a made in Germany PPK. I also want an actual PPK and not the PPK/s.  I don’t care about any of the collector valued guns like the pre-war and Nazi Germany era guns.  I’m also not interested in the made in USA S&W guns. 

I just want him to have a legit shooter he can be proud of and maybe even carry.

I’m watching a few auctions on GB, and searched for recent completed auctions to get an idea of pricing.

Other than that, what do I need to know?

• Like 2

Long, heavy first double action pull.  In .380, for some reason, it's recoil bothered me more than most 9mms of comparable size, like the G43.  I think it just focused the recoil all in one spot on my hand.  And the slide rode the top of my shooting hand, leaving railroad tracks.  I think I had a grip too high on the pistol for how it's designed.  Traded mine a while back.  Great historical weapon, of course.  Disassembly procedure unlike anything I'd experienced before, and I hated the idea of "metal on metal" contact during disassembly.

My memory may be a bit addled but wasn't the ppk/s created for the US market, since the Gun Control Act of 1968 meant the original ppk didn't earn enough "points" to be imported here?  If that's the case, I would imagine your search for a German made Walther ppk would limit you to guns imported more than 50 years ago.  I've owned four of the ppk/s models (would want one, sell it, miss having it, buy another...) so I can appreciate the interest your father has in owning an original.  You may want to check to see if that option is practical or not.

In 1978 Ranger Manufacturing of Gadsden, Alabama was licensed to manufacture the PPK & the PPK/S; which was distributed by Interarms of Alexandria, Virginia.
Starting in 2002, Smith & Wesson began manufacturing the PPK & PPK/S under license until 2017 when Walther began producing them again at their new US manufacturing plant in Fort Smith, Arkansas.

• 1 month later...
Great pistols. I have had two and carried one a a backup on patrol. They are super thin and carry well.
Skip an interarms. Smith makes a good one but they are pricey.

I also carried one as a BUG on duty. My partner and I both had Interarms stainless PPK (no S) and they were superb.

Two things to note:

- this pistol does much better with a well done ramp & throat polish.

- if carrying for self defense I suggest several rounds to ensure reliability, as the PPK can be sensitive to billet profile on some of the more squared-off hollow point ammo. Were I to carry one today, I’d run the CorBon PowRBall ammo.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, Collim1 said:

BTW......All this really has me pining for a .32 PP. I doubt I’ll be able to resist that in the future.

I prefer the PP to the PPK. I wouldn't carry either one for self defense, however. They're both underpowered and they're both the size and weight of a small 9mm and they have the awful DA/SA triggers.  I think they're also not drop-safe and have to be carried either with the safety on or with no round in the chamber. I may be wrong about that but I still don't like any gun that has a 10 pound crunchy trigger pull for that all-important first shot.

For small back-up gun I'd much prefer a Sig 938 or a Kimber micro9 that could be carried cocked and locked or a Kahr PM9 that was DA only or even a G43.

Edited by Borg warner

3 hours ago, hoppyjr said:

Two things to note:

- this pistol does much better with a well done ramp & throat polish.

- if carrying for self defense I suggest several rounds to ensure reliability, as the PPK can be sensitive to billet profile on some of the more squared-off hollow point ammo. Were I to carry one today, I’d run the CorBon PowRBall ammo.

Spot on!  They are tight little pistols and as a result are sensitive to bullet profiles.

The one i have no is more of a safe queen.  I carry it when i wear a tuxedo for obvious reasons.  Seriously, i'm involved in some charity work that involves a tux and a rubber chicken dinner.

Mine was made in Germany in 1954.  Lovely pistol. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 10:50 AM, Moshe said:

You might find some on GB.  The James Bond pistol that gained popularity because of the movies.  Just like everyone wanted the Colt .44 Magnum because of the Dirty Harry movies.

I think it was the Smith & Wesson Model 29, not a Colt, but the point is valid.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 1:29 PM, Borg warner said:

I prefer the PP to the PPK. I wouldn't carry either one for self defense, however. They're both underpowered and they're both the size and weight of a small 9mm and they have the awful DA/SA triggers.  I think they're also not drop-safe and have to be carried either with the safety on or with no round in the chamber. I may be wrong about that but I still don't like any gun that has a 10 pound crunchy trigger pull for that all-important first shot.

Clearly you've never fired one