Any thoughts on the S&W SD9?

james bay area

Hello everyone.

I went to get a glock 30sf and saw the smith SD9 for 300$... pretty tempting. what appeals to me is the 16 rd mag and the cheap price.

Now i cant decide what to get first the smith or the glock 30... price doesn't matter, and i am not asking the internet to decide for me, i am just wondering if any one has any experience with the SD9? ie- is it reliable?

good deal or not really?  the smith was thinner, but i carry a 6 rd 38special, so its already kind of wide.., i am not worried about the size 

lol that's what she said until she actually saw the dam thing... she came in the house laughing so dam hard we were like-what the f u laughing at?... she said she handed him a magnum and he looked really confused and said " what do i do with that?" he pulled his junk out anyway and she couldn't believe what she saw, or rather what she DID NOT see,  she  jumped out the car and ran into the house.... laughing sooooo hard, she said dude got mad and embarrassed, she told him -you better be embarrassed... it was really really funny.. we never saw that dude around the block ever again....

is the smithy sd9 a good buy even though the trigger feels like its under water?

The Glock 30 is a better gun but as you say, the SD9 is thinner. But a G30S is also thinner than a G30sf and has the same SF frame but with a thinner slide. A G27 or G26 is even thinner and more compact and both have better triggers than the SD9 the other disadvantage to the SD9 is that I don't think the magazines are interchangeable with the M&P and spare SD9 magazines are likely to be harder to find and more expensive than M&P mags of Glock mags.

Edited by Borg warner

The SD9 is a direct decedent of the Sigma pistol, as is the M&P. The Sigma has been phased out for the updated SD line. You will get a cheap yet reliable gun for your money. I like the Sigma and have three of them in my collection, with one having a **** ton of ammo fired through it. I also carried it for a solid 15 years before I retired to to desk drawer duty. I would not be afraid of the SD line at all.

That said. I would opt for a gen 2 M&P. It sucks, but you just missed out of the rebates for those. It put some guns at around 350 after rebate. 

The SD9s feel really good in hand and would be a great, inexpensive "truck" gun but the trigger isn't all that great. Pretty sure Apex Tactical has something for them but I like the M&Ps more. I have a first gen M&P full size 9 with the original Apex striker block and sear kit that made the trigger beyond ridiculous. I've had two friends offer me way too much for it lol! I also now have a 2.0 compact 4" with the Apex trigger, sear and striker block that feels really awesome over stock.