I don't know what it is....

Old School

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love 1911s.  I had a set of aluminum grips on one of mine for exactly one trip to the range.  After shooting the gun, my hand felt like it was vibrating all day.  I took advantage of Midway's generous return policy and sent it back.  

The distressed finish is something I'm going to have to think about.  

On 8/24/2017 at 5:45 PM, Old School said:

but I like this.  I'm old school and like blued steel and wood stock/grip.  In fact I don't like faux finishes, but the force is strong with this one.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-we-the-people-full-size.html

Thanks. I like it. In fact I really like it.

Even with the high-dollar price tag, it could become my first Sig and my first 1911.

Edited to add:

I have something to live for! :anim_rofl2:

Edited by *OldSchool*
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

It’s just a 1911 pattern gun, not a true 1911! It has an external extractor!  If you want a 1911 you should buy a real one  they are awesome to shoot! I’ve never fired one of thes imatations, im sure they function fine but it really isn’t a 1911! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 6:44 PM, Sigobsessed said:

It’s just a 1911 pattern gun, not a true 1911! It has an external extractor!  If you want a 1911 you should buy a real one  they are awesome to shoot! I’ve never fired one of thes imatations, im sure they function fine but it really isn’t a 1911! 

Just curious to which is a "real one?" Would that be the original design adopted by the Military, Model of 1911, Model 1911 or M1911? Does the design changes made in the M1911A1 disqualify it as a "real one?" Does the M15 General Officer's Model fit the definition of a pattern gun or "real one" since both have internal extractor? Some folks only consider guns manufactured by Colt as true 1911's, despite the fact that many manufactures were enlisted during war time to produce the design including Springfield Armory, Singer, Remington, Ithaca and Union Switch & Signal.

Incidentally the Hi-Power original design had an internal extractor that later designs migrated to an external. Would these guns be considered Hi-Power "pattern guns"?

I have 1911's with both type extractors and series 70, 80 and Swartz designs. There are very subtle variance in the trigger actions and little difference in case ejections. One thing I can say about the original designed guns is the sights suck. The notion that a design must remain static and immune from improvements is contrary to changing consumer demands, advances in metallurgy and production technologies.

Call it what you will but the design and feature evolution of the 1911 has fueled the continued popularity of the pistol well over a 100 years. IMO, a "real one" may have historic, collector or sentimental value but don't match up to shootability of most modern equivalents.