RIA Rock Island Armoury Service

Andyd

My son got an RIA 1911 FS in 9mm a few years ago when they sold for around $400 and has always liked that gun, it was accurate and reliable but about a month ago it started to have failures to eject with different ammo. When I inspected the gun, I found the extractor to be ever so slightly worn and the tension insufficient. Instead of letting me adjust it or putting a new extractor in, my son decided to send it in to RIA. Turnaround was under two weeks and they replaced the whole upper, barrel and slide, the old billboard logo is gone and the gun works again like it is supposed to.

I am impressed with their service and wanted to share this positive experience with you.

RIA (2).jpg

RIA2.JPG

Edited by Andyd
  • Like 1

Had a ejector break on one. Had to pay to send it in but the turn around was about 2 weeks and they did a great service on it. 

Tuned extractor, polished the feed ramp and then a function and accuracy check along with replacing the extractor and fitting it.

Edited by DWARREN123
  • Like 1

There's a guy at my range with one of their 10mm double stacks.  He told me it's yet to even bobble.  On day 1 he put 200 rounds downrange with no issues.  And that was a year ago.  Every time I see him it just keeps chugging along.

I wonder if it might be prudent to do with Rock Island what we used to do with Colt.  Just make up any reason to send it in for repairs.  All warranty repairs used to be done by one of the guys in their custom shop so they always came back having had hands laid upon by a master.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boogieman said:

There's a guy at my range with one of their 10mm double stacks.  He told me it's yet to even bobble.  On day 1 he put 200 rounds downrange with no issues.  And that was a year ago.  Every time I see him it just keeps chugging along.

I wonder if it might be prudent to do with Rock Island what we used to do with Colt.  Just make up any reason to send it in for repairs.  All warranty repairs used to be done by one of the guys in their custom shop so they always came back having had hands laid upon by a master.

My son had sent it in after he had just bought it and it did not shoot POA but way too high. Both times shipping was paid by RIA. They attached a 20' test target the first time with a 1 1/2 inch group and both times a slip with the work performed. I think that some minor adjustments were done by a qualified gun smith.

Something else, they wanted the gun shipped back in the original box and advised my son to take his custom grips off and the original ones back on. Just like many other manufacturers they obviously return the gun to the original delivery status. 

I always also had good luck with S&W warranty service, which I used several times on a S&W 22A that I had shot about 110,000 rounds through with my kids when they were little. About every 20k rounds the firing pins broke and eventually S&W just sent me half a dozen FPs. At 60k the frame broke and they built a new frame with the same serial number at three weeks turn around. Uusally I just ask for the manufacturers to send me the parts and I installed them myself, shipping is often the most expensive part of a warranty repair and this cost has to be included in the price of the product somehow.

• Like 1